Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
961 - 980 of 1023 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I can honestly say I could care less what D3 conference they join. Its over for me. I won't follow U of H athletics anymore.

As a side note, there was some chatter on LikendIn among alumni that the deadline for deposits has been extended out because freshman enrollment did not meet goal. When I came to U of H, D1 status played a big factor.
I for one am shocked that they were unable to meet their freshman enrollment goal with all the positive developments going on at the University :rolleyes:

As for the athletic teams, I'll follow men's basketball for as long as Gallagher is there and baseball due to a family friend being on staff. Everything else, they sufficiently killed me interest and frankly, I couldn't care less what D3 conference they're in, if they can actually find one that will take this smoldering tire fire.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I dunno, living in the greater Portland area, it's a schlep to any D-I school. I've basically picked a local D-3 and that's where I get my in person college hoops fix. I've actually really enjoyed it. One of the team moms even brought me cookies one time as a thank you for coming out so much. It's struck me how much closer the atmosphere at a D-3 game is to America East than going to an AE game is to like, a Duke home game.
I can't speak for the other Hartford people alum, but it is not my intention to rip D3 basketball/athletics. While I would have been upset, if the powers that be were actually up front and honest about the situation, I'm sure I and others would have eventually gotten over it. Instead, we got a stunning lack of transparency and honesty, while at the same time actively sabotaging any efforts to support the current D1 programs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I dunno, living in the greater Portland area, it's a schlep to any D-I school. I've basically picked a local D-3 and that's where I get my in person college hoops fix. I've actually really enjoyed it. One of the team moms even brought me cookies one time as a thank you for coming out so much. It's struck me how much closer the atmosphere at a D-3 game is to America East than going to an AE game is to like, a Duke home game.
Hey what about the Red Claws...err I mean the Green Claws? I always thought if I lived up there Id get season tickets. Lotsa D1 talent.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Hey what about the Red Claws...err I mean the Green Claws? I always thought if I lived up there Id get season tickets. Lotsa D1 talent.
I did have season tickets for a while! The first season they were here was awesome. Tremendous energy, sell out every night, lot of fun, they did some really cool fan experience things in game. Year 2 was still fun, but it didn't have the same spontaneous energy.

By year 3, some of the annoying aspects of it became more annoying- they started having everyone go through metal detectors with a stupid long line (only one entrance funnelling through three doors, it's winter so the line is weaving out into the elements), the building is old and falling to pieces with some weird site lines, if you were sitting at 9-12 o'clock on the court you had to walk all the way around the court to the right to get to your seat, the beer lines would last an entire quarter and you couldn't see the game, etc. And the crowds really dwindled. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to keep spending money on it for a not that fun experience.

Honestly, it's not really on my radar much anymore. I'll run into some free tickets now and then, but it isn't a priority. It's kinda of like that cool, exciting, weird thing that a bunch of people love that slowly becomes corporatized and less fun and less popular.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did have season tickets for a while! The first season they were here was awesome. Tremendous energy, sell out every night, lot of fun, they did some really cool fan experience things in game. Year 2 was still fun, but it didn't have the same spontaneous energy.

By year 3, some of the annoying aspects of it became more annoying- they started having everyone go through metal detectors with a stupid long line (only one entrance funnelling through three doors, it's winter so the line is weaving out into the elements), the building is old and falling to pieces with some weird site lines, if you were sitting at 9-12 o'clock on the court you had to walk all the way around the court to the right to get to your seat, the beer lines would last an entire quarter and you couldn't see the game, etc. And the crowds really dwindled. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to keep spending money on it for a not that fun experience.

Honestly, it's not really on my radar much anymore. I'll run into some free tickets now and then, but it isn't a priority. It's kinda of like that cool, exciting, weird thing that a bunch of people love that slowly becomes corporatized and less fun and less popular.
Oh that sucks, I can definitely see how that would lose its luster. Was there ever any discussion of them using the arena where the Pirates used to play? I remember they used to play the Loch Monsters back in the day, I assume their arena was similar to Tsongas, which is pretty nice...(imho of course).

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Oh that sucks, I can definitely see how that would lose its luster. Was there ever any discussion of them using the arena where the Pirates used to play? I remember they used to play the Loch Monsters back in the day, I assume their arena was similar to Tsongas, which is pretty nice...(imho of course).
I don't think the attendance would justify it, it would seem cavernous. Plus the cost of the floor/ice makeover. There's an ECHL team in there now. That arena is averagish.

·
The People's Champ
989 Posts
I don't think the attendance would justify it, it would seem cavernous. Plus the cost of the floor/ice makeover. There's an ECHL team in there now. That arena is averagish.
Honestly, Manchester NH needs a minor bball team like the red claws/green claws whatever theyre called now. They had manchester monarchs which did well for a while affiliated with the kings, but once they lost the affiliation Manchester lost the team. Manchester even had an AFL 2 team, the wolves, which also did fairly well. Manchester and southern NH is a great sports area and its too bad theres no semi pro or D1 sports anywhere close, except for UMassLowell. But NH has always been a state where they want nothing to do with Massachusetts. I feel a semi pro team like the green claws would do more than just fine in Manchester

·
Super Moderator
6,909 Posts
Honestly, Manchester NH needs a minor bball team like the red claws/green claws whatever theyre called now. They had manchester monarchs which did well for a while affiliated with the kings, but once they lost the affiliation Manchester lost the team. Manchester even had an AFL 2 team, the wolves, which also did fairly well. Manchester and southern NH is a great sports area and its too bad theres no semi pro or D1 sports anywhere close, except for UMassLowell. But NH has always been a state where they want nothing to do with Massachusetts. I feel a semi pro team like the green claws would do more than just fine in Manchester
Which is why I’m baffled that UNH doesn’t put itself out there more, especially for basketball.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Here's an interview with Traci Carter and a former staff member in studio on WTIC earlier this week, kid continues to impress

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #970 ·
Here's an interview with Traci Carter and a former staff member in studio on WTIC earlier this week, kid continues to impress

I read that when he came back this year Hartford administration denied givin him a scholarship so he paid his own way.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #971 ·
I can't speak for the other Hartford people alum, but it is not my intention to rip D3 basketball/athletics. While I would have been upset, if the powers that be were actually up front and honest about the situation, I'm sure I and others would have eventually gotten over it. Instead, we got a stunning lack of transparency and honesty, while at the same time actively sabotaging any efforts to support the current D1 programs.
Agre with everything you said but it was one thing not to get support from the administration and another thing to sabotage any possible success. When I heard that the President assigned the compliant staff to try to dig up dirt on Gal in order to be able to fire him it exemplifies the type of people we were dealing with. For me all respect has been lost.

·
Registered
379 Posts
They had the Manchester Mill Rats of the Premiere Basketball League but it was low level basketball. Being from the Connecticut River Valley in New Hampshire we consider that part of NH cultural MA, especially Nashua. There is an MILB AA team in Manchester that I think does alright (avg attendance looks like around 4500) but they have the benefit of being a feeder team so sometimes they get players like Vlad Guerrero JR. All that to say I think a semi pro basketball team would do pretty well but unless the NBA expands the Gleague the other semi pro leagues open and fold relatively regularly.

·
The People's Champ
989 Posts
They had the Manchester Mill Rats of the Premiere Basketball League but it was low level basketball. Being from the Connecticut River Valley in New Hampshire we consider that part of NH cultural MA, especially Nashua. There is an MILB AA team in Manchester that I think does alright (avg attendance looks like around 4500) but they have the benefit of being a feeder team so sometimes they get players like Vlad Guerrero JR. All that to say I think a semi pro basketball team would do pretty well but unless the NBA expands the Gleague the other semi pro leagues open and fold relatively regularly.
Agreed there. The nh fishercats do really well in the area. Millrats were never relevant in the area because they were so low level. But ideally Id like the maine celtics to relocate to manchester. That would be sweet, they have a nice arena to play in as well with snhu arena/formerly verizon arena

·
Registered
307 Posts

How can you be a "competitive Division III" when you don't even have a conference.

It also makes me wonder how desperate to save pennies that they wouldn't even keep around Hodgdon, who was an interim with a career almost exclusively in D3.

Full disclosure: considering the situation she inherited and the total non-support she surely faced, Hodgdon won four more games than I expected this season.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #975 ·

How can you be a "competitive Division III" when you don't even have a conference.

It also makes me wonder how desperate to save pennies that they wouldn't even keep around Hodgdon, who was an interim with a career almost exclusively in D3.

Full disclosure: considering the situation she inherited and the total non-support she surely faced, Hodgdon won four more games than I expected this season.
So is Hodgkin no longer with the program?

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #977 ·
I would think not. Woodward probably felt they won too much.

Considering what her other options likely are, her not being back really says volumes about how cheap they are/how poor the working environment is.
This place is a joke. I can’t imagine the working environment is a positive one outside of the sports realm either.

961 - 980 of 1023 Posts