Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently they have refused to shoot free throws in practice...

Read the article

No surprise that Maurice Cheeks was reduced to tears after recent Blazers' loss to the Suns. It's hard for him to control his emotions when he can't control his team. Last season, he tried to get his players to shoot foul shots in practice and they refused. "Those guys run over him," one source said. Too bad, because Cheeks doesn't deserve such treatment.
:nonono:

Sounds a lot like the situation Mike Dunleavy was in before he was fired. He was not getting the players to do what he wanted them to do.

Hmmmm what players are still around that were with Dunleavy?

Answer: Damon and Sheed

Is there a common denominator here ?

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Sad. Real sad.

I hope one of the problems isn't Damon. I mean, with all of Mo's talk about how much he "loved" the guy........

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Coach = Leader of the team

Cheeks = Coundnt coach a high school team

One thing you have to understand is we need a coach who will say do it or sit out.

We have a coach thats say do it or I will cry.

We have no leadership what so ever and that usually starts with the coach we all know his body language, we see his interviews. The guy is sweet and all but needs to be let go. We need someone who is going to put his foot down , not stick it in his mouth.

You can blame the players all u want but when your leader is a puss u are going to walk all over them. (remember having a substitute in school :yes: ) U knew u could walk over them so u did.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
A coach isnt suposta be your best friend.

They are suposta lead you, inspire you and when you arent looking stand up for you. When they start treating the players like friends they begin to loose control.

Cheeks never HAD control

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Mo never had control. I think Pip did, but Mo never did.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Gym Rat</b>!
now while this might come off as being sarcastic, or like I'm trying to mock your opinon, I'm not. I very much repsect your opinion.

My question/comment is:

You were around the team a WHOLE lot more than any of us will ever be (and most of us would probaby like to be)...do you think that Mo not having control is because Mo wasn't/isn't a good coach, or because the players just are spoiled brats and got away with being that kind of person for most of their lives?

Or is it a combo of both? Or some 3rd reason that I didn't list?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I sure as hell do not know what goes on in practice with the Blazers but it's obvious come game time that the right things haven't been worked on enough!!!!!

Now if it's a player coach problem, I would lean to the only player left who was best buds with Jeff and seems to be uncoachable and we all know that's Sheed. Maybe Cheeks was pushing very hard to get rid of Sheed over the last few weeks so he could have a squad of guys that he could COACH! Maybe Sheed is really holding the conch on this team and Mo is really Piggy here!

I do know for a fact that Sheed was a major factor that the LEGEND Dean Smith decided to retire at UNC. At that exact same time Jeff was his PG there.

Sheed has so much talent that I think Paul Allen was scared to just to trade him but as I've said before his attitude may far overshadow his skill.

We did just lose to the Warriors a team with a road record that is almost as tragic as ours, that after just coming off beating the Kings on the road.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Rasheed is one of my most favorite players and I love seeing him play well. That's why I'm saying that Nash needs to take Bonzi's advice and give sheed a change of scenary. Damon too. In fact, I bet if Sheed and damon are out of Portland by next season, Sheed would do better and so would the blazers.

P.s Damon just ain't got anymore.

PEACE

·
Registered
794 Posts
Just like any management, he either needs to be a brilliant strategist or a great motivator to stand out. I don't see any evidence for either. I don't know if this is because he doesn't "have control" of the team or what, but he's not able to get the job done. I'm with others who guess that Pippen was the only leader this team has had for the last few years.

The players are almost irrelevant to figuring this out. Look what somebody else did with the same players, and look what is currently being done to make an evaluation. I've seen corporate managers start to complain after 6 months on the job that their goals weren't being met because the workers were lazy, the other managers were interfering, one small change held up the works, etc., etc. Usually those guys are gone shortly after that. Or, in one case, he fired most of his workers, still didn't get anything done right or on time, and was let go a little while later.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
You know they brought Cheeks in to make Bonzi and Sheed happy. Guess what? Our team got worse! Now it's Cheeks fault that a "players coach" isn't being listened to.

Wrong!!!!

Some of our players are just uncoachable overpaid spoiled jerks who wouldn't listen to Jesus if he was calling in the plays.

Ya think Sheed will listen to Lenny Wilkens in New York? Lenny, Mr. Easy Going?:laugh:

What happened to Bonzi? Not jack crap, he's coming off the bench and scoring less than he did in Portland.

So Dunleavy couldn't do it, now Cheeks! How interesting.

What would make Sheed and crew happy this time?:rolleyes:

We could have gotten Carlise this year and I bet our team still would be struggling, it's not the coach it's the players.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!

now while this might come off as being sarcastic, or like I'm trying to mock your opinon, I'm not. I very much repsect your opinion.

My question/comment is:

You were around the team a WHOLE lot more than any of us will ever be (and most of us would probaby like to be)...do you think that Mo not having control is because Mo wasn't/isn't a good coach, or because the players just are spoiled brats and got away with being that kind of person for most of their lives?

Or is it a combo of both? Or some 3rd reason that I didn't list?
It is a combo of both. Mo is not a good X's and O's coach. Mo could be a great coach with the right personnel for Mo's style. This group of players need structure and discipline which isn't Mo's strong suit. Mo simply isn't the right guy to coach this group of players, in my opinion.

·
Registered
303 Posts

I believe you are correct in that ............ we need a strong coach, who "could" be a nice guy, but not a nice guy who is a weak coach.:nonono:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I've got it! After this season and Duke wins the tourni, we let Sheed walk, pick up a new PG and hire Coach K! He'll bring the team concept together and all our players are babies for him to teach.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I said the same thing early in the summer time.
From observations on the television one could tell this was the case.

I predicted that the loss of "coach" Pippen as much as anything else (perhaps more so) would adversely affect this team (and so it has become).

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Terrible</b>!
I do know for a fact that Sheed was a major factor that the LEGEND Dean Smith decided to retire at UNC. At that exact same time Jeff was his PG there.
Actually coach Smith has praised Rasheed and his understanding of the game. I very much doubt that Rasheed was a reason for Smiths departure.

Perhaps the guy simply felt the need to retire in his advanced age (that does happen).

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
You know they brought Cheeks in to make Bonzi and Sheed happy. Guess what? Our team got worse! Now it's Cheeks fault that a "players coach" isn't being listened to.

Wrong!!!!

Some of our players are just uncoachable overpaid spoiled jerks who wouldn't listen to Jesus if he was calling in the plays.

Ya think Sheed will listen to Lenny Wilkens in New York? Lenny, Mr. Easy Going?:laugh:

What happened to Bonzi? Not jack crap, he's coming off the bench and scoring less than he did in Portland.

So Dunleavy couldn't do it, now Cheeks! How interesting.

What would make Sheed and crew happy this time?:rolleyes:

We could have gotten Carlise this year and I bet our team still would be struggling, it's not the coach it's the players.
every person is coachable it's just how they go about, Cheeks is a panzy along with Dunleavy. They have no gutz.

IF U ARE A SERIOUS COACH U TELL THEM PUT UP OR SHUT UP! DO WHAT I SAY OR SIT IN GAME PERIOD. when u have a coach who is a friend the players will take u less serious and walk on u.

There are ways to make someone work but niether dunleavy or cheeks has the ability to do it. Its also funny how like many people said here is that when Pippen was here there wasnt this problem in practice's etc....Looks like there were listening to somebody....

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
You are soooo wrong here! Dean Smith watched Sheed punch a player for no reason in a Hoya game I think and he said it changed the way he looked at hoops hence forth and made him realize that he was part of a fading period in hoops.

Everyone has said Sheed has exceptional skills, doesn't change the fact he's uncoachable!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Dunleavy was the scapegoat for a team that held championship aspirations (and expectations) only to fail in embarrassing fashion.

Dunleavy never had a problem getting the team to execute on the floor or adjust to tactics employed by the opposition.

Dunleavy was the victim of the chemistry fiasco in which hordes of talented players were grumbling for playing time.

- Damon complained due to Anthony playing down the stretch.
- Damon imploded after the acquisition of Strickland
- Smith was furious that Wells claimed his starting spot.
- Pippen resented Schrempf (sp) taking away from his playing time.
- Grant wanted to start (the season prior).
- O'Neal wanted to play (the season prior).
- Davis wanted to play more minutes.

With the perception (and headlines) of underachievers, embarrassments, choke artists and such circulating the media scene grumbling from within led to the players tuning out the coach for their own selfish reasons (We would not be losing if I played more... that sort of thing).

Cheeks has not had that problem.

His problem is his inability to direct the players on the floor.
His problem is his inability to identify the teams strengths and weaknesses.
His problem is his inability to adjust readily.
His problem is his inability to coach.

·
Registered
990 Posts
You are soooo wrong here! Dean Smith watched Sheed punch a player for no reason in a Hoya game I think and he said it changed the way he looked at hoops hence forth and made him realize that he was part of a fading period in hoops.

Everyone has said Sheed has exceptional skills, doesn't change the fact he's uncoachable!
Perhaps you are right (I am not too knowledgeable on that subject). However I very much doubt that a fight would lead to a coach throwing in the towel (player fights go back to games played on peach baskets).

"...made him realize that he was part of a fading period in hoops"

This leads me to believe that the reason why had more to do with a feeling that was already building over the changing social climate (in relation to player coachability).

I will take your word on the subject (but one would think that Rasheed Wallace pushing the legend Dean Smith away from the game would have been played up more).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts