Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If we have, I cannot see it. Our off season moves did nothing to help our overall chance to progress in the playoffs. Our moves did nothing to help our interior defense and rebounding. The moves of getting both Hunter and Murray are to improve our scoring, nothing more.Hunter has never really done anything special and always disappears in the playoffs, just like he did with the Pistons, Bucks and Lakers.

The reason why we struggled in the preseason games, was that our jump shooters were off, more times then not. If we are going to be a jump shooting team, then we better get some more rebounders, because there is going to be a hell of a lot of shots clanging of the rim.

Other teams are going to target Antonio Davis, just like they did last season. They are going to exploit our lack of quality big guys. Just like the Celtics did to the Raptors in a game last year. We had Davis on Walker and Walker drew Davis out of the paint. Pierce got free, started to cut to the basket. Easy score. One, because dragging Davis out of the key, created space for the other team to generate an offensive attack to score and opened up the key for them.

This also resulted in our best rebounder being caught out of position, about 15 feet from the basket, reducing the chance of us getting the rebound. Teams will use this ploy against us, so hoepfully, McCoy and Bradley can just be absolute board cleaners and provide us with a defensive presence.

If we are going to base our offense around a perimeter attack, our big men better set some strong screens and make sure they bang some guys, who like to scrag and hang onto Vince and Peterson. The big guys need to intimidate more and protect our true scorers otherwise, we are in trouble.

I would like our offense to be a little less predictable. To break it down, I see our offense as Williams brings the ball down the court and feeds Carter. Screens are set up high and Carter is free to go to work. The screen hopefully can stop his defender and get an easy score. When this play does not happen, the offense starts again. When Carter gets doubled, our offense stagnates and it is here that we struggle. But hopefully, now we have more offensive options and weapons to score, when this happens.

I agree that we need to spread the defense out and create space for our slashers to cut and free wheel to the rim. We can do this, with our shooters, who are threats to shoot long range jumpers, to keep the defense honest.

I would also like to see Lenny Wilkens be a little less predictable, particularly in our offensive sets. Our offense is just too structured and is too set. For example, our guys are not really free to move and operate, they are too limited in the area that they can move in. This was evident last year, when Carter was mainly operating from the perimeter. He needs to loosen the reigns and just let the offense flow more, instead of being so stagnant.The players need to be able to create and use their flair and natural instincts more. Wilkins is under pressure this year, make no mistake!!

At the end of the day our big men core will take us to the next level. Our shooters and scorers will only carry the team so far. Will be a very interesting season!!

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
I agree... it will be a very interesting season for the Raps.

For your first question, no, we haven't improved on paper from last year. But now Alvin and Vince, along with everyone who was injured last year, is healthy, Vince is also much more pumped up, and AD had that horrible start to the season last year. So while we lost Keon, Hakeem, Childs and Curry, and we replaced them with McCoy, Huffman and Murray, I highly doubt we'll lose 40 games again this year if everyone for the most part, is healthy.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well...

There is no more excuses anymore. The team has been put together and there are no more injuries. We have the team that our General Manager has put together and that is it. If we fail to make the playoffs in the East, we need to really have a good long hard look at our team and build it up again.There can be no doubt about that.

I keep saying, how we are so close, or over the luxury tax, with only one superstar, just makes no sense. Our General Manager needs to really come under intense scrutiny.

This is how I see opening night against the Wizards, taking into account matchups:

Centre - McCoy - Needs to be rewarded with some solid games in preseason. he is a load and allows Davis to play his more natural and preferred power forward spot

Power Forward - Davis - Needs to block the key, to reduce easy cuts to the basket. Needs to score better in the post. Needs to get more aggresive on offense and lay it up hard on the defense

Small Forward - Peterson - Needs to keep building and be the teams second option on offense, when Carter is cold

Shooting Guard - Carter - Huge season coming up. Nothing less.

Point Guard - Williams - Needs to do more and get more consistent

1st off bench - Murray - Needs to get hot early. Come into the game and fire out of the blocks.

2nd of bench - Junk Yard Dog - To lock up the hot wing players and play the 4 spot. Go hard on the offensive glass and use his quickness to steal the ball and start the break.

3rd off bench - Hunter - Solid defensive guard, we need him to stifle the quicker penetrative point guards

4th of bench - Bradley - Needs more playing time to develop
etc etc etc

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Michael Bradley has looked like a rebounding monster so far in the preseason, imho. I think Lenny is finally going to give this guy some PT - he should - what with how this guy has the desire to fight for rebounds and "one cannot win without the ball".

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know what...

I would love to get a younger coach, who is not so set in his ways. A younger guy with fresher ideas and basketball instincts. It is time for this to happen on the Raptors. I have nothing against Wilkins, as a person, but I just want the players to play more with flair and take some risks. How many times, last season was Peterson benched, because he made errors on defense. Let him learn from his mistakes and go forward, with confidence.

Wilkins is still implementing olden based offensive plays and sets, that are kind of outdated. Todays offense is based around motion and fluidity and the Raptors offense just seems to structured and stagnant, making it too predictable and easier for other teams to break it down.

I don't know, but if we cannot get better this year, Wilkins is just not the man for the job.Maybe we need a more fresher and innovative approach, to go forward in the future.We need to get more aggressive on defense as well and cut out all the trapping etc, that does not really work anymore, particularly against the faster NBA game, that exists today.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
You make a valid point about Lenny. There were so many games last year where I saw what you described, too. His court demeanor alone doesn't inspire "enthusiasm" at all - in fact, maybe it squelches that passion and enthusiasm many players have. Even the JYDog seemed to tone down his usual contageous enthusiasm and that is NOT good!

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah...

To me it just seems that Lenny is not enjoying his coaching anymore. I do not know if that is just his personality trait, but he seems to lack enthusiasm currently.He seems to me that he is just tired and lacks the passion to take the Raptors forward.

We need a coach that is not so set in his ways, as I have said. A guy that will give the ball to the younger players and encourage risk taking. He also needs to involve the younger guys in the play and not just bench the life out of them, like he did with the Hawks.Play the rookies and let them learn from their mistakes, in order to advance their development.

Nothing really went right last season for the Raptors, mainly due to injuries and lack of consistency, but Wilkins needs to be accountable. I really do not care how many wins he has coached in the past, if he cannot get the job done, this season, he will never get it done. The Raptors are fresh and injury free, so there are no more excuses.

The younger coaches of today are bringing fresher ideas and newer and exciting offensive and defensive sets and schemes. I just hope that we are not missing out on this newer trend. The game has changed and is faster and more up tempo, has Wilkins adapted his coaching for this change??

I mean coaching today is all about getting the best out of your players. The Warriors have taken to changing the locker room setup, in order to have more cohesiveness, as well as a move toward powerpoint pre game presentations, etc.Hopefully, we the Raptors can implement this in our team structure. We need to move with the times and hopefully Wilkins can get with it!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I really think Lenny's coaching skills dont fit this team. Lenny's organized offense (half court) offense does nothing as our primary option. With athletic, versatile players like Vince, MOP, JYD Alvin this team needs to run alot more.

Lenny's coaching technique maybe suited for a team like Utah, San antonio but not a young team (prime team) like the Raps.

I was fairly confident that McCoy was are starting C just a week ago but with the steller play of Micheal Bradley (3rd in the league in rebounds preseason, despite limited minutes) This kid needs to be put in.

AD
Bradley
MOP
Vince
Alvin

Is a solid starting 5 exspecially if Bradley keeps up his preaseason habbits.

JYD is the other option at the PF spot.

We definetly took a step backward with the loss of Keon and on paper we dont look as good. But Vince and Alvin are healthy and MOP is a year older. I guess will just wait and see.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think the Raptors have improved this year.

Loss of Keon and Hakeem was bad.
On the good side, turned Murray's useless butt into a backup PG. Also got some use out of Yogi by getting Lamond Murray. Giving Bradley minutes would greatly improve this team; if nothing else a presence on the defensive glass that we have been lacking since the the Oakley years. I think as Bradley gains in confidence on the offensive end, so to will the offensive rebounding #'s will come.

Note to G.G. make sure you don't over pay Bradley like you did Yogi.:no:

I don't think Bradley will start until he shows Lenny he deserves the start; just like Mo Pete had to win the job over Williamson.

PG Williams Hunter Jackson
SG Carter Peterson Hunter/Myers
SF Peterson Murray Jefferies
PF JYD Bradley Huffman
C AD McCoy N'diaye Montross

When Bradley shows promise JYD will be the backup and provide more energy off the bench.:vbanana:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Psubs</b>!

I don't think Bradley will start until he shows Lenny he deserves the start;
Hmm

NAME RPG

Gooden, Mem. 12.7
Wallace, Det. 12.0
Duncan, S.A. 9.3
Bradley, Tor. 9.2

Those numbers are despite playing non starter minutes. When you have team that is in need of rebounding and have a player who is the top 5 in rebounds throughout the pre-season. I dont think Lenny has many other choices, considering the fact that he has said on numerous occasions he perfers JYD bringing energy off the bench.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Shadows</b>!

Hmm

NAME RPG

Gooden, Mem. 12.7
Wallace, Det. 12.0
Duncan, S.A. 9.3
Bradley, Tor. 9.2

Those numbers are despite playing non starter minutes. When you have team that is in need of rebounding and have a player who is the top 5 in rebounds throughout the pre-season. I dont think Lenny has many other choices, considering the fact that he has said on numerous occasions he perfers JYD bringing energy off the bench.
Man, who would have thought we'd see Bradley's name up there like that? The kid seems to have assimilated the dogged determination of TJYD when it comes to staying with it to get a rebound. I think this is an unexpected treat for Raptor fans for this season.

I just hope the kid gets the PT he needs (Lenny can be strange about things like PT - we have Kenny Norman as an example of Pettiness and PT !!) - not only to help with rebounding, but for his confidence to grow. That'll be great for him and the TEAM!

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
I hope he can give us anything near what Keon gaves us.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Shadows</b>!

Hmm

NAME RPG

Gooden, Mem. 12.7
Wallace, Det. 12.0
Duncan, S.A. 9.3
Bradley, Tor. 9.2

That's increible... but it is only preseason.... still, I agree - he has more than shown during the preseason and summer leagues that he deserves some minutes...

LENNY, PLAY BRADLEY!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts