Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something that has been on my mind a lot lately, and with it being brought up in the Magic game thread, why not give it a thread of its own? This really is a bit of a pickle, one that most certainly does not have an easy solution. What should our starting frontcourt be when everyone is healthy? And in turn, what should the bench minutes look like behind those starters? Not much reason to discuss the starting backcourt, as that couldn't be more painfully obvious. Of course the backup guard minutes are open for debate I'm sure. Let's look at candidates ...

SF: Jamison, Hayes, Jeffries
PF: Jamison, Kwame, Etan
C: Haywood, Etan

The backup minutes obviously adjust depending on who you think should start, but looking at all possibilities ...

PG: Dixon, Blake
SG: Dixon, Hayes, Profit, Peeler
SF: Jamison, Hayes, Jeffries, Profit, Damone
PF: Jamison, Kwame, Etan, Jeffries, Ruffin
C: Haywood, Etan, Kwame, Ruffin

Yes, it's probably unrealistic to think that Jamison has any shot at not starting, but we're dealing more with people's opinions and the hypothetical here. Also, the above players/positions are more a general guide to give people an idea of what we're dealing with; if I missed something or you have some wacky idea not presented, definitely share. I'll be back soon with my own thoughts.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I would like to see Jamison starting at SF spot, but as much I have heard it isn't working well.
I belive Jeffries suck too much to start and Jamison isn't real post player.
Can anyone explain Wizard's chemistry problems?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Banjoriddim said:
I would like to see Jamison starting at SF spot, but as much I have heard it isn't working well.
I belive Jeffries suck too much to start and Jamison isn't real post player.
Can anyone explain Wizard's chemistry problems?

A lot of people think that Jamison is better suited for PF. He hasn't played a lot of SF this year though because Kwame and him have been healthy at the same time for only a few games. So i don't think we really know if he shouldn't play SF, but he did pretty well playing PF this year... He just couldn't defend anyone. I'm not sure if he can defend anyone, even SF, though...

So we really don't know yet... though some people act like they do... :D

·
do better
41,522 Posts
I don't think Jamisons is suited to play at the 3. I don't think his perimeter game is that good, and he's not a good defender anyway. It's not like he's going to go out and guard Paul Pierce any better than Antoine Walker. He's simply not a good defender. I think if you want to look at it as far as choosing from these healthy frontcourt players, it looks like this to me:

C: Haywood/Thomas/Brown
PF: Jamison/Brown/Thomas
SF: Jeffries/Hayes

But what I would look to this offseason is trying to turn that logjam of average forwards into one starting small forward. There's going to be problems at the 4 on defense, but IMO, putting Jamison at the 3 doesn't make him any better a defender. Basically I think the rotation that had been worked the few games everyone was healthy is the way to go.

·
Registered
726 Posts
C: Haywood/Thomas/Kwame Brown/Ramos
PF: Jamison/Kwame Brown/Thomas/Ruffin
SF: Jeffries/Profit/Hayes/Damone Brown
SG: Hughes/Dixon/Hayes/Peeler/Profit
PG: Arenas/Blake/Peeler/Dixon

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
C: Haywood, Etan, Kwame, Ramos
PF:Kwame, Etan, Jeffries, Ruffin
SF: Jamison, Hayes, Jeffries, Profit
SG: Hughes, Dixon, Hayes, Peeler, Profit
PG: Arenas, Blake, Dixon

Jamison's scoring will probably go down since Haywood has emerged as a good post player so the ball will go down to him or Kwame. Jamison's post play has decreased to just about nothing since the beginning of the year.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While some of these can be put into effect right now, for the most part these ideas would have to wait until next season to take effect. Guys like Hayes and Jamison aren't around for us to experiment with right now, and even if they were I'm not sure we'd want to, not with some two weeks or so left in the season.

No
* JJ starting, until he can play with some consistency and start cutting down on the half dozen dummy plays he seems to have every game. Whether he starts or not though, he should be playing in the 22-24 MPG range. I really would like to see start him in all honesty, but I won't force it until he gets his head screwed on straight.

* Arenas and Hughes out of the game at the same time. Come on EJ, one plays 41 minutes and the other 39, there's no reason beyond injuries or serious foul trouble that should have both on the bench at the same time.

* Blake getting any minutes, period. No bones about it, the guy sucks. He's become a poor man's Juan Dixon. Blake should be the last guard option on the team.

Yes
* Dixon getting backup guard minutes. On average, Hughes and Arenas take up about 80 of the 96 minutes available in the backcourt, minus a few for when we do the small lineups with Hughes at SF. I give Dixon all of those minutes that are left over after the starters.

* Give minutes to those that are helping us, not those with the name value. Specifically, I have no interest in seeing a Hayes or a JJ getting big minutes when they are playing poorly, while a Damone or a Profit fight for scraps yet are generally effective. It's okay for the name guys to get the first opportunity, but if Hayes is 1-6 in 10 minutes, yank him and give one of the small-timers a chance.

* Kwame starting at PF. To use something that jazzy mentions from time to time, Kwame is not in any way an energy guy; bench players that you prefer to be more than placeholders to get the starters some rest generally need to be energy guys. I see two options with Kwame -- start him or make him a placeholder. He won't work coming off the bench for 28 MPG. My choice is to start him.

Maybe
* Jamison off the bench, with minutes in the 34-35 range as opposed to the 39 he's getting this season. When the trade went down, we were hoping for the Jamison of last year, and we did not get it. I don't know if he'd be as willing to come off the bench for us as he was with the Mavs, but I'd like to see it at least tried. This allows him to get his minutes at both forward spots instead of primarily one of them, and will give us some kind of consistency off the bench, which we could desperately use.

* Hayes starting at SF. It's no secret that Hayes played a much more solid game during his 20ish starts this year than his 30ish bench performances. His base numbers didn't look that much better, but his shooting percentages were through-the-roof improved. Something like 46% FG and 40% 3P as a starter, 36% FG and 32% 3P as a bench player. I don't know why that is, but I certainly would like to take advantage of it.

<hr>
So with that said, my little experiment with the roster would look something like ...

PG: Arenas (40), Dixon (8)
SG: Hughes (38), Dixon (10)
SF: Hayes (24), Jamison (18), JJ (6)
PF: Kwame (26), Jamison (16), JJ (6)
C: Haywood (28), Etan (20)

I know, not perfectly in line with all of my above comments. JJ has half of the minutes I mentioned, and guys like Profit and Damone are nowhere to be found. These aren't all hard rules, nor is the minute distribution up there set in stone. The forward spots would likely see a lot of shifting around from night to night. I'd have no trouble giving Hayes 10 minutes if he's stinking it up, or Jamison 44 if he's tearing it up, or anything in between.

Heh I know it is quite different from what we've seen this year, and there's definitely a chance that it just would not work for one reason or another. That's a big reason why I first said it'd be more something to try next year, as opposed to throwing it out there in the last month of this one (assuming it were possible). If after 2-3 weeks it looked like things were just completely out of whack, it'd be simple to try something else.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
To me this would be a no brainer. It would be Jamison at 3, Kwame, at 4 and Thomas at 5.

Why it takes the pounding away from jamison which he says was really affecting him. It gives us our most physical line-up with Kwame and Etan downlow and it allows JJ to be the energy sub, the change of pace full court pressure guy off the bench.

Kwame is not an energy guy so you wouldn't get a change in pace of the game . The only way in that set up it would work you'd have to pump him the ball.

Otherwise let JJ and the younger guys create the energy off the bench.

I think that would give us our best chance to win.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
jazzy1 said:
To me this would be a no brainer. It would be Jamison at 3, Kwame, at 4 and Thomas at 5.

Why it takes the pounding away from jamison which he says was really affecting him. It gives us our most physical line-up with Kwame and Etan downlow and it allows JJ to be the energy sub, the change of pace full court pressure guy off the bench.

Kwame is not an energy guy so you wouldn't get a change in pace of the game . The only way in that set up it would work you'd have to pump him the ball.

Otherwise let JJ and the younger guys create the energy off the bench.

I think that would give us our best chance to win.
I think Jamison/Kwame/Etan is indeed our best frontcourt combination. Haywood is better than Etan, but I'm not sure if Wood fits with Kwame and Jamison. The team seems slow on defense with that lineup, and if Kwame isn't hitting the jumper teams can just pack it in on Arenas/Hughes. Offensively, it's our best lineup. You can give the ball to Etan/Kwame in the post several times a game, and Arenas/Hughes can do their thing and if Jamison just hits a decent percentage of his shots it will make for a nice O.
Defensively, it's hard to be a good defensive team with Jamison and Eddie Jordan's defensive schemes, but I think we'd be alright.

It seems like a moot point though, I think EJ will stupidly end up going with JJ/Jamison/Etan, basically a frontcourt thats too small to be tough.

Ok, I admit, I'm happy with any lineup where Jared isn't starting. I can't stand the guy, I'm sick of Scott Jackson calling the guy the teams best defender and a good player. All he does is run around the court on defense and leave shooters open. We don't need a free safety we just need to play man to man. I honestly thinK Damone Brown is better than Jared and Jarvis.

And I echo the thoughts of Blake not getting any minutes. This guy continues to get tons of minutes while playing at an NBDL level. It is RIDICULAS to have Blake/Dixon in the game at the same time for long stretches, just keep Gil or Larry in EJ you doofus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts