Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Were either Butler or VCU helped by the A-10 with their exit fees from their former leagues or admission fee to the A-10? The A-10 would have had money via exit fees from Temple and Charlotte. I could see the league possibly helping new members making a switch. If so, what happens if one of these teams were to leave? I would hope the league built in precaustions that protected it should any of these team leave within a specified period of time. I would want to see any school that did not stay for a minimum of say five years be required to reimburse the league any money that it received to help defray exit and admission fees. If a team came and went within five years, it doesn't deserve anything from the league.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

·
Banned
335 Posts
Butler is #2 and VCU is #23 in RPI on December 20th (1 and 2 in the A-10). Even if there was assistance (I don't believe that is the case) with the nominal exit fees, consider them earned.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Butler is #2 and VCU is #23 in RPI on December 20th (1 and 2 in the A-10). Even if there was assistance (I don't believe that is the case) with the nominal exit fees, consider them earned.
You're joking, right? Nice win over IU, but we get those in the A10 every year from somebody. Even LaSalle was boasting of a number 1 RPI ranking, in December, not long ago. I don't think there was any assistance either, but if there were, it would not be paid back based on a couple of early wins, however nice they were. You're in a major conference now, you want to pay us back, a couple of wins in March would be great. And Butler obviously is more than capable.

·
Banned
335 Posts
I'm not sure if you are serious. I can tell you right now with 100% certainty the university would not pay a penny that was not specifically written into a contract.

Good luck with that

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My initial post is directed mostly to Butler since they may be most likely to leave under this scenario. I myself would very much have a problem if it had been helped with exit fees and or admission fees and then were to turn around within months and declare its intentions to jump conferences once again and stiff the A-10. It is my hope that the league adminsitrators would have made stipulations accounting for such an action so that any financial assistance was required to be paid back if terms were not met. I don't care how such a team performed in its short stay. That point would be moot. I would doubt any agreement would ever have had language that specified any damages were null and void if you were to beat #1 Indiana.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
The exit fees Charlotte and Temple paid were probably very very low.
1 million if you give full notice and 2 million to leave early. That is why Temple is playing basketball here this year.

I'm not sure what the Horizon Leagues exit fees are, but I am sure they are not as high as the A10. It might be as low as a bucket of balls.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts