Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sources: Suffers irregular heartbeat during warm-ups

CHARLOTTE -- Bulls center Eddy Curry missed Wednesday's game against the Bobcats after experiencing an irregular heartbeat during warm-ups, according to team sources.

The box score listed "flu-like symptoms" as the reason for Curry's absence. But shortly after the Bulls' 102-99 victory, Curry walked into the visitors' locker room while still wearing his uniform.

Sources said Curry spent the game having tests performed and hooked up to a heart monitor. Test results weren't revealed, but one team source said Curry has experienced this situation before and the team doesn't believe it to be serious.

Curry, 22, sat in the locker room after the game in street clothes and answered questions only about the flu-like symptoms.

"Right before the game, I felt some light-headedness and dizziness," Curry said. "It came out of nowhere, so it really kind of scared me a little bit."

Those symptoms also are consistent with an irregular heartbeat.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-050330bullscurryailment,1,2107943.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
Let's hope Mr. Ed is okay. My sister has a congenital heart condition (mitral valve pro-lapse) that had her in pretty bad shape for a year as doctors kept calling it mono. Once she was properly diagnosed she's been able to overcome it with diet and exercise. In her case, being properly diagnosed was essential to recovering. Some other cases, though, are less easy to overcome, and become life-long health issues. Let's hope that Big Eddy's is of the former variety.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
FreeSpeech101 said:
Worst news of the year. We can only hope for the best for Eddy, but you don't mess around with a heart problem.
Well put.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
First thing I hope Big Ed will be OK. Only then I'd say I hope it ain't the beginning of the end for his career. Doctors usually do not take risk with Heart problems and although it was writen as 'Not serious' I see any heart irregularity as serious.

But seriously , team aside , gotta hope for him it will really turnout under the category of not serious , or at least not life threatening while doing intense sports.

My father , who is 72 Y/O , has been living with heart inconsistent rate for a long time (no operation needed so far) , But he ain't a proffesional athlete , so it might take time till Doctors let him play again.

After seeing 3 guys collapse on the soccer field this one is truely scary.

I was pissed at Eddy yesterday about the 'Flu symptoms' , said he might be spoiled , and I take it all back and cross my fingers for the big guy.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
I hope he's going to be OK, of course.

But it's also really inconvenient for him to have these problems during his contract year. There's a lot of implications to this, as you can begin to imagine.

The good news is that if he's put away a good part of his salaries over the past 4 years, he surely doesn't have to work another day the rest of his life, or play another game.

His health should come first.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I think you guys might be blowing this out of proportion. There are multiple causes to an irregular heartbeat that don't necessarily include heart disease. If the team has known about these before and "doesn't believe it to be serious" as stated in the article, then this could just be something that's anxiety related.

I doubt they would keep letting him play if he had a serious heart condition.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
That sounds scary, I hope he's alright.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Frankensteiner said:
I think you guys might be blowing this out of proportion. There are multiple causes to an irregular heartbeat that don't necessarily include heart disease. If the team has known about these before and "doesn't believe it to be serious" as stated in the article, then this could just be something that's anxiety related.

I'd tend to agree. From the tone of the article, it seems like both the team and Curry know about this particular issue. If I read it correctly, this isn't the first time he's experienced the symptoms that he experienced last night. The team, Curry and his doctors are rightly taking a very conservative and cautious approach. Without knowing any details, this might be less of a concern than, say, Chandlers back. Hard to know.

I hope that Curry takes whatever precautions he needs to and gets every opinion that is available to him. You don't mess with heart problems. I pray it's not serious and that it's more of an anomoly than a congenital issue.

When I saw the title of the article on the Tribs website, I thought is was going to be an article ripping Curry for missing an important game because he had the sniffles.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
Frankensteiner said:

Definitely. You can be certain the Bulls ruled out any structural issues the last time Eddy went through this.

However, you don't want to be cavalier about an electrical problem, either (mainly because over time they CAN cause structural damage if not treated). Unless Eddy's had a very recent work-up, and these symptoms exactly mirror what he had the last time, and they got him on a monitor while he was still having the problem and can confirm his EKG, I would be pretty shocked if he doesn't miss a game or two so they can get him on a Holter and make sure this is the same thing he's had all along.

Best wishes to the big fella.

·
Registered
741 Posts
From http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml today:

"Chicago Bulls fourth-year center Eddy Curry did not accompany the team on the flight back to Chicago this morning. Instead, Curry, 22, remained in Charlotte, N.C. for observation and treatment for an irregular heartbeat. The 6-11, 285-pound Curry has appeared in 60 games for the Bulls this season, including 60 starts, and is averaging a team-high 16.1 ppg, 5.4 rpg and 28.7 mpg, while shooting .538 from the floor."

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
onetwo88 said:

"Chicago Bulls fourth-year center Eddy Curry did not accompany the team on the flight back to Chicago this morning. Instead, Curry, 22, remained in Charlotte, N.C. for observation and treatment for an irregular heartbeat. The 6-11, 285-pound Curry has appeared in 60 games for the Bulls this season, including 60 starts, and is averaging a team-high 16.1 ppg, 5.4 rpg and 28.7 mpg, while shooting .538 from the floor."
wow. i hope he's ok. godspeed, eddy!

however, this doesn't bode well for tonight.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Frankensteiner said:

I sure hope you are right.

I can tell you about a case that happenned in Israel few years ago when a pro Soccer player with a heart irregularity . Doctors and team knew about it , checked him seriously (by some of the best heart Doctors in the world), and let him play saying it ain't serious. 2 years later he collapsed during A game , and although the field Doctors mannaged to save his life he's been laying in Hospital since as a Veg (already for a few years).

Bottomline is - even apparent 'unserious' heart problems might take a bad turn without any Doctor in the world able to project it.

I hope you are correct and this is not the case , but you cannot be certain.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
onetwo88 said:

They just announced the same thing on The Score.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Doesn't it seem as though it may be more serious than originally reported if he didn't make the trip home?

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Mr. T said:
Doesn't it seem as though it may be more serious than originally reported if he didn't make the trip home?
No, the Bobcats are our next game after this Cavs one. So Eddy is just going to stay in the hotel, and maybe get some treatment ready for the Bobcats game. This way Eddy doesn't have to take the flight there and back and rather can rest and freshen up. Lets hope we can break out of our ways with Eddy out, I think this is the main reason why Kirk said he was playing no matter what because no way the Bulls beat a team without him and Eddy out.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
But the next Bobcats game is in Chicago, Sloth.

This seems bad....my fingers are crossed for ya, Eddy.

Wow.

:(

1 - 20 of 76 Posts