Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Treated you like something he dug out of his nose? I haven't met any NBA players, but I know all too well how stars can be pretty harsh to their fans. This post is sort of in response to the "have you ever been to school with a college/NBA player" thread, which most people ended their post with "I met Abc Xyz, and he was pretty cool." Has anyone met an NBA player who was not cool?

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
I've only met a few players ("met" meaning that I got a handshake as they were heading out of the arena), but none were ever rude at all. I've had experiences with some that are kind of stand offish, but none that ignored people or gave them annoyed looks.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Originally posted by <b>D5</b>!
Antawn Jamison. Was after a Warriors game a few years ago and people went to shake his hand after the game and he said something along the likes:

"Get away from me or I'll call the cops."
:laugh: Thats pretty funny, sounds like something Ricky Williams would say since he's so scared to talk to people.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
I have only met players once, but I met quite a few (like 10)

T-Mac was a dick
Donyell Marshall was in a hurry and wasnt to nice at all

Everyone else was quite friendly

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Air McNair 09</b>!

:laugh: Thats pretty funny, sounds like something Ricky Williams would say since he's so scared to talk to people.
Well, I think Ricky Williams got over that stage in his life, if I'm correct?

·
Premium Member
100,070 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Devestata</b>!

Well, I think Ricky Williams got over that stage in his life, if I'm correct?
Yeah, that stage of his life is over. He said he used to be afraid to go outside of his house to get the mail, because he was afraid one of his neighbors might see him and say hello.:sigh: But that stage is indeed over in his life.

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
I got autographs from Antonio Daniels and Bryant "Big Country" Reeves at a golf tournament while they were still in Vancouver. Both guys were quite nice, but AD was a rookie and Big Country was a doofy country boy. But I'm sure guys like Nash, JYD, and Allen are among the stars that would treat their fans well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've met quite a few players and they have all been nothing but nice.

Ray Allen & Peja were probably 2 of the nicest most accommodating players that I have the good fortune to meet.

Travis Best was very nice and had a smile for everyone.

Doug Christie, Peja and Vlade are exceptional with children

Bobby will never say no to an autograph if you should run into him but he doesn't make himself overly approachable either. He needs to learn to smile though.

For me as long as they treat my child good, I'm okay.
But luckily I've only had good experiences

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rukahS capuT</b>!

Yeah, that stage of his life is over. He said he used to be afraid to go outside of his house to get the mail, because he was afraid one of his neighbors might see him and say hello.:sigh: But that stage is indeed over in his life.
Was it just a normal fear or was it just like something wrong with him?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I met Bill Walton and he's weirder in real life than he is on TV.

I could've met Shaq, but I was so amazed by his massiveness I forgot to introduce myself or say anything.

Jerry Sloan is a very nice guy.

Michael Ruffin is a nice guy.

Keith Van Horn is a nice guy.

Andre Miller is the most shy person I've ever met in my life...seems nice though.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
^
Well that explains why he always had his helmet on during in game interviews and maybe thats why he always had shades on during games with no sun.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I went to an autograph signing for Bobby Jackson and there was maybe 350 people in line and after the 1st 300 NO ONE was allowed after. There were a lot of children there, I thought that was pretty rude after we'd all waited hours to see him. It might not have been his decision though. Mike Bibby is really shy, but nice. Chris Webber is really friendly from what I've heard. I saw Vlade at his restaurant Tunel 21 and he kinda rolled his eyes at me when I waved at him.

·
Registered
490 Posts
i've never had a bad experience with a famous athlete and i've met a ton, enough of a good collective experience that i find myself sticking up for the players when there's some joker talking about how all famous people are dicks. famous people are just people that get approached by strangers, some friendly some not, all the time. i don't think i could be nice to every 'fan' i ever met if i was in that situation. i think in general they do a pretty good job.

i wouldn't sign all those autographs unless there was a kid wanting it and asking for it, cuz so many of these joker middle aged fans just run to ebay or their card shop with it to try to make a buck.

i also hate the people that want to meet someone just because they are famous, even if they have no idea who they are or what they do, or they think they are someone else. i mean shake someone's hand, but don't make smalltalk if you have no idea who they are or are actually familiar with what they do for a living.

i've met quit a few players over the years and don't have any bad stories to report. a couple of polite brushoffs but i'm fine with that. my brother, however, saw mike tyson eating at the same restaurant as him in cleveland about 10-15 years ago and walked over to the table, said "iron mike i'm a big fan, it's a pleasure to meet you" and extended his hand. tyson, who was sitting with a group of people, just kind of looked up at him and didn't extend his hand. my brother said he sensed the dis and said 'whatever' and walked away. i wasn't there so i can't confirm it, but i told my brother he shouldn't have bothered him during dinner. but according to my brother mike tyson dissed him and he's a big dick.

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
my sister and i met kenny anderson when we were younger and he didn't want to sign more than one autograph for her (she was only around 7 at the time and she wanted a second autograph for our brother). i found that pretty rude.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.