Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

241 - 260 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Usually don't like to put too much in the follow/unfollow stuff, but Chris Shelton, formerly of Hampton. Followed by Yolonzo Moore and he's now following Moore and Gallagher. That said, there are a ton of coaches following him, including some from Power 6 conferences, so he's definitely in major demand. If Hartford could pull this one off, a 6-4 guard who shot 48% from from 3 with three more years of eligibility 🤯

Shelton
Very interesting indeed! Good detective work.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
This was my guess as I think one of the two possibilities they bring in will probably play pg and he was recruited by them previously and I think he is on the transfer portal.

·
Registered
582 Posts

I am assuming he would have to sit out a year?

"A couple days after the end of the season, the 6-foot-9 forward with two years of eligibility remaining entered the transfer portal. His averages won’t jump off the page after playing 18 minutes per game and averaging six points, 3.6 rebounds and .7 blocks, on 63 percent shooting, but the talent is evident to anyone who watches -- including other coaches. Those coaches are now the ones blowing up his phone, trying to recruit him to their school."

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
The NCAA is expected to pass a rule allowing everyone a one-time transfer with immediate eligibility so I have a feeling he will be eligible this coming season. It's pretty much a free-for-all right now in college athletics...nobody using a year of eligibility, free transfers, etc.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #250

I am assuming he would have to sit out a year?

"A couple days after the end of the season, the 6-foot-9 forward with two years of eligibility remaining entered the transfer portal. His averages won’t jump off the page after playing 18 minutes per game and averaging six points, 3.6 rebounds and .7 blocks, on 63 percent shooting, but the talent is evident to anyone who watches -- including other coaches. Those coaches are now the ones blowing up his phone, trying to recruit him to their school."
great article. As umaine said it’s likely that transfers this year will be eligible immediately.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
I’d be surprised if we don’t bring in an experienced PG as well. Gal did say 2 or 3 guys if I’m not mistaken he thinks he can get? I’m not sure how the lineup will look but I guess that is a good problem to have. If we don’t sign anybody else maybe Moses plays PG Williams at the 2 Marks Stafl & Kimbrough up front? Would make a much deeper bench. We did need a shot blocker ( Ellison provided that last year) and Kimbrough will definitely provide that.

·
The People's Champ
867 Posts
I’d be surprised if we don’t bring in an experienced PG as well. Gal did say 2 or 3 guys if I’m not mistaken he thinks he can get? I’m not sure how the lineup will look but I guess that is a good problem to have. If we don’t sign anybody else maybe Moses plays PG Williams at the 2 Marks Stafl & Kimbrough up front? Would make a much deeper bench. We did need a shot blocker ( Ellison provided that last year) and Kimbrough will definitely provide that.
Excellent pickup and agreed that he starts right away. No question about it.

You’re absolutely right, Gal did say he was in on a couple ‘program changing’ guys. This was def the 1st shoe to drop. Agreed that their biggest need is a PG. But, how much is it a need to not mess with the backcourt going in with Flowers, Henry, DJ, and Henderson? Its already crowded.

For starters with this roster... thats tough one...BUT if you want Stafl, Marks and Kimbrough to all start, that means Marks is playing the three? Kimbrough 4 and Stafl stays under the basket... its a tough call. Good problem to have I guess

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #255

You’re absolutely right, Gal did say he was in on a couple ‘program changing’ guys. This was def the 1st shoe to drop. Agreed that their biggest need is a PG. But, how much is it a need to not mess with the backcourt going in with Flowers, Henry, DJ, and Henderson? Its already crowded.

For starters with this roster... thats tough one...BUT if you want Stafl, Marks and Kimbrough to all start, that means Marks is playing the three? Kimbrough 4 and Stafl stays under the basket... its a tough call. Good problem to have I guess
I think one thing that will also help is you don’t need the starters now to play 35-40 minutes .....maybe they play 25-32 since we will have more firepower from the bench. Plus their style of play has now changed to a pressure filled aggressive defense. Maybe the pressure can even increase since our bench will be deeper and foul trouble might not be as worrisome.

Maybe Williams continues to play the 3 ( he is a great rebounder) and you basically have Marks/Stafl/Webley/ and Kimbrough dividing the 80 minutes from the 4 & 5 spots.

Assuming they stay I’d also love to see how Briggs & Gray progress having a true off-season and OOC games this year.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Good problems to have indeed. That's why I almost wonder if the fit is more of a pure wing for that reason. It is definitely a difficult balancing act to maximize this current window, without scaring off what appears to be some very promising young guys that could be here for 3+ more years like Flowers and Henderson.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I know Carter leaves a huge void at the point, but man, I keep thinking to how much of a mismatch Williams is for opponents at the 3, how Hartford was only 6th in the conference in 3-point percentage and how limited the perimeter shooting was after DJ went down (yes, against a possible national champion in Baylor), and I just keep going back to how big it would be to somehow land Shelton from Hampton.

I know PG is a major need, but as Razor mentioned, the backcourt is pretty crowded. Also, I think Carter's impact as a point and defender has overshadowed the fact he was the team's second best 3-point shooter.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
I know Carter leaves a huge void at the point, but man, I keep thinking to how much of a mismatch Williams is for opponents at the 3, how Hartford was only 6th in the conference in 3-point percentage and how limited the perimeter shooting was after DJ went down (yes, against a possible national champion in Baylor), and I just keep going back to how big it would be to somehow land Shelton from Hampton.

I know PG is a major need, but as Razor mentioned, the backcourt is pretty crowded. Also, I think Carter's impact as a point and defender has overshadowed the fact he was the team's second best 3-point shooter.
Good points. Do remember that Flowers in his freshman year was one of our best 3 point shooters. My guess is his percentage will improve but I agree whether it is a starter or off the bench we need a 3 point shooter. Plus Marks 3 was way off this year. Hopefully he can get his percentage back up as a guy shooting 3’s at his size is hard to defend.

·
Premium Member
33,619 Posts
Reactions: RazorRamon
241 - 260 of 350 Posts