Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

261 - 280 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hmmmm...Carter hasn’t made his final decision.

Gallagher has publicly said Carter would not be returning. I wonder if Kimbrough’s decision to come over from Lasalle has made Carter reconsider.

·
Registered
205 Posts
FWIW: Yolonzo Moore is currently following Davion Buster, a 5-10 junior, who just announced his transfer from Lamar yesterday. Not to make too many assumptions from Twitter follows, but I would say its a sign that a Carter return is not imminent.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
FWIW: Yolonzo Moore is currently following Davion Buster, a 5-10 junior, who just announced his transfer from Lamar yesterday. Not to make too many assumptions from Twitter follows, but I would say its a sign that a Carter return is not imminent.
I would agree. In interviews Gal was so open about Carter not returning that I would be surprised if he did. I am also curious if anybody decides to transfer out of Hartford. I am actually surprised that I’ve heard nothing in this regard.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would agree. In interviews Gal was so open about Carter not returning that I would be surprised if he did. I am also curious if anybody decides to transfer out of Hartford. I am actually surprised that I’ve heard nothing in this regard.
Per VerbalCommits, Hartford is at 13 scholarships for next year and Kurtis Henderson would make 14. I know a couple places listed Williams as a senior so maybe he doesn't count, but even still, they're looking at quite a few guards despite seemingly being full.

I'd be shocked if no one transfers out. Heck, there's about 1,200 players in the portal, the odds of any school being completely spared is nil.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
This happens somewhat regularly at this level. CCSU has had this debates and reviews in the 1980s and again in 2017, which led to the school dropping of M/W Golf (Athletics Sustainability Task Force). Eastern Washington, a fairly successful program in the Big Sky is going through this right now. I doubt anything as drastic as dropping down to D-II or D-III is really a possibility for Hartford, but it certainly isn't good news for Hawk fans.

That being said, if Hartford was make a major change to athletics and drop out of D-I, Central Connecticut State is ready to take their place in a America East, a league we've been interested in since the 1980s. :)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Wow that really would suck. Curious what reality there is to this.
Yeah, these things usually don't make that much news, but the contents are pretty grim.​
The study recommends that “UHart should explore viable membership options in NCAA Division Three that will align with the university’s mission.”
Also, not good when the MAAC Commission retweets the article.​

·
Registered
2,176 Posts

The TV station took down the old link and reposted with a different title.

Anyway, if you don't think there aren't a lot of schools like Hartford and even other schools in the league that are having these convos, time to get your head out of the sand. I've said in the conference expansion/realignment thread that we'll see D3s close or drop sports, D2s move down to D3, and now it's going to be D1s looking to head all the way down...with enough D2s still chasing the dragon thinking they'll be able to move up and get "more exposure." Whether these D1 schools do it or not, who knows, but you can't keep asking to increase fees and all of that to cover you when you never make money.

It's sad but ultimately the Hartford president isn't wrong in anything he said.

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
When this first came out it was they were doing a study...2 hours later the study is out and yikes...this feels like a done deal. Hope I'm wrong...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Very surprisingly, there isn't a lot of wiggle room in the study's conclusions and recommendations - just drop to D-III. Usually, there are things to increase revenues (fundraising) and lower expenses (drop sports) to maintain the status quo.

At first I doubted this was anything more than a study or faculty-led push for more academic funding, but this seems to have some buy-in from leadership. Still, this would be a drastic measure and it will be up to the athletic department, students, and alumni to rally to the D-I cause. I'm not sure how big the support is, but if it is lacking, it would make it easer to make the move.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The most disturbing part, by far, was the comments by the President in the video. Without saying it, he made it quite clear what his stance on the situation is :mad:

Also, I'm not going to be naïve and say that athletic programs like Hartford are making money right now in the times of the pandemic. However, the claims of $13 million in losses doesn't pass the smell test when talking about a University that doesn't have football or hockey, has largely on-campus facilities and is in a conference where all of it's members are close enough that they don't have to get on a plane for league play.

·
Registered
205 Posts
As an aside, if we want to talk about expenses and use of resources, I don't even want to think about how much money was spent to hire an outside firm for something like this to tell them that they're losing money.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
As an aside, if we want to talk about expenses and use of resources, I don't even want to think about how much money was spent to hire an outside firm for something like this to tell them that they're losing money.
Point taken...

so what do you think is happening this evening? Did the President call a meeting with every coach to smooth things over And answer questions? How do you smooth things over after an interview that was pretty revealing as to your feelings? Maybe you don’t smooth things over rather you declare your intentions? My guess is if this did happen it would be a 2-4 year transition? After this possible meeting does each coaching staff now have to have emergency meetings with the players?

i understand the economics of this ( if in fact the numbers are true) but why no recommendations ( at least from what I have heard so far) like if you do x then you save y....etc. ?

49 minutes ago an Alum posted a pic of him with Gal....Gal responded saying” My man....2016 grad....Love ur energy....and we will be back in the tournament- TRUST ME- neighborhood

·
Registered
205 Posts
Point taken...

so what do you think is happening this evening? Did the President call a meeting with every coach to smooth things over And answer questions? How do you smooth things over after an interview that was pretty revealing as to your feelings? Maybe you don’t smooth things over rather you declare your intentions? My guess is if this did happen it would be a 2-4 year transition? After this possible meeting does each coaching staff now have to have emergency meetings with the players?

i understand the economics of this ( if in fact the numbers are true) but why no recommendations ( at least from what I have heard so far) like if you do x then you save y....etc. ?

49 minutes ago an Alum posted a pic of him with Gal....Gal responded saying” My man....2016 grad....Love ur energy....and we will be back in the tournament- TRUST ME- neighborhood
I would say he needs to have meetings with coaches/athletic department, but considering how obvious his feeling were in that video, I don't think you can just walk back those comments to your coaches.

At an absolute bare minimum, in a sign of good faith, either drop the interim tag for Maria Feeley or hire an outside AD immediately. This is not a commentary on Maria's performance in any way. But the fact that they've been working with an interim AD for 18 months is not only embarrassing, but undermines their credibility when it comes to being serious about athletics.

261 - 280 of 350 Posts