Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I sense an obsession with the Ha-meister.....

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, I just look at it like this:
Everybody's favorite players are Kobe, Shaq, KG and Dirk. So I figured I'll be different, I donæt have to like Shaq, just because everybody else like him.
I also think Ha has the potential to bee an All-Star in about 3 years time. I was impressed of what I saw in the minutes he played. He looked lost, but that's normal, when you go from HS in S. Korea to the Nba stage.
The reason I think he was inpressive:
1: His basket against Memphis was smooth for a 7'4 guy. It was a halfway up and under, smooth lay up.
2: He set's pretty good picks, and then rolls open, both his baskets came of this.
3: His second basket, came of a pick and roll, then he had a spin move and lay-up pretty smooth.
4: His block was pretty good, got pretty good upside for being so tall and heavy.
5: He is still 19.
Look for Ha in about 2 seasons.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
white360 said:
Everybody's favorite players are Kobe, Shaq, KG and Dirk. So I figured I'll be different, I donæt have to like Shaq, just because everybody else like him.
I also think Ha has the potential to bee an All-Star in about 3 years time. I was impressed of what I saw in the minutes he played. He looked lost, but that's normal, when you go from HS in S. Korea to the Nba stage.
1: His basket against Memphis was smooth for a 7'4 guy. It was a halfway up and under, smooth lay up.
2: He set's pretty good picks, and then rolls open, both his baskets came of this.
3: His second basket, came of a pick and roll, then he had a spin move and lay-up pretty smooth.
4: His block was pretty good, got pretty good upside for being so tall and heavy.
I'm not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but i doubt Ha makes it past 2 years in this league....He is in the NBA for his size and he was dominating in a very weak S. Korea.....

Mengkte Bateer = Ha.....

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
I'm not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but i doubt Ha makes it past 2 years in this league....He is in the NBA for his size and he was dominating in a very weak S. Korea.....

Mengkte Bateer = Ha.....
cept that unlike Mengkte Bateer, Ha actually isn't just a walking Frankenstein.

I'll take what our GM and coaches think about Ha with a lot more credance than you say.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zagsfan20 said:

Mengkte Bateer = Ha.....
Ha has played 18 Minutes in 8 games.
- Bateer had 2 off rebounds in 49 games (500 min) Ha has 1.
- Bateer has 5 blocks in same amount of time Ha has 1.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
white360 said:
Don't worry, man, I feel the same way. It's not as if I'm absolutely, positively, guaranteeing that he'll be a star in this league. The thing is, to me anyways, that a guy like HA could very well prove (yet again) just how much of a crap shoot the draft really is. What I mean by that, is his upside is absolutely enormous. There's a strong chance he'll never make it in this league, but at the same time, I think there's a nearly equal chance that he becomes a decent player. And, he *could*--just maybe--develop into a big-time steal. For instance, what if HA becomes better than Yao? Of course, that's HIGHLY unlikely, but it'd be an absolute testament to the draft being such a crapshoot, if he, indeed, did become a better player than Yao.

Anyways, I've got nothin' but love for HA. I'm not going to place any pressure on the kid, from a fan standpoint... or bank on him developing into a dominant NBA force... but I will stand behind the guy as he continues to improve as a player in this league. Like the ol' adage goes: You can't teach size. And HA DEFINITELY has the covered. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. It should prove to be an interesting--though at times, painful; and hopefully rewarding--process to watch.

In the word(s) of Stupendous:

"Woo-HA!!!" :cheers:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
CanJohno said:
In the word(s) of Stupendous:

"Woo-HA!!!" :cheers:
:D But courtesy of Busta Rhymes.

See, I got you all in check!!

I agree with CanJohno on this one. I am hoping Ha capitalizes on his huge upside and I am pulling for the best with him, but at the same time it is hard to tell if he will develop into more than a big stiff. Kind of a weird situation. He just looks so bad out there some times, but other times he looks rather smooth. But alas, he is young, and probably a bit shell-shocked. I am sure we will have a much better idea in the upcoming years of his contract.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I saw him in his first game with the reign 9 and 9 not too bad but got so tired first game in months, he was smooth, there are two things you cant teach in basketball size and smoothiness you either have them or you dont, Ha has both. I just wonder if he know how much the fans are rooting for him?!?!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Obviously as a Blazer fan, I've got my fingers crossed for Ha to develop. But even aside from that, ya gotta love this kid. There were some posters when he was drafted that were making fun of his looks, but I think his looks, his outlook and his attitude will become very endearing to most fans. To me he looks like a (7'3") innocent little kid. Who better to root for? Certainly not someone like Carmelo, Kobe or heaven forbid, Shaq.

As for his game, in the very few minutes I've seen him play I was shocked at how smooth and fluid he looked. We've all seen plenty of big uncoordinated "stiffs" take a shot at the NBA. Ha is definitely not a stiff. This alone gives me reason to be optimistic about his potential. Yao is going to be simply dominant, but I get the feeling Ha moves better. Ha has the size and apparently the athleticism to be a good player both offensively and defensively.

If guys like Shawn Bradley and Mark Eaton can make it, a big guy who moves like Ha certainly has a shot. Whether he develops enough basketball skills and court awareness remains to be seen, but he is definitely worth keeping around for a few years to find out. He may not develop into a dominant center, but I will not be surprised if he does.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Mengkte Bateer = Ha.....
That's a great comparison...they're both Asian. (Although, not from the same country.)

Except that...

Ha is 19 and Bateer didn't make the league until he was 26.

Ha is improving physically, while Bateer entered the NBA at his physical prime.

Ha is 5 inches taller than Bateer.

Ha actually is pretty fluid for a kid who's 7'3" and Bateer ran and moved like a poorly consctructed robot.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
white360 said:
Ture if Eaton can make it, Ha can too.
I was thinking about an Eaton/Ha comparison the other day. I think that he's probably the best comparison to Ha. Great size, decent mobility, not much scoring. I think Ha can get his game to that level.

As I recall, Eaton was a late comer to the game of basketball too, right? I thought I had heard he was working as a mechanic somewhere and was 'discovered' by a coach and told he needed to start playing basketball.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts