Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, i know we have to get rid of either Etan or Haywood, but i just dont know about getting rid of haywood. I mean this guy has been pretty consistent over this season, and he always gives us some blocked shots. i saw one guy on this forum say haywood gives us height that can handle big guys like ming. and u know hes gonna make half his shots, since actually statistically half his shots are dunks. I dont think haywood's the future of the team, nor a future starter, but i do think he can contribute from the bench and we can make a good trade for a pretty good big man, or if we bomb this season, pick a good one in the draft. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Throw away Etan, we need Haywood.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Haywood has shown explosiveness, but like the old Kwame, he doesn't have consistency.

I would just like to see how they end up at the end of the year.

Then I'll decide.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Haywood still has a way to go in terms of being consistent in order to convince everyone, but he's getting there. Here's his numbers over the past seven games, excluding one where he only got 7 minutes for some reason I don't rememer. He got between 19 and 31 in the rest, for the most part in the lower end of that spectrum:

MPG: 24.8
PPG: 11.3
RPG: 7.2
BPG: 2.0
FG%: 51.1 (4.0 for 7.8 per game)
FT%: 71.4 (3.3 for 4.6 per game)

Okay, so it'll take more than a solid six out of seven games to anoint him the center of our future. However, those numbers are pretty darn decent by today's NBA standard at center. Heck, Jamal Maglorie got into the all-star game with season averages of 11.9/9.4/1.2 BPG/46.3% FG/70.4% FT in 33 MPG.

Keep Haywood, start him at center every game for the rest of the year, give him 24 MPG, and see what he does for us. He's only in his third year, and he has never gotten any benefit of the doubt from anyone it has seemed. He's done enough over the past couple of weeks that I'm willing to give it to him for the rest of the season. There's no real risk involved, and with the possible reward being one of the better legit centers in the league (which he would be with numbers like those above with a bit more rebounding), it's something I hope the team pays attention to.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!
Haywood still has a way to go in terms of being consistent in order to convince everyone, but he's getting there. Here's his numbers over the past seven games, excluding one where he only got 7 minutes for some reason I don't rememer. He got between 19 and 31 in the rest, for the most part in the lower end of that spectrum:

MPG: 24.8
PPG: 11.3
RPG: 7.2
BPG: 2.0
FG%: 51.1 (4.0 for 7.8 per game)
FT%: 71.4 (3.3 for 4.6 per game)

Okay, so it'll take more than a solid six out of seven games to anoint him the center of our future. However, those numbers are pretty darn decent by today's NBA standard at center. Heck, Jamal Maglorie got into the all-star game with season averages of 11.9/9.4/1.2 BPG/46.3% FG/70.4% FT in 33 MPG.

Keep Haywood, start him at center every game for the rest of the year, give him 24 MPG, and see what he does for us. He's only in his third year, and he has never gotten any benefit of the doubt from anyone it has seemed. He's done enough over the past couple of weeks that I'm willing to give it to him for the rest of the season. There's no real risk involved, and with the possible reward being one of the better legit centers in the league (which he would be with numbers like those above with a bit more rebounding), it's something I hope the team pays attention to.
Those aren't shabby numbers at all. Nothing too spectacular but surely is decent 'nuff to deserve the starting C spot on an Eastern Conference team.

I agree with ya, MJG. Stick with Haywood for the rest of this season at least. Not much harm in doing so from what I see.

If it's really a must to part ways with either Etan or Haywood, Etan should be the one that leaves and not Haywood. For now, stick with Haywood and he might just turn out fine, and turn out to be one of the "better legit centers in the league".

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I would rather have Haywood than Etan. They are both black holes but Haywood is just as good as a weak side defender and MUCH better on the ball. Haywood will give the other team problems. Etan doesn't really put up much of a fight on the ball, and he just hasn't done much since his original insertion into the starting lineup oh so long ago.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Haywood is more easy to be traded... Grizzlies can take him

1 - 9 of 9 Posts