Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That the most vocal doom predicting posters on this board have been absent for the most part while many of us enjoy this teams scrappy play and over achieving? I guess they will be back when we start the long road trip and our young team starts racking up the inevitable road losses that young teams do.

I am just shocked that Jason Quick can give this team (players, coaches and management) the respect they do for what they have accomplished so far, but some of our own most vocal (posting) members will not. Just thought it was interesting. I am sure it is just a coincidence. :cheers:

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
BIG Q said:
That the most vocal doom predicting posters on this board have been absent for the most part while many of us enjoy this teams scrappy play and over achieving? I guess they will be back when we start the long road trip and our young team starts racking up the inevitable road losses that young teams do.

I am just shocked that Jason Quick can give this team (players, coaches and management) the respect they do for what they have accomplished so far, but some of our own most vocal (posting) members will not. Just thought it was interesting. I am sure it is just a coincidence. :cheers:
Somewhat true but I have to give credit to Mixum, he seems to concede that he was at least partially wrong so far.

http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=217028

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
BIG Q said:

the road trip might bring back the group you're reffering to..we fans just got to remember that even if they go 0-7 on the trip (wow, that'd suck!) it's not like we were on pace to win the division (realistically).

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think some people aren't happy unless they are complaining! Don't worry, they will get their chances this year to declare that the sky is falling...

Next year, though, I expect we'll be back in the playoffs for another decade!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just never aroung this board when the Blazers were actually winning, so I have no idea what the posting habits are of our most celebrated nay-sayers are when the team is winning. now that we have won a few, they are absent, but they sure are vocal when we are losing.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
BIG Q said:
I was just never aroung this board when the Blazers were actually winning, so I have no idea what the posting habits are of our most celebrated nay-sayers are when the team is winning. now that we have won a few, they are absent, but they sure are vocal when we are losing.
Like you said, you haven't been around long enough to tell what the posting habits of most people on this board are.

I think I have an idea of who you're talking about. Look at post counts...if it's in the 10,000 range? They PROBABLY don't just post when we're losing, you know?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
The Blazers have exceeded my expectations so far this season. Even Telfair looks better than I thought he would.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fork said:
Like you said, you haven't been around long enough to tell what the posting habits of most people on this board are.

I think I have an idea of who you're talking about. Look at post counts...if it's in the 10,000 range? They PROBABLY don't just post when we're losing, you know?
Exactly, those are the posters I like to hear from! They have been posting for a long time and I would just like to hear what their thoughts of our current Blazers progress so far are. I am not trying to bait, I just would like to hear if they now have positive feedback, do they want to go to a game, do they think we finally have good character guys that can play ball, how much more improvement do they see this team making, etc...

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I'm new, but I'll step up to the plate. I have been very anti-Nash. I've bashed him for the last two years. (I still think his trading abilities are weak and have no confidence that he pull off a big name trade.) Part of the bashing was my challenge to the claims that Nash has been advertised as a great evaluator of young talent and thus is good at drafting. I thought Telfair was a mistake and stated that Nash can't even admit his mistake by drafting another top notch point guard this year but instead putting all his point guard eggs into the Telfair basket. (So far I am wrong on that one on multiple levels)

So for all those Nash supportors, I'm here to say my constant bashing of Nash I enjoyed the last two years has taken a turn this year, and maybe he isn't as bad as I thought. Believe it or not, bashers who are true fans, don't mind being wrong. . . we just hate to admit it.

Also, I reserve the right to continue to bash Nash if the young talent doesn't reach the potential and this team is a lottery team for years to come.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
dont worry kiss darius....nash still will be fired this summer unless we make the playoffs or come damn close.

I think we will go in a new direction now that some pieces SEEM to be in place. With tah said, SO FAR AND I STRESS THAT 6 games in....NASH has done OK but I think its more Nate being a coach rtaher then nash getting players, considering we have no SG at all and no backup to zach which we badly needed last night vs the bUlls!

Had we had a legit 2 guard and a backup PF in teh last 3 games....they would have been 10-15 point wins instead of nailbiters!

Nash needs to make abig time trade that bebefits this franchise IMO for him to stay while teh young guys improve.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
mixum said:
dont worry kiss darius....nash still will be fired this summer unless we make the playoffs or come damn close.
how do you figure? no one on the team has said they think they should be competing for the playoffs, so what good would firing him do, if they don't make the playoffs?

I think we will go in a new direction now that some pieces SEEM to be in place. With tah said, SO FAR AND I STRESS THAT 6 games in....NASH has done OK but I think its more Nate being a coach rtaher then nash getting players, considering we have no SG at all and no backup to zach which we badly needed last night vs the bUlls!

Had we had a legit 2 guard and a backup PF in teh last 3 games....they would have been 10-15 point wins instead of nailbiters!

Nash needs to make abig time trade that bebefits this franchise IMO for him to stay while teh young guys improve.
if they can get one, good. But it all depends on who they "can" get, and what it would cost them.

But to say that he'll be fired if they don't make the playoffs (when on one in the team has said that they expect to) is laughable. At best.

Not only that, but replacing him with a new GM (who knows who it'd be) doesn't mean that A: they'll change the MO of the team and B: they'll be any better.

Say they replace the GM with a new guy..who's to say he doesn't want to have a team built all by himself? How about we actually wait till the end of the season and see how the team progressed (or didn't) before we start making outlandish statements like he'll be fired if they don't make the playoffs. If they're basing his continuing employment with the team on that, they're setting themselves up for another change, which could in theory, put them back a couple years.

What happens if the team wins 35+ games this year, but doesn't make the playoffs. Does he get fired because of that unrealistic standard, and not get rewarded for putting a team on the floor (including the coach) who exceeded most peoples expectations? Seems to me, you don't fire a guy in his first real year of having a team he built (well, 13 of the 15 positions).

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Hap said:
how do you figure? no one on the team has said they think they should be competing for the playoffs, so what good would firing him do, if they don't make the playoffs?

if they can get one, good. But it all depends on who they "can" get, and what it would cost them.

But to say that he'll be fired if they don't make the playoffs (when on one in the team has said that they expect to) is laughable. At best.

Well how about the fact that since Nash has been the GM, the Blazers haven't made the playoffs. How long are you willing to give Nash and what does it say about Nash if no one thinks we will be close to the playoffs for years? I got to go with Ed's theory on this . . . Nash builds up low expectations (even though the low expectations are a roster that he developed?) so no one questions bad results.

It's tough seeing a team you love be in the playoffs for 20+ years, having Nash come on board, then becoming a lottery team every year. Personally, I expect more . . .

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I don't see anyone missing here, maybe just wishful thinking on your part.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
HAP i see what you are sayong but IMO...Nate is the reason w compete not nash. If cheeks coached this team...we are talking about being 1-5 at best. The talent level is average...nate makes this team better.

In all honesty if a guy like Petrie is there this summer or another quality GM...Nash is as good as gone and I will bet the house i dont own on that. (good wheels quote)

Nash destroys team and gets young talent w/ potential like hes done here. The Blazers still should get a top 8 pick unless we keep playing at this level which is possible assuming we have no injurys.

my point is........ anyone GM can make a quality pick with a top 8 draft choice. We need to get a star player and nash isnt that type of GM...thats why he will be let go. Im also sure nash gets a job somewhere else like SAc or Dallas when its time to blow up those teams. Bottom line is, when a franchise hires NAsh....you better prepared for alot of losing. :angel:

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Kiss_My_Darius said:
Well how about the fact that since Nash has been the GM, the Blazers haven't made the playoffs. How long are you willing to give Nash and what does it say about Nash if no one thinks we will be close to the playoffs for years? I got to go with Ed's theory on this . . . Nash builds up low expectations (even though the low expectations are a roster that he developed?) so no one questions bad results.

It's tough seeing a team you love be in the playoffs for 20+ years, having Nash come on board, then becoming a lottery team every year. Personally, I expect more . . .
for starters, it was paul allen who OK'd the moves that Nash made, Secondly, he was told to do certain things, and he did. Thirdly, this is still the first year that he's had a team that he built the majority of the players play on the court.

I didn't say we shouldn't be close to the playoffs for years, only clueless people say that. We just need to give him a little more time to have a team he built (and picked the coach) before we start *****ing about stuff.

and maybe stop bringing up the past, because the past caused a fair amount of this.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
mixum said:
HAP i see what you are sayong but IMO...Nate is the reason w ecopete not nash. If cheeks coached thsi etam...we are talking about being 1-5 at best. The talent level is average...nate makes this team better.
and who hired Nate?

In all honesty if a guy like Petrie is there this summer or another quality GM...Nash is as good as gone and I will bet the house i dont own on that. (good wheels quote)

Nash destroys team and gets young talent w/ potential like hes done here. The Blazers still should get a top 8 pick unless we keep playing at this level which is possible assuming we have no injurys.

my point is anyone GM can make a quality pick with a top 8 drfat choice. We need to get a star player and nash isnt taht type of GM...athst why he wil be let go. Im also sure nash gets a job somewhere else like SAc or Dallas when its time to blow up those teams. Bottom line is, when a franchise hires NAsh....you better prepared for alot of losing. :angel:
any GM can make a quality pick? have you even paid attention to the last 20 years of picks?

there are tons of picks that "quality GM's" screwed up on.

do not confuse short sighted owners and fans with a "bottom line". If we were to fire Nash now (or at the end of the season), you aren't allowed anything to grow into what it might be.

It's just short sighted. Thats not to say we "allow" this to happen over 2 or 3 years, but you realize that 1 year isn't enough to make a judgement on his time here.

What happens if Telfair and Webster actually turn out to be real promising at the end of the year? say Webster is starting, and averaging close to double digits, and Telfair shows that he was well worth the 13th pick? Do we just junk Nash because we haven't made the playoffs the last 2 years (and this one)?

it's counter productive to give up before you give something a chance.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Hap said:
for starters, it was paul allen who OK'd the moves that Nash made, Secondly, he was told to do certain things, and he did. Thirdly, this is still the first year that he's had a team that he built the majority of the players play on the court.

I didn't say we shouldn't be close to the playoffs for years, only clueless people say that. We just need to give him a little more time to have a team he built (and picked the coach) before we start *****ing about stuff.

and maybe stop bringing up the past, because the past caused a fair amount of this.

So what are you saying, fire Allen or that it doesn't matter who the GM is becuase Allen approves everything?????

Maybe you are willing to give him a little more time (few more years?) but three years of missing the playoffs is more time than I'm willing to wait before I jump on the get a new GM bandwagon.

I could turn a blind eye to the past so as not to "cause a fair amount of this" but I prefer to open my eyes to everything.

Why did it take Nash three years to get his players on the floor. If I recall, Whitsett turned an old declining squad around without missing the playoffs . . . there I go bringing up the past again. : )

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
All teams have needs. To point to Portlands as a failing on the GM's behalf is to point ot justa bout any GM as a failure.

Do we have a legitimate Shooting Guard? Yes we do.
Do we have a good shooter? Yes we do.

Only problem is he is young, and actually Nate is doing a pretty good job getting him PT in times of the game that won't hurt the team.

I think that a legit backup PF is in fact our biggest need. I think Signing Dixon in the end will be fine. Signing Smith...ehhh...Not sure yet. Siging Blake was a waste unless they deal one of Jack or Telfair.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Kiss_My_Darius said:
So what are you saying, fire Allen or that it doesn't matter who the GM is becuase Allen approves everything?????
not sure why you decided go go there..

Maybe you are willing to give him a little more time (few more years?) but three years of missing the playoffs is more time than I'm willing to wait before I jump on the get a new GM bandwagon.
if you change the GM contantly, what does that do? means you change plans constantly.

constant change does not always = improvement.

Look at the Bulls, they made a change a year into their "rebuild", and it wasn't until what, 5-6 years later they finally showed any improvement?

Had they stayed with some of the original guys after the 98 season, it might not have taken so long to be as good.
I could turn a blind eye to the past so as not to "cause a fair amount of this" but I prefer to open my eyes to everything.
apparently not realizing that it takes time to know if this team will be good or not..and that changing the GM might make the team "blow up" again, and make them even further behind the learning curve.

outside of that, you "open your eyes" to everything
Why did it take Nash three years to get his players on the floor. If I recall, Whitsett turned an old declining squad around without missing the playoffs . . . there I go bringing up the past again. : )

Whisitt also had a better base to begin with than Nash did. TB also had an owner willing to grossly over spend on players, Nash doesn't. TB also dealt with a different era in the NBA (trade wise, esp)..Nash doesn't. TB also was given a longer time to come to his vision than Nash has been.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Personally I'm pleased with the entire Blazers crew. Patterson, Nash, Nate and the players they have selected. While at times we might question a movement by the upper management, in the end I just don't really know what actually is happening. I as a regular fan have very limited information other then what is passed around in rumors, speculation and from the news media. I don't sit in the Blazer brass meetings, any of their Draft powwows, and I don't hang out in the locker rooms.

But what the current group has done is taken a team of big headed missfits who were more trouble off the court then on and turned the team into a young and exciting team. Did we sacrifice wins? Yup. But I've been more excited about this team then at nearly any time since the end of the golden years of Drexler and Porter. If I lived a little further north I would have bought season tickets and be attending every game. These are blazers I can support. This is a team I enjoy. Yea they make mistakes, Yea they are young. But Damn if I don't like them and am excited every time they exceed my expectations. (which is alot)

So keep Nash, Keep Patterson, praise Nate and root for the players. it's all good.

BTW: if your season is supposed to suck from day one. Doesn't that mean your at the bottom and pretty much everything is positive from there up?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts