Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
941 - 960 of 1023 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,222 Posts
Hartford should just fast forward to 10/15 years and start auctioning off the buildings now.

Reactions: RazorRamon

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #943 ·
I was just talking to a former player last night about how everyone has left the team and no one has been recruited for next year. Hartford will undoubtedly be the worst team in D1. Has there ever been a D1 team made up of all walk-ons?
I mean why would anybody even transfer to play there? This year The season will literally be a few games from Nov thru the beginning of Jan when conference seasons start. So basically there are no games after Jan 1. Plus no post season tourney etc. What a joke. Maybe they can get one of the intramural programs to play.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Reactions: lsbal

·
Premium Member
34,222 Posts
Is Hartford even going to have a. A coach and b. Players next season?

Going out on a limb here, but not sure you can "play basketball" at the NCAA D1-D3 level without those two key components.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I mean why would anybody even transfer to play there? This year The season will literally be a few games from Nov thru the beginning of Jan when conference seasons start. So basically there are no games after Jan 1. Plus no post season tourney etc. What a joke. Maybe they can get one of the intramural programs to play.
My guess is as an audition to get somewhere else the next season

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I'm still curious what conference at DIII Hartford will join. Little East?
The Little East isn't in need of membership, I can't see them extending to a private school that can still outspend all of them (even with the Hartford spending constraints).

Let's look at the conferences:

1- Skyline- no CT members but all within a ferry ride or bus ride of hartford. Could go to 14 members and have divisions. Public and Private schools. This league is the best fit.

2- NJAC- Joisieeee only...not a fit.

3- NESCAC- there aren't even dreams where Hartford would be welcomed.

4- NECC- Has a CT presence, Hartford would be the largest school, would be the 11th entry...but I think this is too low for Hartford. It would be the equivalent of a middle-aged man giving up on life by wearing crocs (*Movie reference).

5- New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference- Likely the BEST fit...similar schools size wise though academically, Hartford at the bottom. It would be a win if Hartford can get in. Would be the 11th member.

6- MSCAC- Massachusetts public schools only. Not a fit.

7- Little East- see early comments. Would be a major step down (like going from D1 to D3 is not?!). I just can't see the Little East wanting Hartford from a fit, size, and ability to spend perspective.

8- Liberty League- closest school is Vasser; this isn't happening. Academically, the schools would thumb noses at Hartford.

9- Great Northeast Athletic Conference- Hartford is WAY too big for these schools. Small, liberal arts schools in the region.

10- Empire 8- Schools are too far away.

11- Commonwealth Coast Conference- would be a very interesting fit...and they need a 14th school as they are broken into N/S divisions. Anna Maria can move to the North Division and Hartford slides to the South. Would be a perfect geographical fit, and a league need. However, not sure that Hartford would deem the schools/academics as "too low". Academically, Salve and Roger Williams are the best of the lot.

12- Centennial- like the NESCAC, keep on dreaming....

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Agree with D96 - really just a few options. My take:

NEWMAC is the best option by far. A "metro Boston" conference with familiar names like Springfield, Clark, Babson, etc. Honestly, this wouldn't be awful for the university at all and could help "justify" the decision in some corners.

I think Commonwealth Coast Conference is a decent fall back. Again, a Boston-focused league with a few familiar names, such as Roger Williams, Salve Regina, Endicott.

NECC would be a huge disappointment and Skyline is a panic move, but better than nothing. Skyline is a NY-based league with a odd mix of public and privates.

The others make either make no sense (Little East), or UHa has no chance (NESCAC).

·
Registered
633 Posts
I can honestly say I could care less what D3 conference they join. Its over for me. I won't follow U of H athletics anymore.

As a side note, there was some chatter on LikendIn among alumni that the deadline for deposits has been extended out because freshman enrollment did not meet goal. When I came to U of H, D1 status played a big factor.

·
Premium Member
34,222 Posts
Imagine a world where a year ago you were in the NCAA Tournament, and then two years later you're in a conference with Albertus Magnus and Norwich University? That's some Twilight Zone stuff.

Reactions: South End

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #958 ·
I can honestly say I could care less what D3 conference they join. Its over for me. I won't follow U of H athletics anymore.

As a side note, there was some chatter on LikendIn among alumni that the deadline for deposits has been extended out because freshman enrollment did not meet goal. When I came to U of H, D1 status played a big factor.
Likewise!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I dunno, living in the greater Portland area, it's a schlep to any D-I school. I've basically picked a local D-3 and that's where I get my in person college hoops fix. I've actually really enjoyed it. One of the team moms even brought me cookies one time as a thank you for coming out so much. It's struck me how much closer the atmosphere at a D-3 game is to America East than going to an AE game is to like, a Duke home game.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Imagine a world where a year ago you were in the NCAA Tournament, and then two years later you're in a conference with Albertus Magnus and Norwich University? That's some Twilight Zone stuff.
Terrible. Hartford enjoyed D1 status for 35+ years and in that time has produced a MLB Hall of Famer, an NBA lottery pick and 4x all star, multiple PGA Tour winners, multiple women's NCAA basketball tournament wins, etc. Its sad we have gone so backwards under this administration.

941 - 960 of 1023 Posts