Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a battle for the most injury plagued AE team, Hartford beat Albany 57-48.

Aaron Cook led all scorers with 19 and freshman Rich Baker scored a career high 11. Iati led Albany with 17. Neither team was particularly impressive. I think the score was 3-1 five or six minutes into the game and Albany only scored 18 first half points. Hartford led by 13 at the half.

I don't know what Iati did, but he was booed loudly by the 1800 in attendance every time he touched the ball.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Originally posted by <b>South End</b>!
In a battle for the most injury plagued AE team, Hartford beat Albany 57-48.

Aaron Cook led all scorers with 19 and freshman Rich Baker scored a career high 11. Iati led Albany with 17. Neither team was particularly impressive. I think the score was 3-1 five or six minutes into the game and Albany only scored 18 first half points. Hartford led by 13 at the half.

I don't know what Iati did, but he was booed loudly by the 1800 in attendance every time he touched the ball.

Yeesh....UGLY game. Hartford was soooo bad for the 1st 10 minutes of the game that it might have been THE WORST I had ever seen them play. Honestly the star of the game...by far...for Hartford was Rich Baker. He was heady,played good D,and made some terrific passes(that should have been converted into points except for the fact that Hartford could not hit a barn today). Cook was good but a little frustrating,Ford(5 turnovers 0 asst) and Stys(2-11 from the field) were way off today. Taylor misses 5 or 6 easy shots that it was one of those days where they roll out instead of in.

For Albany Iati was impressive though he certainly looks to shoot(must have taken at least 20 shots).Prior to the game the asst coach who talked about the game plan today said that levine is a 1st team all-conference candidate and Iati is probably the rookie of the year. I'm also not sue what Iati did but the student section booed every time he touched the ball.

LI Hawk...you might be right in saying that Baker can be a starting PG.He is looking better and better over time. Would you agree Southend?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
By the way

Trevor Goode (if I am reading the writing on the wall correctly) is done for the season. The doctors say they haven't seen a case this bad and playing could actually be life-threatening. I don't know what this means long term at this point but I hope he gets healthy whether he resumes his basketball career or not.

Tyler Lang was conspicously absent again...which means to me he might be gone as the students are now back for the next semester.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Surprised none of you mentioned it but because of foul problems the Danes finished the game with only four players on the floor. I don't know about you but other than in Hoosiers that's the first time I've seen that happen.
Hard to say from one game but Cook looked pretty good. Poised and had an excellent shooting night. I'm not sure either team knew this game was televised though. Aren't you supposed to play better when the game's on TV?
I thought Hartford was supposed to be injury plagued and not that deep. They ended up playing 9 guys. 9 guys and we're supposed to feel sorry for you? That's not injury plagued, playing with only four guys on the floor is injury plagued.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dane Pound</b>!
. . . the Danes finished the game with only four players on the floor.
Dane Pound -- Don't you or any of the other Albany posters on this board have any years of eligibility left? Sounds like all you'd need to do it sign up for a couple of graduate credits and you'd be guaranteed to see some minutes.

Seriously, I can't believe Albany ran short of players. What are the NCAA rules on this -- can the team pick up a couple of walk-ons mid-season, just to have a body or two on the bench in case something like that happens again? There must be at least a couple of decent players on campus you could grab as an insurance policy.

Or maybe a couple of players from the women's team?! ;)

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
lsbal on Iati

Hartford did a fine job making Iati work very hard to get open but in Iati's defense abou 5 minutes in he sprained his ankle and limped through the rest of the game logging 40 very grueling minutes as did Courtney Johnson and St. Hillaire. Iati a pretty good shooter actually missed about 5 wide open looks which is more than he usually gets.

It's extremely hard playing a freshman backcourt for 40 minutes each a game when the opposition is running 4 guards at you. Hartford's Baker looked very solid today, in fact I think he put the Hawks over the top with his play.

That's the hand the Danes have been dealt and to there credit there's been no quit in them. I believe they got it to 6 with 1:30 to go and Hartford sealed the deal from the line.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Re: By the way

Originally posted by <b>lsbal</b>!
Trevor Goode (if I am reading the writing on the wall correctly) is done for the season. The doctors say they haven't seen a case this bad and playing could actually be life-threatening.
Asthma? That's some horrible news. You guys are due for some good luck next year.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Urban Barrister</b>!

Seriously, I can't believe Albany ran short of players. What are the NCAA rules on this -- can the team pick up a couple of walk-ons mid-season, just to have a body or two on the bench in case something like that happens again? There must be at least a couple of decent players on campus you could grab as an insurance policy.

Or maybe a couple of players from the women's team?! ;)
I seem to recall that a walk-on needs a physical and at least three weeks of practice with the team before he's allowed to play.

One walkon (Marv Cheese) apparently just left the university, and it was annouced this week that Jamal Hughes, whose grandfather died on Halloween and who spent two months at home, would not play this season for personal reasons.

In the past the women have practiced against male students, I wonder if we could throw them in?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Originally posted by <b>Dane Pound</b>!

I thought Hartford was supposed to be injury plagued and not that deep. They ended up playing 9 guys. 9 guys and we're supposed to feel sorry for you? That's not injury plagued, playing with only four guys on the floor is injury plagued.
Hartford has only been able to suit up 7 or 8 players for the last few weeks - much like Albany today. Albany finished the last moments of the game with 4 players on the court due to 3 of their 7 players fouling out - not because of injuries.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: Hartford over Albany 57-48

Originally posted by <b>lsbal</b>!

LI Hawk...you might be right in saying that Baker can be a starting PG.He is looking better and better over time. Would you agree Southend?
I would. Baker seems to get better and more confident with every game. He's not flashy, but very fundamental. He takes care of the ball (very good assist to turnover ratio)and does a good job handling the press. He seems to be the most pure point guard we have.

Speaking of guards, did you see we lost our second recruit to Siena? Artavius Fisher, like Jack McClinton, is headed to Siena. Fisher had also visited Hartford and JMU.

·
Registered
207 Posts
WWatched the game on TV today. The first eight minutes wee the worst I've ever seen. When Baker came in and played well the first thing that came to mind was LSBAL giving me a Thank You!!

I continue to be impressed by he freshmen. Taylor got no breaks today, but continues to give them solid minutes. Zimnickas is a tough kid who looks to be a solid rebounder.

For all of you guys at the game, the announcer said it was doubtful that Parker wil get the 6th year, but Hartford will try.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Darn

Originally posted by <b>Long Island Hawk</b>!
WWatched the game on TV today. The first eight minutes wee the worst I've ever seen. When Baker came in and played well the first thing that came to mind was LSBAL giving me a Thank You!!

I continue to be impressed by he freshmen. Taylor got no breaks today, but continues to give them solid minutes. Zimnickas is a tough kid who looks to be a solid rebounder.

For all of you guys at the game, the announcer said it was doubtful that Parker wil get the 6th year, but Hartford will try.
Baker is really very composed for a freshman...then again he did play prep for Stu Vetter with some big time talent on his team(Montrose Christian).He is similar in certain ways to Stys in that he doesn't make the flashy plays but he has a very high asst/turnover ratio. He also penetrates actually better than Stys does. Taylor can give UHA a solid career. Zimnickas will probably be more of a bench player in the next few years but he could help. What is good is that all the freshman are getting quality minutes which should help them progress quicker than they would have otherwise(except unfortunately Bernard Lowndes).

Doesn't suprise me about Parker but.....you never know.

Incidentally on a funny note before the game Coach Pompey said that if the country was starting a war and you had to pick a guy to bring with you he would take Sean Regan....then Ryan Stys.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Reagan and Stys

From my position they are.....Real tough hard nosed kids who come to play!!!! and are fun to watch they are the heart and soul of the Hartford team.

Incidentally on a funny note before the game Coach Pompey said that if the country was starting a war and you had to pick a guy to bring with you he would take Sean Regan....then Ryan Stys.
On a secondary note Hartfords bench out scored Albany's 21-2!!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Re: lsbal on Iati

Originally posted by <b>Patch</b>!

That's the hand the Danes have been dealt and to there credit there's been no quit in them. I believe they got it to 6 with 1:30 to go and Hartford sealed the deal from the line.

The Danes are in terrific physical condition as they all have to play huge minutes. Coach Pompey told us before the game that Iati is avg 40.6 minutes per game(based on overtimes he actually avg more minutes per game than the avg game). Next year you guys will reap the benefits. You will probably have the top backcourt (Wilson,Iati & Jordan) alongside NU(Barnes,Barea).More importantly....next year with a full bench the Danes will be able to play defense the way the coach would want them to play defense. At this point you can't be too agressive when you have a very limited bench.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Hartford over Albany 57-48

Originally posted by <b>South End</b>!

Speaking of guards, did you see we lost our second recruit to Siena? Artavius Fisher, like Jack McClinton, is headed to Siena. Fisher had also visited Hartford and JMU.

Isn't that amazing. I was talking to a staff member 2 weeks ago and they couldn't believe that Siena was possibly getting Fisher,after getting a verbal from McClinton. On to the next guy.UGH! One thing I must say is that Fisher is definately not a pure PG and not very big(5'8 max). He really looks to score and I'm not sure that is exactly what we need.

At least these 2 guys are going to the right level. I remember 2 or 3 years ago when the 2 guys who we thought we'd get went to St Johns(Tristan Smith-since transfered to the NEC) and a PG who went to Miami(forgot his name...better football player than basketball...transfered out after 1 year). Both of these guys thought they were better than they were and were really recruited to these places in order to get a better prize(Smith's teamate was Jason Frazier at Amityville...mind you he went to Villanova).Or like 2 years ago when Mike Hayes was so into Hartford for Soooooo long and then last second was offered by Uconn and ended up going there. He was a small bench player for them and would have been a star in the AE.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Baker is playing well! He didn't do a ton in HS probably because of the overall talent at Montrose. My question with him is can he shoot it? He hit one 3 today but that was a 28' prayer as the shot clock expired. I think he should play more than Ford. Ford is wild and makes bad decisions.

First time I saw Taylor in college. Was not overly impressed. AT his size he needs to work on the J! Ziminckas is a banger! REgan is a WARRIOR!!

I think Sty's is the heart and soul for Hartford! Losing Sty's is going to hurt!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Larry Harrison is losing it.

With all do respect to the Hartford program...I would think Harrison would want to recheck these words:

"I think our losses are a little bit more than (UAlbany's)," Harrison said. "I think we have a lot more to overcome than they do."

The Danes dressed only seven players, including five on scholarship, because of injuries and personal reasons. Hartford had 10 players in uniform, eight on scholarship.

How can he say UH's losses are worse? Starting center...gone. AE player of the year...gone. Penciled in starting PF....GONE. When you lose 3 starters....your team has it worse...period.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
?????

Hartford has lost 3 starters this year as well including all conference player Jerrell Parker.

Hartford has also only had 7 players available for multiple games this year. Because walk on Mike Dodge suited up, yesterday they had 9 - not 10. Things do seem to be improving.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Re: Larry Harrison is losing it.

Originally posted by <b>Dane96</b>!
How can he say UH's losses are worse? Starting center...gone. AE player of the year...gone. Penciled in starting PF....GONE. When you lose 3 starters....your team has it worse...period.
I think Dane96 is losing it. Which one of the players on Albany's roster would have been or was an AE player of the year? You can't say Taylor Coppenrath because he is actually on UVM.

Point well taken though. Both teams are equally screwed this year.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Speaking of teams being short of players. Does anybody remember a few years ago when Duke had to suit up one of their soccer players because they were short handed? I can't remember the details very well so I could be way off but I guess because he played soccer he met all the NCAA requirements. He played PG and actually received quality minutes for a Duke walk-on. To tell you the truth he was suprisingly good. I think his name was Heap, or Heal, maybe? Anyone remember this?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts