Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fact Gary Payton is determined to play through a back problem despite not having a contract for next year begs a major question in these sporting times: Is he being courageous or is he being nuts?

``I'm just being me,'' Payton said yesterday.

So then it's a little bit of both.

Payton and the Celtics got very good news late Monday when an MRI showed no further issues with a herniated disc that has bothered the point guard for more than 10 years. But even before he was aware of the injury's extent, Payton was still set on playing through the problem - even if it jeopardized his chance at a final career contract.

``I don't care about no contract next year and all that stuff,'' he said. ``I'm just playing the way I play. I don't take days off.

``My daddy raised me that if you're leg ain't broken, play. If you can play through it and don't hurt nobody, then it's good. That's the way I play. I like to play basketball. I can't sit down.''
http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=75652

·
Registered
610 Posts
I give Payton props for his couragous moves as of late.
Only sad thing that's been going around.
NBATV says, Doc may sit Payton down for the remainder of the season.

PdP

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Is it 4 sure GP wont be back next season or sumn? I wanna resign him 4 maybe a year n have him be around...It wouldnt be a good idea 2 sit him out tha remainder of tha season jus give him tha amount of tymes tha rookies get n have him lead them on tha court...i think banks or west could definatly handle a starting role 4 tha remainder maybe even tha playoffs....

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
GP knows his body, he's a true vet, he knows if he can play or not. Honestly, we need him in the playoffs....if it comes down to sitting him a couple games to get him up to speed before the playoffs then we need to do it because we need him at full speed for the playoffs. He is the floor general of this team and in the playoffs his experience will mean A LOT.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
I've been critical of Payton and am so eager to see Banks play, so I'd sit Payton down and let Banks and West handle the show for like a week. We only have 2 games this week anyway....just rest him till Philly. Or better yet, rest him until after Philly. :p

We NEED him for the playoffs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts