Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Hassell's attitude. Krause said yesterday that he's worked out at the Berto Center more than any other Bulls player in history. "He broke Horace Grant's record."

I liked Hassell to begin with. He played intelligently during his rookie season and showed the ability to create for himself without disrupting team chemistry. For all these reasons, I think he should start. It gives us some defense in the starting lineup without hurting us offensively. And it also sets a great example for the kids. It shows that regardless who you are, you have to earn your spot. I only hope Eddie and Tyson are taking notes.

Here's my lineup:

Jamal Crawford
Trenton Hassell
Jalen Rose
Tyson Chandler
Eddie Curry

However, if Curry hurts us too much defensively, I wouldn't mind someone else in the lineup, like Fizer maybe (if he showed defensive improvement). We can then move Tyson to the 5.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I really do not believe...

...that this years starting lineup will be for last seasons efforts...rather it will be predicated upon how well whomever, plays this preseason.

Jay Williams/Crawford/Mason
Jamal Crawford/EROB/Hassell/Hoiberg
Jalen Rose/Marshall/EROB
Tyson Chandler/Fizer/Baxter
Eddie Curry/Blount/Chandler/Bags

wow, thats all 15 players!! lol Bags, hoiberg and Mason will start on the IR.:grinning:

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Yeah, I can understand wanting to play Hassell, but his minutes will be vastly diminished this year unless there is an injury. The Bulls are intent to move Rose to the 2 guard, which is a smart move IMO, but Jalen will eat up almost all of the minutes at 2. If they did start Rose at the 3 that puts two bonafide players with some experience in E-Rob & Marshall on the bench. In short, it's not gonna happen.

Here is My best guess for the startiing 5:

pg-Crawford

sg-Rose

sf-Marshall (E-rob might beat him out though)

pf-Chandler

C- Curry

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Hassel will get lots of time if...

Hassel will get lots of time if he hits his shot with any more consistancy than he did last season.

A slight improvement in FG% and he is our most all-around player and will not be on the bench.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
If Hassell starts at 2 guard, either it's a really good thing or it it signals the Bulls are financial comitted to paying big money to 3 small fowards!

If Hassell starts, either Trenton has gotten alot better over the summer or that Krause's lastest free agent aquistions are busts.

I really like Hassell. I think a combination of Jalen, Hassell and Jay is intriguing. Trenton is so fundementaly sound he would compliment the others quite well.

I would rather see Jalen matching with a 3, than seeing a quick shooting guard blast past him down the lane. Hassell can guard 2's.

If Jalen is the best option at 3, where does this leave ERobinson and Marshall ? Alot of money for 6th and 7th men. Maybe I am wrong about Marshall and Robinson.

Regardless, do to size of contracts the Bulls will have Jalen playing out of position at shooting guard and either Robinson or Marshall playing small forward. We will not only have vast scoring options but no defense what so ever.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Hassell may not start but will play a lot

Some more thoughts

There are not really 2 positions (SG\SF) to split but 96 minutes.

Also, Hoiberg, not Hassel, is the guy whose minutes will really be cut. Hoiberg played 18 minutes a game for 79 games last year which is the most that the so-called Vet, MR. Robinson, ever played before last year.

Marshall, althought Sam Smith does not know this, can play 4, has played 4 at GSW and expected to play 4 in Utah after Malone retired.

Hassel will have to play 2 sometimes as I don't really see Rose or Robinson chasing AI or similar guys around all game.

If the whole team is healthy, let's use JWill\Craw at the point and Hassel\Robinson guarding the 2 and let's press all game.

Damn, if the minutes crush is our biggest problem, that will be a very nice problem to have.:grinning:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Re: I really do not believe...

Originally posted by <b>BamaBull</b>!
...that this years starting lineup will be for last seasons efforts...rather it will be predicated upon how well whomever, plays this preseason.

Jay Williams/Crawford/Mason
Jamal Crawford/EROB/Hassell/Hoiberg
Jalen Rose/Marshall/EROB
Tyson Chandler/Fizer/Baxter
Eddie Curry/Blount/Chandler/Bags

wow, thats all 15 players!! lol Bags, hoiberg and Mason will start on the IR.:grinning:
Not to be nit picky but thats only 14 player, but since they signed Graves, Bruson, Overton one of these guys will ride the IR with Hoiberg and Mason.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Re: Hassell may not start but will play a lot

Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!

Damn, if the minutes crush is our biggest problem, that will be a very nice problem to have.:grinning:
I agree 100%
Since when is being 2 deep at every position a bad thing!?!?!

Plus... Other then Jalen, and prolly Marshall, is anyone on this team HONESTLY ready to handle more then 24-28 minutes a game? Crawford, Williams, Chandler, Curry, Robinson.... I'm not so sure. I think any more then 30 minutes a game will KILL these guys at the end of a season.

Baby-ing them with around 25 minutes a game may help them aviod the "rookie wall" (which all of them have a very good chance of hitting!) may be better then throwing them out there for 35 minutes a game and wearing them out...

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
A minutes crush while winning 21 games is a problem. It means you have too many guys at the same level, and should try and consolidate.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BCH</b>!
A minutes crush while winning 21 games is a problem. It means you have too many guys at the same level, and should try and consolidate.
Last year the Bulls were FAR from 2 deep and won 21 games. There was no minutes crush last year. We were looking for ANYONE who could play PG. This year we have 3 or 4 guys who can play better then AJ Guyton and Kevin Ollie...

This year we ARE 2 deep. I'd like to see what this squad can do before consolidating. I don't see what last years record has to do with this years squad...

How is it Dallas/Indiana/New Orleans/Sacramento/others can be deep and it's a good thing... and the Bulls are deep and some seem to think it's a bad thing?

:rbanana:

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
We had no minutes crush while winning 21 games. We had banged up small forwards and Hoiberg playing out of position there at times. We were missing our starting point guard for the majority of the season.

With everyone healthy, we are sure to have some unhappy campers about their role just like most teams. Again, if this is our biggest problem, so be it.

Unlike Detroit's Rodney White fire sale, I don't see any reason to give any of our young talented guys away at this point for squat.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hassell should not start if ERob/Marshall are still on our roster. I agree that Hassell is a very good defender but we need scorers. If we let Hassell started, then our scoring options are Rose and, "Emergency only", Curry and whoever starts at PG. We can not throw the ball in to Curry all the times. He is only 19 and only 1 year removed away from HS. Although he is darn good offensively, but he needs more time.

As far as PG, we can't depend on neither Williams or Crawford to give us consistent scoring. They are good scorers but again too young. They are not GP, Davis, and those All-star caliber players yet. They, again, need time.

So, here is my starting5

Williams
Rose
Marshall
Chandler
Curry

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
geez always the optomist here on the Bulls board, eh?

You need to consolidate your time elsewhere...ya think?

I don't know about the rest of of the bulls posters, but I for one would rather have positive thoughts of the unknown...instead of your negativity when it comes to the Bulls. We did not have these players last year, did we? nah... Reality is one thng, but Think for once, we have not won 21 games this year...as a matter of fact, we have not played one so there is no basis or reason for that assumption on your part, now is there?

This thread was speaking of how it should or MIGHT be THIS year with THESE players. thank you.:eek:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hassell to me is the perfect type of sixth man. He is a soild player who unfortunately doesn't have a clear position on this team. Rose, Robinson, and Marshall stand in his way at the 2/3 positions. Those guys make the big bucks.

That being said, Hassell may very well start at some point in the season due to injuries, poor play, etc. He may be one of those guys who you keep trying to find a replacement in the line up for, but in the end he becomes the best player for the position.

John Paxson was that way. Several times the Bulls brought in replacements for Paxson (Steve Colter, Sam Vincent, Craig Hodges) but in the end Pax hung in there and showed he was in fact the best for the job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts