Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
781 - 798 of 798 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Such a sad state. The university and will be a shell of itself. I wouldn’t be surprised if the university just goes away in a few short years. My whole confusion is why hasn’t any people with weight come out and reprimand this publicly. I haven’t heard a word from former president Harrison. I haven’t heard a word from big donors except for 1. I haven’t heard from Vin Baker or Jeff Bagwell. The investigation from media hasn’t been there. It’s just a bit head scratching.
Vin Baker is in the middle of coaching in the finals and has been in the playoffs the whole time so who knows how much he could actually do. I think Harrison knows the ship has already sailed.

as far as media goes in this state unless it has to do with UConn they don't care. They all made a big stink the first 24-36 hours and none of them have circled back to the issue. They are much more concerned with who won the Cheshire/Waterbury JV tennis tournament.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
As someone else posted if it's not UConn the state of CT doesn't care. It's a private school that is doing what they want to and it's backed by the trustees. Not much more to say.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #785 ·
If true, it shows just how toxic Hartford is right now for Blood to leave for a D3 job.
some big baseball transfers on top of it…POY Thrasher is transferring to U of Kentucky. Their best pitcher Dombrowski is transferring to Texas A & M.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I am in no way a lawyer but I suspected the lawsuit would have something to do with Woodward willingly being deceitful to the board. Did the board know the true numbers when they voted? Would it have mattered? Would they have voted the same way if they thought the cost difference was only about $1 million per year? Is this Woodward trying to scapegoat athletics for his poor leadership over the previous years? If this lawsuit has any merit I have no idea:

"The suit argues the school is breaking promises made to the student-athletes at the time of their recruitment and the decision to downgrade athletics was made on “inaccurate and misleading” information.

The lawsuit lists the errors found in the report: overestimating the cost of a D-I program and underestimating the costs of a D-III program, claiming the transition would save the school $9 million per year “when the true difference is $1 millions per year,” and ignoring the amount of money and time it would take the university to fully transition to D-III.

The lawsuit also states says University of Hartford President Gregory S. Woodward knew about the report’s errors but still recommended the downgrade to the Board.

Hearst Connecticut Media also obtained a statement addressed to the university’s Board of Regents signed by 33 current and former professional athletes who played collegiately at UHart.

The statement reads: “We are proud University of Hartford Division I professional athletes and former pros. We did not have a voice in the Board’s decision to move our proud athletic programs to Division III. In addition, President Woodward has lied and misled often, likely doing it to the Board too. We will not sit silently in either case. We urge President Woodward to resign his post, and we ask the Board to embrace the voices of the entire campus community in reconsidering this important decision."

From the Stamford Advocate

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I am in no way a lawyer but I suspected the lawsuit would have something to do with Woodward willingly being deceitful to the board. Did the board know the true numbers when they voted? Would it have mattered? Would they have voted the same way if they thought the cost difference was only about $1 million per year? Is this Woodward trying to scapegoat athletics for his poor leadership over the previous years? If this lawsuit has any merit I have no idea:
Yeah, in my non-lawyerly opinion that's what is at the heart of this, right? But doesn't that raise the question: don't they (the board) have to be the ones to make the case? Can what is effectively a third party (students/alums) sue on behalf of them claiming they were in some way defrauded...without the board even given the slightest public inkling that they have felt defrauded?

Because I feel like that's what is at the heart of this: it doesn't really matter what Woodward presented to the board, as long as the board still feels comfortable with its decision, does it? Did he have to present anything to the board, other than "This is my idea I want to move forward with, so let's just go ahead and vote on it?" I'm sure by now the board members have seen all of the subsequent articles/media pieces about the suspect math involved in the original report. I'd imagine if you had enough board members who really felt deceived on this, reversing course on this decision probably wouldn't even take a courtroom. But here we are.

The rest of the grounds feel flimsy, to me anyway. I don't think promises "that the athletes would be able to participate in Division I athletics for up to five years" are really binding if they're being made by people who aren't in charge of deciding whether Hartford competes at the D-1 level.

I suppose though I've seen people sued for less. Maybe they get some kind of settlement out of it. But I don't think it's going to turn the train around.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Blood officially leaving Hartford for D-3 Keane State. :oops: Justin Blood Named Keene State Baseball Coach - Keene State College

Forget about D3, the actions of those in charge are the actions of people that want to abolish athletics entirely.
Joe Coughlin's LinkedIn post today:

Imagine the unmitigated joy that the president of the University of Hartford, Greg Woodward, felt at the recent resignation of our Division 1 Baseball coach.
How proud must he and the “do nothing” Board of Regents feel in their first step in dismantling one of the last remaining reasons for a student to board on campus; winning athletic teams.
And while he intentionally starved each one of these teams over the past 4 years with the lack of staff, leadership and financial support, they continued to do something he abhorred; they kept winning.
Now Greg, hundreds of other students will either depart or never attend in the future. You’ve lost 900 students on campus in your 4 yrs so far…. At what point do the faculty, the “do nothings” and community at large realize what a failed administration this is and take action? Hartford needs a crisis manager, not an out of state part timer.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
"How proud must he and the “do nothing” Board of Regents feel in their first step in dismantling one of the last remaining reasons for a student to board on campus; winning athletic teams."

If the only reason the school exists is to have D-I athletic teams, should the school really exist?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
"How proud must he and the “do nothing” Board of Regents feel in their first step in dismantling one of the last remaining reasons for a student to board on campus; winning athletic teams."

If the only reason the school exists is to have D-I athletic teams, should the school really exist?
I don't get anything like that from the quoted sentence. I don't see how it was ever implied that the only reason the University of Hartford exists is to have D-I athletic teams.

·
Registered
611 Posts

To say Gallagher has taken the high road through all this is an understatement. According to this article, Gallagher's emails to Woodward go unanswered and he has not heard from him since March (the D3 decision was announced in May).

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #795 ·
Starting pitcher Dombrowski who was transferring from Hartford to Texas A& M will instead go pro as he just signed with the pirates.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

To say Gallagher has taken the high road through all this is an understatement. According to this article, Gallagher's emails to Woodward go unanswered and he has not heard from him since March (the D3 decision was announced in May).
Really good article. I really like Gallagher and I am pretty impressed with the way he has handled this whole thing.

·
Registered
288 Posts

interesting website, includes a video from Andy Schwarz

·
Registered
288 Posts

This morning Kathy Behrens gave the first real interview from the board's side that I have seen since the decision. Woodward has basically been looking to do this since day one. It's about a 20 minute listen, there is another interview with a player right below hers who was on last year's team who frankly I don't remember and have not listened to yet.

781 - 798 of 798 Posts