Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of a fun signing for me... As opposed to the men,I do not attend any AAU women's tourney's so I never see any players. However I kept reading amazing things about this person at Westhill High School in Stamford who had just taken up basketball in high school as she kept getting taller (prior to this she was a cheerleader for years). Her stats were awesome and everybody kept saying she was the best rebounder in the state. Her name is Diana Delva (6'0 center).

During a timeout at one of the men's games last year I went over to Bill Sullivan (Jenn's husband and 3rd asst on the women's team) and mentioned Diana to him. Ironically today the headline in the Stamford Advocate sports section is "Westhill's Delva will hoop at Hartford".

Some blurbs from today's paper:

She only made 4 official visits as her family wanted her to stay in New England...Fairfield,Sacred Heart,Northeastern & UHA.

She says" I liked the girls on the Hartford team a lot...we got along well....I went to Northeastern last and after that I knew where I wanted to go.I just had to convince my mother.She wanted me to go to Fairfield because it was only 20 minutes away."

Delva is considered to still have a huge upside.Her AAU coach says, "She's got a perfect basketball body.Every year she has gotten better.Her athleticism and basketball ability are coming together.I think Jen Rizzotti got a steal in Diana....No one is better than Diana Delva going after a ball,getting it and going back up with it."

Last year Delva averaged 15.5 pts,21.4 rebounds.

·
Registered
853 Posts
lsbal:

Any way to find out how the Lady Hawks rank nationally in recruiting? Last year's recruiting class is clearly outstanding (transfer Lisa Etienne, Kate Kelley and Erica Beverly) plus Delva next year makes Hartford a very good team.

Why the disparity between the women's and the men's teams?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Westhill (1-0) 65 St Josephs(0-1) 32

Delva only played 3 quarters and had 25 pts,16 rbds,4 blocks

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Westhill 67 (3-1) Mcmahon 37 (0-4)

Delva 4 points in 6 minutes due to a twisted ankle

·
Registered
252 Posts
lsbal said:
Last year Delva averaged 15.5 pts,21.4 rebounds.
Damn, that's some statline for anyone, let alone someone who just started paying organized basketball. 21 rebounds per game is sick in any league!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
lsbal said:
Westhill (15-3) 52 Staples (13-5) 48

Delva 23 points 24 rebounds
If I may ask, what level of competition is she playing against in CT? I used to watch MSG HS Weekly but I don't remember the CT classifications for school sizes

Even if she's playing against weaker competition she's probably right up there with E. Carter as the top AE recruit for next year...

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dpinzow said:
If I may ask, what level of competition is she playing against in CT? I used to watch MSG HS Weekly but I don't remember the CT classifications for school sizes

Even if she's playing against weaker competition she's probably right up there with E. Carter as the top AE recruit for next year...
Diana plays in the FCIAC conference which typically is one of the best conferences in the State. Incidentally the same conference that Etienne played in. I talked to the women's coaching staff at the men's game today and they think very highly of both Delva & Pratt who are coming in...They have 1 scholy left...if they use it.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Last year Westhill played in the LL Tournament which is the largest CT classification. Most of the FCIAC schools are LL IIRC. You've got the Bridgeport schools as well as the Norwalk and other Stamford schools. Throw in large schools like Trumbell, Danbury, and Greenwich and you've got a good league.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts