Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

481 - 500 of 652 Posts

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I kinda let it go the first five times I heard it, but I guess on the sixth time I had to finally ask the question: Like, you don't just fire university presidents on the spot, right? I get it, this must be very frustrating and somewhat traumatic for Hartford fans across the board. And whatever faith you had in the top brass in your administration prior to this is surely shaken or completely dissolved. But...guys with jobs like this don't just show up one day with a public safety officer in their office and a couple of bankers boxes full of their stuff, especially not over some questionable PR, regardless of how many times the question is posed.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 ·
I kinda let it go the first five times I heard it, but I guess on the sixth time I had to finally ask the question: Like, you don't just fire university presidents on the spot, right? I get it, this must be very frustrating and somewhat traumatic for Hartford fans across the board. And whatever faith you had in the top brass in your administration prior to this is surely shaken or completely dissolved. But...guys with jobs like this don't just show up one day with a public safety officer in their office and a couple of bankers boxes full of their stuff, especially not over some questionable PR, regardless of how many times the question is posed.
Even if they could....most Of the regents were picked by Gregory so there is that....

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 ·
So this study claims they double counted some numbers and would only save 1 million moving to D3 not 10 million.
I wonder Exactly how this was presented when hiring the company for the initial study? Obviously the President wanted the numbers to look like they did from the initial study.
If they in fact did double count some numbers Hartford should demand their money back from this study.

·
The People's Champ
884 Posts
So this study claims they double counted some numbers and would only save 1 million moving to D3 not 10 million.
I wonder Exactly how this was presented when hiring the company for the initial study? Obviously the President wanted the numbers to look like they did from the initial study.
If they in fact did double count some numbers Hartford should demand their money back from this study.
Maybe it wasn’t the consultants that provided them that savings number, maybe it was the spin doctors at the university.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Well, on the flip side this study is by a guy who is generally hired to keep schools in D-I. I'm not sure you can point to either study and say "that's it, that's the one true study." Consultants come with built in biases, and they also are prone to answer the question in a way that the person commissioning the study wants.

Accounting in collegiate athletic departments is fuzzy enough before we start dealing in hypotheticals.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think it speaks volumes that U of H enrollment has declined dramatically during Woodward's tenure while other similar sized Connecticut schools have grown. This seems to be the glaring problem - not athletics. His lack of transparency coupled with his damning emails (where he intends to spin the accounting) is strong evidence of his lack of character. I have no doubt whatsoever the numbers in his study have been cooked to suit his agenda He is a failure and not capable of leading a higher learning institution.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thats the thing that’s frustrating... where is the public outcry from persons of power within the institution? Coaches, have been silent, dead silent
Well, on that topic, if my “interim boss” also doubled as my company’s legal counsel, I’d stay on the straight and narrow to protect myself and my team. I don’t deal with lawyers much, thankfully, but that’s gotta be less than ideal to deal with if they were my boss and reported to the CEO that wanted to downsize my department...

On the outside of the school point, I think the Friends of the Neighborhood will start to grow and show their strength as more alumni get involved.

What screws Hartford over a little is the best former student athlete that spoke out (Jerry Kelly) earned 29 mil in his career, so some pull with his voice, but not massive.

Their best athlete (Bagwell) earned 129 mil, but has never had a good relationship with athletics since he left, so there’s no voice there.

And in their most notable basketball alum in Vin squandered his 100 mil, so he gives voice and visibility and has attended games, but when it comes to money backing up his words, an asst coach on the Bucks makes some dough, but not enough to send back to uhart. Now if he gets Giannis to take care of us, that’s another story lol.

·
The People's Champ
884 Posts
Well, on that topic, if my “interim boss” also doubled as my company’s legal counsel, I’d stay on the straight and narrow to protect myself and my team. I don’t deal with lawyers much, thankfully, but that’s gotta be less than ideal to deal with if they were my boss and reported to the CEO that wanted to downsize my department...

On the outside of the school point, I think the Friends of the Neighborhood will start to grow and show their strength as more alumni get involved.

What screws Hartford over a little is the best former student athlete that spoke out (Jerry Kelly) earned 29 mil in his career, so some pull with his voice, but not massive.

Their best athlete (Bagwell) earned 129 mil, but has never had a good relationship with athletics since he left, so there’s no voice there.

And in their most notable basketball alum in Vin squandered his 100 mil, so he gives voice and visibility and has attended games, but when it comes to money backing up his words, an asst coach on the Bucks makes some dough, but not enough to send back to uhart. Now if he gets Giannis to take care of us, that’s another story lol.
True, soo they’re screwed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
True, soo they’re screwed?
I just think they’re forced to stay quiet for their own sake. If Gal wasn’t down with initiative to get other studies, etc. he woulda told them to save their money.

I just think as long as we don’t let this die and keep gaining more attention and monentum, I don’t think the board will make the switch. All ya gotta do is start naming their companies (Like, really, who would want to work for or buy from Stanley Black+Decker their senior leadership supports this in their own backyard?) and interests...that’s how cancel culture works, right?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #497 ·

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #500 ·