Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about Jalen Rose and I don't trust sports writers articles and such. I'd rather ask you guys.

1. - Has he ever played shooting guard in his NBA career? I'm pretty sure he was a back-up point in Denver and SF in Indiana. Did he originally back-up Reggie at SG? Or will this be his first time at that position?

2. It's constantly brought up that he "doesn't want to help young guys develop." Where does this come from? Is it because of Jamaal Tinsley? Are there other examples? Why does he have this reputation? (To me it seems he simply doesn't want to be benched for the entire 4th quarter.)

3. Where did his problems with Larry Brown stem from?

I guess that's it.

I want to add that I think it was a smart move to make Jalen the lone captain of the team. In the past Fred Hoiberg has been a co-captain (injured list for the Mayor anyone) but it says a lot that they want a perceived "malcontent" to be the captain and that they trust him.

Thanks for any input you can give. BTW - I'm only asking because I'm bored/curious. I'm not doing a report on "who I admire most and why" or anything. :D

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Lizzy</b>!
I have a few questions about Jalen Rose and I don't trust sports writers articles and such. I'd rather ask you guys.

1. - Has he ever played shooting guard in his NBA career? I'm pretty sure he was a back-up point in Denver and SF in Indiana. Did he originally back-up Reggie at SG? Or will this be his first time at that position?
Jalen has swung between all 3 positions during his career. It's hard to say, because as far as i saw, many times last year he played "SG" with Hassell as the "SF" But within the Bulls O... PG/SG/SF are pretty blurry position wise.

I know that's no help at all. :D
Your welcome! :)

Originally posted by <b>Lizzy</b>!
2. It's constantly brought up that he "doesn't want to help young guys develop." Where does this come from? Is it because of Jamaal Tinsley? Are there other examples? Why does he have this reputation? (To me it seems he simply doesn't want to be benched for the entire 4th quarter.)
I don't know where that rap came from. Before Isiah was the coach, there didn't seem to be a problem. When he was leading the Pacers to the NBA finals... I can't recall anything.

Bottom line... I think the "not helping the young guys" is a bad rap. Jermaine, Bender, Harrington... He helped all those guys out, they credited him as such.

I think that all stemmed from Isiah & his ego.
God he's an awful coach.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I can guess number 3 is because he doesn't want to commit to playing defense.

I am sure he has played SG in the past, if not officially listed as one, i can guarantee he has seen time in that spot during a game.

His reputation is one of being lazy to be honest. It took him a while to get his momentum going in the league for whatever reason. According to Vecsey, take it for whatever that might be worth, Bird knew his tendancies were more to self rather than team, but let him have his way becuase he was a short timer.

Jalen was upset last year because Tinsley became the playmaker for the team. Jalen had no chance to supplant Reggie as the go to guy in the fourth so his fourth quarter role would have been to play defense. Harrington was that guy until he went down with injury. The Indiana coaches obviously felt Jalen had no use to them, and traded him for a defensive SF and a C.

Who knows what is true. That is just what I have heard and I am sure many others will refute some or all of it. I just think it took Jalen a while to get accustomed to the NBA. He had a breakout year with Indiana under Bird and was chafed that Thomas tried to change his role, when he had finally shown success. He has been overshadowed by comments made about him by former coaches, but it looks like the buck stops with the Bulls, where he will most likely have a decently long term stay.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BCH - That makes sense. I wasn't looking for a Rosey (pun totally intended) overview that was all pro-Jalen. I really wanted to know and had to assume that much of it would be considered his fault.

Jim Ian - Isiah is a bad coach. This year we should be able to confirm that. If he can't take this team places then he's plain awful!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
1. He played PG in college, he played PG with the Nuggets, and he played SF with Indiana. He has the versitility to play the 1,2, and 3.
2. I don't know where it came from, but he has handled it well with the Bulls so far.
3. Larry Brown wouldn't play Rose when he was the coach of the Pacers. There were a few reasons why, but the biggest one I believe was his defense. Rose certainly showed him up when Larry Bird took over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts