Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
The People's Champ
700 Posts
yep, your right, not sure the status of the graduate 3 BIGs on roster (Sully, Nicola - only one with any kind of minutes, and Petr). technically they all have a year left of eligibility.

a lot of wings on the roster now. who starts at PG? with Gray at SG/SF, does he start over someone? someone's going to get their feelings hurt once the season starts.

What are your starting 5's for next year?

·
The People's Champ
700 Posts
Gal has a chance to play around with matchups on a per game basis if he wants to, a lot of flexibility, a lot of minutes available.

For me :
1. Henry - great handles, can create space, excellent passer. needs to take a big step in year 2 (might be DJ to start early on), Flowers could also play Point. this allows Gray/Briggs/Williams additional minutes at SG.
2. Flowers (a lot of competition here and then swing to SF) can see Gray/Briggs/Williams, do any of them match Dunne's three off the bench?
3. Kingman early but again can Gray/Williams play bigger at 6'4/6'5ish? I also see Rasta playing SF at 6'6/6'7', great athleticism there. They could also possibly swing Marks down to SF as well, depending on matchup
4. Marks - easy one here. Rasta in relief. Does Kingman occasionally play that Boxus PF/SF hybrid? this is assuming Dombek needs to sit for the year. Or he easily slides right into the direct breather for Marks and Stafl.
5. Stafl - ideal if Dombek is immediately eligible. would hate to see Marks have to fill in at Center. Would be nice to know where we stand with the 3 Graduate Bigs in Colovic, Petr, and Sully). Colovic the only one of those three who've played real minutes

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Gal has a chance to play around with matchups on a per game basis if he wants to, a lot of flexibility, a lot of minutes available.

For me :
1. Henry - great handles, can create space, excellent passer. needs to take a big step in year 2 (might be DJ to start early on), Flowers could also play Point. this allows Gray/Briggs/Williams additional minutes at SG.
2. Flowers (a lot of competition here and then swing to SF) can see Gray/Briggs/Williams, do any of them match Dunne's three off the bench?
3. Kingman early but again can Gray/Williams play bigger at 6'4/6'5ish? I also see Rasta playing SF at 6'6/6'7', great athleticism there. They could also possibly swing Marks down to SF as well, depending on matchup
4. Marks - easy one here. Rasta in relief. Does Kingman occasionally play that Boxus PF/SF hybrid? this is assuming Dombek needs to sit for the year. Or he easily slides right into the direct breather for Marks and Stafl.
5. Stafl - ideal if Dombek is immediately eligible. would hate to see Marks have to fill in at Center. Would be nice to know where we stand with the 3 Graduate Bigs in Colovic, Petr, and Sully). Colovic the only one of those three who've played real minutes
Right now Henry & Flowers are our PG's....I definitely see it like you do as Henry PG and Flowers SG. Henry might end up being our best player next year. I think the biggest thing he has to improve upon is his shot. He needs to be shooting 35% from 3. Mitchell is the perfect 6th man. Dunne as the last month of the season showed will have his role. I do not think Williams has been too successful in the past shooting 3's but maybe that has changed with a year to improve his game. I think Briggs is probably the best 3 point shooter of the 3 (Briggs/Gray/Williams).

Kingman coming off injury not sure what we have there yet.....Rasto not sure either. Both look good on paper.....

I can't see Dombek being eligible this year but if he is that would be awesome!

Stafl can really be great in this league if he shows some improvement every year. One thing he definitely needs to improve upon is his 3 point shooting. I think he shot like 19% from 3. Plus when he shot 3's no one was under the boards. I'd love to see the stats of what percentage of offensive rebounds we got when each person on the team missed a 3. I think we barely ever got an offensive rebound when Stafl missed them (which was too often).

I would be very curious if one/two or 3 of the bigs are returning. If none I wouldn't be surprised if we see another graduate transfer or two.....which might change a lot of our thought process.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I would be very curious if one/two or 3 of the bigs are returning. If none I wouldn't be surprised if we see another graduate transfer or two.....which might change a lot of our thought process.
Verbal Commits website recruiting grid says that Colovic, Sullivan and Stepanyants have all left the team.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Article in today's Hartford Courant regarding virtual recruiting visits and how different schools approach it during the pandemic.

Interesting quote regarding John Gallagher:

"Gallagher estimates he’s done 10 virtual visits, and believes he will sign at least one “major player” from the process."

·
The People's Champ
700 Posts
10 virtual visits huh? I wonder if they've already been offered? Who's major on the current offers list? More major than the guys they've already landed? AJ, Briggs, and Rasto, with Jakub have been pretty solid recruits in my opinion...

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Article in today's Hartford Courant regarding virtual recruiting visits and how different schools approach it during the pandemic.

Interesting quote regarding John Gallagher:

"Gallagher estimates he’s done 10 virtual visits, and believes he will sign at least one “major player” from the process."
That‘s great info! Thanks for posting it. Gal is definitely trying to duplicate last years success with this strategy.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
10 virtual visits huh? I wonder if they've already been offered? Who's major on the current offers list? More major than the guys they've already landed? AJ, Briggs, and Rasto, with Jakub have been pretty solid recruits in my opinion...
Jakub presumably sits out this year. AJ , Briggs and Rasto are all freshman who will all need time to develop. As great as Flowers and Stafl were as freshman last year they had ups and downs as all freshman do. Gal is trying to replicate last years success in the graduate transfers. Theoretically he has 2 spots left. If he can replace Ellison with someone similar I expect Hartford to be pretty good next year.

At this point I am just praying the season is played next year ( in a healthy way) as I need football & college basketball to come back in the fall for my sanity. Running my companies during a pandemic might be one of the hardest challenges I have ever had. Having some semblance of sports back would do a lot for my sanity.

·
The People's Champ
700 Posts
Jakub presumably sits out this year. AJ , Briggs and Rasto are all freshman who will all need time to develop. As great as Flowers and Stafl were as freshman last year they had ups and downs as all freshman do. Gal is trying to replicate last years success in the graduate transfers. Theoretically he has 2 spots left. If he can replace Ellison with someone similar I expect Hartford to be pretty good next year.

At this point I am just praying the season is played next year ( in a healthy way) as I need football & college basketball to come back in the fall for my sanity. Running my companies during a pandemic might be one of the hardest challenges I have ever had. Having some semblance of sports back would do a lot for my sanity.
I agree, I want them to play because I think they have a good shot at being a top 3 team again. They return a lot of players, gain a few pieces and have the roster consistency that is lacking in a lot of AE teams right now. SBU lost a lot, some transfer outs from UML, UMBC is also struggling, Albany, struggling. Bing struggling. Maine, UNH, UVM and Hartford return the most key pcs from last year I believe.

·
The People's Champ
700 Posts
I take that back on UMBC, they return a few very solid players as well. Also, UNH very sneaky good team next year. I think they are meshing well with what they have plus Mattos as their big man...they could contend

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I agree, I want them to play because I think they have a good shot at being a top 3 team again. They return a lot of players, gain a few pieces and have the roster consistency that is lacking in a lot of AE teams right now. SBU lost a lot, some transfer outs from UML, UMBC is also struggling, Albany, struggling. Bing struggling. Maine, UNH, UVM and Hartford return the most key pcs from last year I believe.
Maine loses El Darwich & Fleming which are both big losses. Sounds like the incoming guys are pretty exciting though so who knows.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I’m brand spanking new here. But as an alum and somehow who used to intern in the sports information department, my best friend and I hold this team near and dear our hearts. I’m just excited there’s other fans that care about this team and the recruiting trail as much as we do and that I’ve found them! This is one of the things keeping me sane these days. Love this stuff. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I’m brand spanking new here. But as an alum and somehow who used to intern in the sports information department, my best friend and I hold this team near and dear our hearts. I’m just excited there’s other fans that care about this team and the recruiting trail as much as we do and that I’ve found them! This is one of the things keeping me sane these days. Love this stuff. Thanks guys.
Welcome to the board! The more the merrier.

·
The People's Champ
700 Posts
welcome!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Could always use more Hawks fans on these boards. Welcome!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I am now thinking when Gal was saying he might get a major player via the virtual visits it might have been Jakub who he got from Colorado. Maybe he can get 1 more? As I see the roster I think there is only 1 more scholly available as based on verbal commits DJ Mitchell changed from walk-on to scholly player. Good for him...he earned it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am now thinking when Gal was saying he might get a major player via the virtual visits it might have been Jakub who he got from Colorado. Maybe he can get 1 more? As I see the roster I think there is only 1 more scholly available as based on verbal commits DJ Mitchell changed from walk-on to scholly player. Good for him...he earned it.
Glad to see this. Based on how big of a role he had it frankly would have been wrong for him not to be on scholarship at this point.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts