Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Hartford notes

163K views 1K replies 62 participants last post by  Aceinthehole 
#1 ·
Traci Carter and Malik Ellison were best friends in high school when they played together.

Coach Gal said this is the best freshman class he has brought in.

High expectations for frosh Flowers.

Gal said Miroslav Stafl is the best offensive down low player he has brought in.

Malik Ellison's father was basketball great "Pervis".

On the women's side:

Senior Lawrencia Moten's father was ex NBA'er Lawrence.

Junior Liz Garcia's (who has been out injured her frosh & soph years) brother is Andrew Garcia who plays for Stonybrook.

Completely different women' team for first year head coach Valley.

Their best player (Abed) graduated. The next two most productive players Jade Young and Sierra Dicosta (went to East Carolina with ex-coach) have both transferred.

No one who will start has played more than 2 minutes before. Expecting a very transitional year.

See less See more
#2 ·
On the women's side:

No one who will start has played more than 2 minutes before. Expecting a very transitional year.

Wait. No starter on this year's team has played more than 2 minutes in a game? Wow, I know all teams have years where there is a huge amount of turnover, but I can't imagine any team EVER in women's college basketball would have had something like that happen. I mean, not a single returning player has ever played more than 2 minutes in a game? That is crazy!

#3 ·
So it is possible that someone who starts has played some decent minutes last year but this is how their roster stacks up:

Players back who were injured last year:

Jabril Ingram....played decent minutes last year and probably would have started but got injured halfway through last year and was out the rest of the year and I think is out this year due to injury.....

Liz Garcia....missed frosh & soph years due to injuries.

Charlette Leurs....missed frosh season due to injury

Azariah Wade....missed frosh season due to injury

Brielle Wilborn...played 6 games and missed the rest of last year due to injury

Lawrencia Moten....played half of last year then missed the second half due to injury..

Others who are back who played some minutes last year:

Sierra Smith..played about 11 minutes per game last year....maybe will start this year...

Jada Lucas...played about 9 minutes per game last year....likely off bench....

Jordan Mclemore....played about 12 minutes per game last year....likely off bench...

New players:

Nina Farkic....transfer from Western Mich....maybe sit out if not will start

Abby Streeter....transfer from URI....maybe sit out if not will start

Carmen Villalobos...frosh....probably start

Irene Primo....frosh.....probably start

Kaela Dothard...frosh

#9 ·
I haven’t heard much about Kingman but I have heard that Hunter Marks is going to be a pleasant surprise. I think 3 possible lineups:

Carter
Ellison
Flowers
Kingman
Stafl

Carter
Ellison
Flowers
Stafl
Sullivan

Carter
Ellison
Flowers
Marks
Stafl

#13 ·
In listening to a podcast tha Gal was on recently from what I gather the players look like this.

Carter-start
Ellison-start
Stafl-frosh center...said best offensive center he has recruited. 6’9 250
Flowers-sounds like he will be a good one
Marks-6’9 sounds like he is expected to take a leap forward in his soph year

Henry-sounds like this frosh pg is gaining to get time. Gal said lightening quick and doesn’t turn the ball over.
Colovic will be backup center to Stafl. Has not missed a shot since fresh year ( shot 10-10 from the field last year).
Sullivan-7’2 transfer from Lasalle he said he will have a role. Sounds like he needs to work for playing time.
Williams- he didn’t mention him so I am assuming this Marist transfer is sitting out this year.
Kingman-juco- I do not think he mentioned him.
Mitchel-will play some backup minutes
Dunne-will also play some backup minutes
Bonus-said playing well in preseason. Will have to fight for minutes.
Stepanyats-didn’t mention him.

#14 ·
If Dunne is playing "backup minutes" then Hartford has better starting players, so we can expect better overall performance. Gallagher is, in my opinion, a better coach than Dempsey or Herrion. If he has the players he can win the games.

The AE below UVM, UA and SBU looks potentially very competitive to me. Except for Bing and UNH and maybe Maine.

#18 ·
Henry and Moses look legit in their first 2 games. Traci Carter hasn't shot well, hope he can start sinking them in. Games like last night make you realize how badly they miss a 'go-to' down the stretch in Ellison. Long season to go, but they have shown some nice flashes so far. The future of this team looks bright as long as they all stay with Hartford

#23 ·
OT Notes, Ex Hartford commits, Vasic and Petrusev.

Vasic looks to have fully recovered from his ACL tear, still in a reserve role for Charlotte.

Petrusev is absolutely dominating for Gonzaga avg nearly 20 pts and 9 rebounds...
Imagine having Petrusev....crazy.

What is interesting is the younger brother of Petrusev plays at Avon Old Farms. The new coach at Avon Old Farms is Matt Mihalich who was an asset at Hartford the last 3 years. Curious if we are in on him at all.

#24 ·
Daly was an interesting guy.....was very under recruited. I think Gal was friendly with Daly’s father who I think was a high school coach. We already had fall signings which filled up our allotment. Then Daly verballed to Hartford after that. I think the assumption was someone would leave which did not happen. So Daly moved on. Then in AUGUST Pancake announces he was leaving. If he only made that decision in May.

#31 ·
I've always wondered why most teams are so quiet on the injuries on their players. I can understand in the pros, but, in AE college basketball, it wouldn't hurt to acknowledge at least some sort of timeline for their player. Unless they did already and I missed it somewhere. The team seems to be entering a slump, it'd be nice to know as to when they will be getting their so called 'best player' in the lineup...

#32 ·
I don't know any specifics but do see the last few Hartford games Ellison has been out of the boot and seems to be walking ok. Hopefully that means he is back soon as Hartford needs an injection. Right now the young guys have talent but nobody is a go to guy. Hopefully Ellison can be more of that though I think scoring is less of his strength compared to defense & rebounding.