Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Word is they have a three-year, $30 million extension on the table as well. Can it be this soon that Allen isn't comfortable with the personnel moves being brought upstairs from Nash and Patterson?

They've got until Feb. 19 to arrive at some conclusion, but it still appears Wallace would rather stay, his teammates would rather he stay and the coaching staff would just as soon have him working with hot young Zack Randolph up front. So if they're not going to send him to Dallas in a Antawn Jamison package or to New York for Keith Van Horn-plus or Cleveland for Zyrdunas Ilgauskas-plus, Allen and his immediate subordinates might conclude it makes much more sense financially as well.
This is the only place I have seen this....does this explain why the burden seems to be lifted off the team?

You all know this will make me extremely happy! :D

LINK

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
The other option is this. It could be an extended offer from another team. I understand that a few teams have interest in him, but are concerned about loosing him after the summer. So itr could be that one of those teams won't pull the triggfer, unless Sheed is locked up for 3 years or so.

I can't remember which team was said to be concerned about that, but I think it was Chicago.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
If it's true, and if it isn't part of a quasi sign and trade, it would appear the purse strings aren't as tight as we previously thought. I'd be shocked if any other team ponies up close to $10M per year, so assuming Sheed wants to stay, it looks good for keeping him.

Dan

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I was wrong, it is Cleveland, not chicago.

I sdon't know if any trade restrictions kick in though if it were to happen.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
10 mil per isn't all that bad. If he stays at center and does his job like he's supposed to by doing exactly what he did last night against Sacto, then he's more than welcome to stay in the Rose City. Maybe some other deals should be done as in trading away Dale Davis or Damon Stoudamire or even McInnis if Q and managemente are serious about letting the offense flow through him.

Players we should build around:

Wallace
Randolph
Patterson
Woods
Outlaw

Complementary players that wouldn't hurt too bad to lose:

Anderson
McInnis
Davis
Person (I'd love to keep him, actually)

Players that are expendable:

Boumtje-Boumtje
Stepania

Get the hell outta here:

Stoudamire

I know the losing has been hard this year, but I see good things for the future.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
The other option is this. It could be an extended offer from another team. I understand that a few teams have interest in him, but are concerned about loosing him after the summer. So itr could be that one of those teams won't pull the triggfer, unless Sheed is locked up for 3 years or so.

I can't remember which team was said to be concerned about that, but I think it was Chicago.
.....and today Curry and Chandler are available or as they put it, "Not Untouchable"? Deadline is coming so something is going to have to give, should be interesting. :yes:

·
Registered
936 Posts
10 mil per isn't all that bad. If he stays at center and does his job like he's supposed to by doing exactly what he did last night against Sacto, then he's more than welcome to stay in the Rose City.
What would make you think Sheed will EVER be "that guy" night in and night out? It will NEVER happen, he has already proven it as FACT. Don't be so easily fooled by ONE game's performance.

Of course we'd accept Sheed if he posted 20/10 every night.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I would give up Sheed to get Curry plus others. Maybe a Sheed plus someone else deal for Curry and Crawford would happen, lotta salary though.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
BTW this Rumor floated around the PreBash on Saturday night, and was quikly squashed by a guest who was in the know.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bfan1</b>!

rumor of an offer?
Yep..

BTW I did some checking an it looks like Portland would be at about 26mil in the summer of 2005 including Sheeds "extension".

Players under contract would be

Sheed
Anderson
Patterson
Randolph
Woods
Outlaw
2004 1st Port (approx 1.5mil)
2004 1st Mem (Approx 1.25mil)
2005 1st Por (1mil estimate)

So we would be likely areoun 30Mil without signing additional players for the MLE. That would allow Portland to sign a player starting at somewhere between 10 and 12 mill a season. Plus a couple veteran Minimum deals.

Not too bad of a core to start forming.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
From the article...

The problem is Patterson and Nash walked in the door and bashed Wallace publicly, so the press conference where they announce the extension would be pretty uncomfortable. Actually, Allen would be the best master of ceremonies in that one. But that's still the best solution, even if it is for a little more than the $30 million. He'll still be very tradable at that point, and there won't be any base year compensation issues, because he'll be making less money than he did this year.
I don't recall them bashing Sheed publicly, I recall them saying everyone was starting with a clean slate. Outside of a moving violation/traffic ticket, Wallace hasn't done anything wrong since.

Anyway, other then squashing the constant rumors, is there any benefit for the Blazers offering an extention mid-season as opposed to resigning him in the offseason? Armed with his Bird rights and with very few teams under the cap who'll be able to drive up his price above 10 mil per, Portland will be in the best position to sign him either for themselves or as part of an S&T if they wait untill the offseason. Extending him now would seem to limit some of their potencial S&T flexibility as he'd be locked into figures. I doubt his financial future is troubling him to the point of detracting from his on-court play... I just don't see what Portland's motivation would be in doing this.

Seems like another bogus rumor to me.

STOMP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts