Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
761 - 780 of 798 Posts

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #761 ·
The drama is certainly intriguing. At the end of the day, how do you justify running a 13 million dollar deficit yearly?
Those numbers were from the Carr report which were not factual but very much played into Woodward’s agenda. The Schwartz report and others showed a 3-6 million dollar loss. The Carr report double counted some figures.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #762 ·
I have to admit I am finding this kinda fascinating. Yeah, it's kinda like a soap opera but you have to admit it has a great plot with a fun cast of characters: the evil villains (Woodward & his board), group of good guys/gals (Gal & student-athletes), lots of twists & turns, highs & lows, truths & lies.

I hate that it is at the expense of you good Hartford fans though.

Anyway, I am staying tuned in for the next plot twist in "As the world (of Hartford) turns"...
I tweeted to one of the players that they should video footage from the day this started through the end of next year. Could be an interesting kind of last chance u kind of documentary.

·
Registered
287 Posts
anyone know if the virtual rally yesterday was a success? Also tried to find the full video from that Woodward sound bite, couldn't find it anywhere. I will say this, some of the posts I have seen on twitter have been a little ridiculous.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It is amazing to me how fraudulent the Carr Report is. How does it not factor in essential numbers like the AE exit fee, loss of arena naming sponsorship, etc? Or how does it double count over $6 million revenue dollars? These people are supposed to be professionals? Is anyone surprised Jeff Hathaway was forced out at UConn? The report is clearly not factual and was only written to further an agenda. Its no wonder there are now lawsuits.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
It is amazing to me how fraudulent the Carr Report is. How does it not factor in essential numbers like the AE exit fee, loss of arena naming sponsorship, etc? Or how does it double count over $6 million revenue dollars? These people are supposed to be professionals? Is anyone surprised Jeff Hathaway was forced out at UConn? The report is clearly not factual and was only written to further an agenda. Its no wonder there are now lawsuits.
I was thinking the same things as I was watching the video and reading that slide. It truly is mind-boggling the things that were left out of that report. But, having some friends who worked with/for Hathaway, I have to say I'm not surprised. I wouldn't trust that guy as far as I could throw him.

Reactions: South End

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #771 ·
On what grounds? Hartford is a private school. I feel bad for what has happened but the school has every right to drop to D3 if they want to. I can't picture any judge giving these lawsuits any merit. This and any other lawsuits are the definition of frivolous.
I wonder if you can sue on the grounds of incompetence.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I wonder if you can sue on the grounds of incompetence.
In the eyes of who? A lot of people walking across the campus of the University of Hartford may think this is a good move. I feel bad for you and all fans of the Hawks but the university has the right to make the decision that they made. Lawsuits are going to come in because students feelings are hurt? They have the ability to transfer and continue to play at the D1 level if they want to.

·
Registered
611 Posts
If the board is basing the move to D3 on the fraudulent Carr Report or the intentionally dishonest accounting numbers Woodward used, I think they would have a case. If you intentionally mislead people, it is fraud. Taking into account Woodward's intercepted email and the already debunked Carr Report, I think this qualifies. Maybe the plaintiffs are hoping this creates enough bad PR that the decision gets reversed.

·
Registered
287 Posts
On a related but separate note John Thrasher the AE baseball player of the year has transferred to Kentucky for his final year of eligibility. Sounds like he would have stayed if this wasn't happening.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
If the board is basing the move to D3 on the fraudulent Carr Report or the intentionally dishonest accounting numbers Woodward used, I think they would have a case. If you intentionally mislead people, it is fraud. Taking into account Woodward's intercepted email and the already debunked Carr Report, I think this qualifies. Maybe the plaintiffs are hoping this creates enough bad PR that the decision gets reversed.
That is tough to prove in court. I'm not sure what bad PR people think are going to come out of this decision. I question if most of the student-body actually cares or not. I do realize for the few passionate Hartford fans this is a huge blow and I honestly feel bad but for most people associated with the university whether that be staff and/or students I don't think they care as I don't think there is a huge out cry in the state of CT. Now if this was Uconn different story but it's not.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I'm not a Connecticut lawyer, but I think fraud would be a tough row to hoe. First off, I'm not sure that the student-athletes have a fraud claim because they were not the ones who were defrauded. The elements of fraud include the injured party's reliance on the truth of the "fact" presented. None of the student athletes relied upon the "fraudulent" Carr Report, the Board did. Maybe a Board member would have a cause of action, but I don't think a lawsuit where an athlete is like "hey, a third party was defrauded!" will go very far.

The lawsuit that was actually filed claims that the University of Hartford basically broke some sort of promise to the student-athletes who enrolled based upon the ability to play D-I sports. I have a hard time seeing that being successful. The contractual agreement in a scholarship is for the school to provide tuition and room and board. It isn't a promise of a spot on the team. And the school has said it is going to honor scholarships.

I keep coming back to this: I'm hearing a huge uproar from athletes on UH's campus, and from those already associated with Hartford athletics. Does the average student care about this?

·
Super Moderator
6,450 Posts
I saw one suggestion on Reddit that they could argue that they would lose out on NIL money if their school dropped to D3, but of course the counter argument would be they could transfer.

Honestly, if one player says they’re losing out on an internship at ESPN or any major Connecticut-based company, then an argument can be made that this is harming beyond sports, especially since it’s based on a questionable economic report, but something like that can be hard to prove.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I feel for the UHa fans, but this is a lawsuit that isn't going anywhere. And there is little chance of successful litigation anywhere to be found.

This is a private university making a strategic and institutional decision. Poor form, lousy justification ... maybe, but nothing legally will reverse the decision, especially since the Trustees are the ones that ultimately approved this.

The President may have led them to water, but they drank it. It is over and done with unless, you can replace the Trustees and a new board decides to reverse the decision.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The women's lax coach just left to start the new program at Xavier. It doesn't matter what anyone tries to do the D1 future of Hartford is cooked even if somehow they do win the lawsuit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Such a sad state. The university and will be a shell of itself. I wouldn’t be surprised if the university just goes away in a few short years. My whole confusion is why hasn’t any people with weight come out and reprimand this publicly. I haven’t heard a word from former president Harrison. I haven’t heard a word from big donors except for 1. I haven’t heard from Vin Baker or Jeff Bagwell. The investigation from media hasn’t been there. It’s just a bit head scratching.

761 - 780 of 798 Posts