Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To read the article click URL=http://waymoresports.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=waymoresports/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1026144639132&call_page=WM_Raptors&call_pageid=979061475221&call_pagepath=Raptors/Raptors]here[/URL]

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Or just click on the <a href="http://waymoresports.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=waymoresports/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1026144639132&call_page=WM_Raptors&call_pageid=979061475221&call_pagepath=Raptors/Raptors]here">link</a href>.

Now, there's a reason I think most Canadian sports reporters are complete, and utter idiots when it comes to basketball. This article was written in complete ignorance and stupidity. This may well be the Raptors worst off-season ever, but this idiot forgets that the Raptors are HEALTHY next season. He forgets that Alvin Williams was injured all season last year. That we were 29-21 before Vince's injury. That we had Mo Peterson, Jerome Williams, Chris Childs, and Hakeem who went down with injury during that stretch. And the only player of that list we still don't have on our roster is Childs. He also seems to forget that we'll have Hakeem off the books at the end of the season, so our salary won't be $60 million next year, and it wouldn't even if we DID have Hakeem.

This guy is Canadian, which already gives him a minus, and he also didn't do his research, which isn't surprising. This article, like every other Raptors article, is biased against the Raptors. Face it, nobody wants the Raptors to succeed. Not here, not in the U.S., not anywhere.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Budweiser_Boy</b>!
Or just click on the <a href="http://waymoresports.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=waymoresports/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1026144639132&call_page=WM_Raptors&call_pageid=979061475221&call_pagepath=Raptors/Raptors]here">link</a href>.

Now, there's a reason I think most Canadian sports reporters are complete, and utter idiots when it comes to basketball. This article was written in complete ignorance and stupidity. This may well be the Raptors worst off-season ever, but this idiot forgets that the Raptors are HEALTHY next season. He forgets that Alvin Williams was injured all season last year. That we were 29-21 before Vince's injury. That we had Mo Peterson, Jerome Williams, Chris Childs, and Hakeem who went down with injury during that stretch. And the only player of that list we still don't have on our roster is Childs. He also seems to forget that we'll have Hakeem off the books at the end of the season, so our salary won't be $60 million next year, and it wouldn't even if we DID have Hakeem.

This guy is Canadian, which already gives him a minus, and he also didn't do his research, which isn't surprising. This article, like every other Raptors article, is biased against the Raptors. Face it, nobody wants the Raptors to succeed. Not here, not in the U.S., not anywhere.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that Hakeem's contract lasts for TWO more years.

And ACTUALLY, the Raptors' 2003-04 payroll, after they sign their 1st round pick next year, will be pretty close to $60 mil. It'll be around $58 mil.

And didn't the Raptors go on a ridiculous losing streak BEFORE Vince got hurt? Right?

And why will the Raptors automatically be healthy this season? Isn't it possible that you're looking at a lot of injury-prone players here?

I don't know, dude. From where I'm standing, this looks like a 10th place team to me. A 10th place team with a $50+ mil payroll. NOT GOOD.

In order to avoid the luxury tax and its dreadful consequences this season, the Raptors STILL need to reduce their payroll. Here's a trade that would allow the team to avoid the luxury tax (for NEXT year, anyway):

Hakeem Olajuwon, Eric Montross, Michael Stewart, and Mamadou N'Dyaiae to the Mavs; Wang Zhi Zhi (sign-and-trade), Shawn Bradley, and Avery Johnson to the Raptors

And I like Vince, I'd love to see professional basketball work up in Canada. But their front office has made some pretty awful moves over the past few years.

Projected 2002-03 Eastern Conference Standings

1 New Jersey 54-28
2 Detroit 52-30
3 New Orleans 49-33
4 Philadelphia 45-37
5 Orlando 45-37
6 Indiana 44-38
7 Washington 42-40
8 Boston 42-40
---
9 Miami 39-43
10 Toronto 37-45
11 Atlanta 35-47
12 Milwaukee 34-48
13 Chicago 30-52
14 New York 26-56
15 Cleveland 16-66

And YES, I AM assuming that MJ plays next year and stays relatively healthy. If he DOESN'T play, go ahead and drop Washington down to #14, bump the #8-#14 teams up a notch apiece.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Hakeem's contract lasts for TWO more years.
Nope, the third year is only if we make the finals, which we won't.

And ACTUALLY, the Raptors' 2003-04 payroll, after they sign their 1st round pick next year, will be pretty close to $60 mil. It'll be around $58 mil.

And didn't the Raptors go on a ridiculous losing streak BEFORE Vince got hurt? Right?
Yes, before the SECOND time Vince got hurt. After Vince's first injury, we did bad because 1) we didn't have Vince and other injured players, and 2) when we DID have Vince, he was only 70%, and the team runs through him, so the rest of the team was also playing at 70%! THEN, he needed surgery and the Raptors started winning, partly because we had an EASY schedule, and partly because we were playing under Lenny's TEAM strategy.

And why will the Raptors automatically be healthy this season? Isn't it possible that you're looking at a lot of injury-prone players here?
Well, Vince isn't injury prone, and neither is Jerome Williams or Mo Peterson, who all had their first major injuries last season. Alvin played injured all last season and played all 82 games, and at the end of the season needed THREE surgeries that all went well. He's fine, and he might need some time to get back to 2001 form, but I'm willing to give him the opportunity to prove himself again.

I don't know, dude. From where I'm standing, this looks like a 10th place team to me. A 10th place team with a $50+ mil payroll. NOT GOOD.

In order to avoid the luxury tax and its dreadful consequences this season, the Raptors STILL need to reduce their payroll. Here's a trade that would allow the team to avoid the luxury tax (for NEXT year, anyway):

Hakeem Olajuwon, Eric Montross, Michael Stewart, and Mamadou N'Dyaiae to the Mavs; Wang Zhi Zhi (sign-and-trade), Shawn Bradley, and Avery Johnson to the Raptors
Honestly, I'd love to see that trade you proposed happen. But I doubt the Mavs would do it. There's only one expiring contract going their way, and two stiffs along with an unproven player who DOES have lots of potential, but that's about it. And in return they give up a player that Nellie really likes and two bench players, who combined are better than Montross, Stewart and N'Diaye combined. I doubt it'll happen.

And I like Vince, I'd love to see professional basketball work up in Canada. But their front office has made some pretty awful moves over the past few years.

Projected 2002-03 Eastern Conference Standings

1 New Jersey 54-28
2 Detroit 52-30
3 New Orleans 49-33
4 Philadelphia 45-37
5 Orlando 45-37
6 Indiana 44-38
7 Washington 42-40
8 Boston 42-40
---
9 Miami 39-43
10 Toronto 37-45
11 Atlanta 35-47
12 Milwaukee 34-48
13 Chicago 30-52
14 New York 26-56
15 Cleveland 16-66

And YES, I AM assuming that MJ plays next year and stays relatively healthy. If he DOESN'T play, go ahead and drop Washington down to #14, bump the #8-#14 teams up a notch apiece.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts