Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
solid solid win for the Hawks. Team win. Bench push in the first half was really good to see. See what happens when you find PJ Henry minutes? He makes plays. Although this was a nice bright spot for the team, PJ didn't see the 2nd half, which was surprising. I really like DJ Mitchell, but I think Gal can find a better mix of sprinkling PJ in during games to find scoring chances. DJ has been off the past 4 games. I get it that PJ is primarily a PG, and Gal wants to use him to spell Carter, but he's gotta find time for the freshman. He plays well! anyways, don't want to take away from the solid win. Hope they keep the momentum going against UVM and gives them a really good game
That bench push was incredibly inspiring and fun to watch. I felt great for those guys! If Henry can improve his mid-range and outside shot I think he could ultimately be the beet freshman in this class. It will be his team next year so we will see how it goes.

I hope Hartford can at least keep the UVM game close. Gotta stay out of foul trouble.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I’m expecting a tough game. It’s a crucial game for UVM. Cannot really afford to be 0-2 at home in conference, so the focus better be there. Hartford will come in confident and with not much to lose.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm a Vermont fan who caught the last 5 minutes of Hartford and SB. Very impressive win for Hartford. I'm glad to see SB get the loss, but now I'm not so confident about Saturday. Congratulations!

Here's an out-of-left-field question for you guys. What's the backstory on Hartford being the only private school in an otherwise state university conference and CCSU being the only state school in an otherwise private school conference? Wouldn't it make more sense for CCSU to try to switch? There's no reason that public and private schools can't be in conferences together, but when you're considering programs with lower budgets than the high majors, the privates have a certain financial advantage. Private schools can generally create scholarships by simply not charging tuition to recruits, but public schools' spots in their entering classes are technically state assets funded by taxpayers, so they have to actually raise money to buy out the value of the scholarships that they want to award.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I'm a Vermont fan who caught the last 5 minutes of Hartford and SB. Very impressive win for Hartford. I'm glad to see SB get the loss, but now I'm not so confident about Saturday. Congratulations!

Here's an out-of-left-field question for you guys. What's the backstory on Hartford being the only private school in an otherwise state university conference and CCSU being the only state school in an otherwise private school conference? Wouldn't it make more sense for CCSU to try to switch? There's no reason that public and private schools can't be in conferences together, but when you're considering programs with lower budgets than the high majors, the privates have a certain financial advantage. Private schools can generally create scholarships by simply not charging tuition to recruits, but public schools' spots in their entering classes are technically state assets funded by taxpayers, so they have to actually raise money to buy out the value of the scholarships that they want to award.
You have to remember that when Hartford came into the conference there were a bunch of Private schools in the conference (Siena/Niagra/BU/Holy Cross/Canisius/Northeastern/Colgate)....Then when some of those schools left we still got more private schools (Drexel/Hofstra/Towson....plus state school Delaware). It was sheer luck that 3 NY state schools were ready to join the AE when the AE needed them.... which then made everything much more state school centric. I think Hartford has always been happy in this conference ... with the geographical arrangement as well as the association with the member schools.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts