Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you trade, say, Theo and/or Ruben to a contending team that really needed their services this year even if it meant, say, receiving an injured player that could help us in the long run?

What prompted this thought or notion was when I read that Denver is in real need of a big man while Nene' is, basically, out for the rest of the season.

·
Banned
2,398 Posts
I would be willing to make such a move. The Blazers are not going to contend for the title this year anyway so why not fill some holes where it makes sense?

I think Nene' would give us a good backup PF and we also get Theo off the books. It would also provide more opportunity for some of the young guys to gain playing time.

On the positive side:
* Better long-term positioning for the team
* Possible riddance of a large and probably overpaid contract
* Forces more time for younger guys enabling us to better evaluate them and determine how/if they
fit in the long-term scheme

On the negative side:
* We'll lose even more games

Yeah, I'd do it. Of course, I've already written off this season so I don't see much to lose other than a few more games and possibly thereby gaining a better draft pick.

Gramps...

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
GrandpaBlaze said:
I would be willing to make such a move. The Blazers are not going to contend for the title this year anyway so why not fill some holes where it makes sense?

I think Nene' would give us a good backup PF and we also get Theo off the books. It would also provide more opportunity for some of the young guys to gain playing time.

On the positive side:
* Better long-term positioning for the team
* Possible riddance of a large and probably overpaid contract
* Forces more time for younger guys enabling us to better evaluate them and determine how/if they
fit in the long-term scheme

On the negative side:
* We'll lose even more games

Yeah, I'd do it. Of course, I've already written off this season so I don't see much to lose other than a few more games and possibly thereby gaining a better draft pick.

Gramps...
Also on the negative side: This injury is not going to change how much Nene thinks he's worth when he goes to look for a new contract netx year. If people don't give him the contract he wants, he'll probably sign a qualifying offer and bolt the next year unless you pay. If you're planning on him being your backup PF rather than starting at C, you probably aren't going to pay him what he wants. You'll have him for one year, and you'll be rid of Ratliff's contract...so that alone is a good thing. But the chances of stepping into another long overpaying contract are high if you consider what it will cost to keep Nene.

That said, I think there's zero chance that Denver, or most teams not named New York or Dallas for that matter, take on Ratliff.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I'll do a Patterson for Moochie Norris trade; Waive Moochie (a expiring contract), and trade Theo for Pollard and Bender...

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
It is tempting to do that trade but Nene is gonna want more money next year and he's gonna want starting c money so where would be fit in we already have z-bo krypaha for pf but im sure Nene wants all the playing time,we have Zilla for center that could be the only place he fits in.I wouldn't do this trade because the team would be extremly week at center for the year just Zilla if he gets in foul trouble then the team gets hurt by no other qualified center then Ha he could fit in but i think he would get manhandeled.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Zuca said:
I'll do a Patterson for Moochie Norris trade; Waive Moochie (a expiring contract), and trade Theo for Pollard and Bender...

Ugh.....thanks for the interest, but no thanks.

Patterson for....nothing.

And Theo (who is playin great this year) for next to nothing. Pollard is horrible adn Bender can't stay healthy.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Nen wasn't playing well last year. Was he trying to play through an injury or is he a one hit wonder? Weren't the Nuggets shopping him before the injury?

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I was watching espn and it said before Nene's injury the nuggets were offering him a new contract.If this is true he made a mistake because with his injury no one is gonna want him for a while after its healed he still might not be the same.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
ABM said:
Would you trade, say, Theo and/or Ruben to a contending team that really needed their services this year even if it meant, say, receiving an injured player that could help us in the long run?

What prompted this thought or notion was when I read that Denver is in real need of a big man while Nene' is, basically, out for the rest of the season.
Theo for Nene... and Portland would own the Bird rights to the basketball player formerly known as Hilario, thats what you're asking? Assuming the Blazer docs prognosis is for a full recovery... where do I sign up? IMO that rates as a no brainer.

I'd be shocked if Kiki is thinking along similar lines though... I can imagine that Kiki might be eyeballing Theo, but not at that cost.

STOMP

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
STOMP said:
Theo for Nene... and Portland would own the Bird rights to the basketball player formerly known as Hilario, thats what you're asking? Assuming the Blazer docs prognosis is for a full recovery... where do I sign up? IMO that rates as a no brainer.

I'd be shocked if Kiki is thinking along similar lines though... I can imagine that Kiki might be eyeballing Theo, but not at that cost.

STOMP
No doubt.

As I have said before, Kiki has somewhat painted himself into a corner.

The team would really like to have a youngish, defensive minded, quaility shooting guard to pair with Carmelo. If they could get that they would have a very solid starting five. But, in order to get a guard good enough, they would have to trade one of their other starters (which is just spinning your wheels) OR Nene.

The team would really like to have a solid bigman rotation of Camby, Martin and Nene. 3 quality bigs is very helpful, especially with the injury problems many bigmen have.

Yet, Kiki knows his best chance of nabbing a real good guard that's proven is with Nene. And Kiki knows that Nene wanted to start and wanted too much money, so he might not be able to keep him in Denver anyway.

Kiki will want to either keep Nene to have front line depth OR use him to get the guard he wants and needs. With Carmelo being so young, I doubt he goes for a one or two year rental on an old big (Theo).

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Heck to attain a young 4/5 like Nene, I'd happily add the '06 Detroit pick... or maybe even do a swap of Portland's '06 for their '07 :wink: IMO they're only an injury away from having some ping pong balls in the Odem mix, and the mo the betta

With or without Joel, Nene would be quite a plumb for the Blazer future IMO. Since with or without Nene, Portland will amost assurably be over the cap in the '06 offseason, the ability to resign JP wouldn't be effected.

STOMP

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
STOMP said:

STOMP
Maybe he wants to trade Nene to us so he can jump ship and become our GM at the end of the year. If so, maybe we can arrange a Carmello plus Nene for Theo and Ruben Patterson swap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts