Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These two guys are holding the Heat back, as long as they're in the team the Heat will be in the same position they're in right now. They'll continue to be contenders for the 8th spot with no real chance of advancing in the playoffs. Ideally they would get rid of Eddie Jones (who I really dislike due to his reluctance to penetrate consistently, take hard contact and get to the line or take the big shots) but with his contract he's practically untradeable. Brian Grant might have a little more value in the market and as much as I like his hustle and defense down low he's just making two much money. In order to get over the top and be REAL contenders they'll have to dump one or both of these guys. I personally would be willing to sacrifice this season for the chance of going far into the playoffs for years to come. Thoughts?

·
Registered
462 Posts
For the past 2 years this board has been filled with ways to get rid of Jones and Grant. However, it's impossible to get a fair trade with these two, in all possible trades, the Heat are giving up too much or Team x is giving up too much.

The fact remains that neither Grant nor Jones combined can be enough to get a true big man. So why give up an okay big man and a still good shooter for something that doesnt achieve one of the team's goals.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
grant to the wolves for kandi and fillers
jones to the bobcats unprotected.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
they need a defensive hustler... but his contract is a concern.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So why give up an okay big man and a still good shooter for something that doesnt achieve one of the team's goals.
Depending on what the team goal is. If the goal is to get equal talent then a trade isn't going to work but if the goal is to get rid of these big contracts at the expense of the rest of the seson then a trade is a good idea. Get'em out of here!!!

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Originally posted by <b>erniejohnson</b>!
In order to get over the top and be REAL contenders they'll have to dump one or both of these guys.
a LOT easier said than done....no team will just take them from us

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I think the Bobcats should take Jones. They wont be contending for a while anyways, so you might as well get a very good vet that people can learn from.

·
Heat fan since 2001
7,145 Posts
as much as i like Jones shooting i think we need to trade him for a lesser contract
But who would take EJ?

As for Grant i think Dallas still is interested in him.
Maybe we can get an expiring contract for Grant.

Grant and Jones would do wonders in a contending team.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
miami trades grant to dallas
dallas trades jamison to utah
utah trades ostertag + filler to miami

utah can also include a second round pick to dallas.

ostertag is an expiring contract, and he can be a serviceable center while grant is gone.

we get 15M of cap space, enough to get kobe or swift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts