Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he wants to implement an uptempo, Suns type team here?

All of the talk on the boards lately is that Colangelo is going to try to build the Suns V2.0 here in Toronto, but I don't recall reading any quotes from him which indicate this is the case. If someone has some quotes of him saying this, please let me know.

I know that the Suns are an entertaining team and it sure would be fun to watch the Raptors develop that kind of offence. The problem is that it won't work.

1) We don't have Mike D'Antoni, who is more responsible for the offensive style of play than Colangelo was in Phoenix.

2) We don't have Steve Nash, who is the heart and soul of that system. There are very few PGs who could run such an offence in this league and they're all locked up with their teams.

3) Our franchise player, Chris Bosh, IMO doesn't have a game which is suitable for a run and gun offence. His strengths are his face up game, his mid-range shot which is created by the space his defender has to give him to compensate for his retarded-quick first step, plus he's a great pick and roll power forward. I think Chris Bosh performs much better in a half court offence and probably always will. As long as Chris Bosh is the guy we're building around, I don't think that we'll be developing a Suns V2.0 or Suns XP in Toronto anytime soon.

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
I dissagree, I think that Run and Gun would be the best type of game for Bosh. For exactly all the reasons you mentioned.

Raps has what it takes to become a run and gun. I do agree that not having d'antoni and nash is a problem. And that is why I don't think that we will become suns 2.0. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up like that or we develop into something similar.

I sure hope so. I think it fits Raps best. Maybe something more in the lines of Mavs. Hopefully with better D .... yeah, one can dream, shut up.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,113 Posts
I don't know that he's literally compared their games so much as their place on our team. Maybe he thinks getting a good point guard and some rugged role players can make a playoff team out of the Raps with CV/CB as the focal points.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shookem said:
I dunno, CV31 and the Matrix have a lot of similarities in their games. Marion is a grown up version of, but it's not that far off.
I think that Matrix has unbelievable athleticism that CV doesn't have. In terms of inside-out players, sort of, but Matrix's strength is his athleticism whereas Charlie doesn't have the type of athleticism that can be used as an advantage on an opponent.

The young player who I see as being closest to the Matrix would be Josh Smith. On a side note: I wouldn't mind trading Villanueva to get him, if the Hawks would be willing.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
speedythief said:
As far as I know he has said he wants to create an "exciting brand of basketball" and has compared Bosh and Villanueva to Stoudamire and Marion.
Right, which fits into the business model as well. He won't say he wants to make PHX v2. But if you look at this Suns team and previous incarnations, before the rebuild, they also ran. It is a philosophy BC has.

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
man, i dunno. i think it'd be foolish to contrive a system according to your vision rather than the cards already on deck. for this team to start playing phoenix suns basketball, you'd have to change/re-configure virtually every department. everything would be thrown for a loop. i might be in the minority here but i just don't think we have to reach for drastic measures anymore- if we relax and complete the babcock plan, i firmly believe we'll have a winner soon (imo).

i mean, we might have (some of) the personnel already, but why? wanna start running at 100 mph, register 250 point games on a regular basis, never see the shot clock in single digits, etc.? just because it's how the general manager (presumably) enjoys watching basketball?

i think more is being made of this than should be. running for the sake of running is... almost laughable. i wouldn't do it without considering it for a long, long time.

peace

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Forget it guys. Chris Bosh sux and no players on your team can create a shot? What a struggling offensive team if u ask me. LMAO, all I see on sportcentre was Mike James went for a crossover then 3 point shot? Freaking Mike James got to be on the highlights? That's show how bad this team is.

Dont waste you team, go back to 10+ years ago go cheer for the Bulls or something.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
John said:
Forget it guys. Chris Bosh sux and no players on your team can create a shot? What a struggling offensive team if u ask me. LMAO, all I see on sportcentre was Mike James went for a crossover then 3 point shot? Freaking Mike James got to be on the highlights? That's show how bad this team is.

Dont waste you team, go back to 10+ years ago go cheer for the Bulls or something.
You sir, have very little tact.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
we're already like a crappy version of the Suns, so it's concievable that BC will apply the Phoenix model to this team.

We'll never be the Phoenix Suns, but if we can be an uptempo team with long athletes and enough defensive minded players to defend in the halfcourt, then that's all good with me

Originally posted by Team Mao!

1) We don't have Mike D'Antoni, who is more responsible for the offensive style of play than Colangelo was in Phoenix
Mitchell coaches a similar offensively minded game, with more emphasis placed on getting up shots, than playing defense

·
Registered
589 Posts
shookem said:
You sir, have very little tact.
yep.. probably the worst poster on here.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Team Mao said:
Is this due to the coach who refuses to teach defence or players?
chicken or the egg? coach or players, your guess is as good as mine. I've never seen most of the Raptors coached by anyone else in the NBA. I also have never seen Sam Mitchell coach other players, so I don't have much context to draw upon.

either way, it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I think we should follow the model of the current Pistons or Mavs - run and gun, explosive offense, but not so much that tough D is an afterthought.

I see Charlie V as a much more skilled version of Marion (on offense, he can't touch Matrix on defense). CV gets lots of the garbage points and is a good finisher, but he can create for himself better than Matrix can or ever will.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
shookem said:
chicken or the egg? coach or players, your guess is as good as mine. I've never seen most of the Raptors coached by anyone else in the NBA. I also have never seen Sam Mitchell coach other players, so I don't have much context to draw upon.

either way, it is what it is.
True. But remember the K.O. era? The Raptors could play defense then. But while they could play defense, their offensive game was pure crap.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.