Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/celtics.bg?articleid=283

``I'm not as active as I have been,'' the Celtics director of basketball operations said. ``You never say never, but I'd like to see the group of guys we have right now grow a little and see how things develop.

``I don't know that this is the final team we're looking for, but I think they're very good for where they are at this stage. I like our energy and enthusiasm and the way the team's playing the game.''
Not a bad idea. If these last two games are any indication of what the team will be, we could be in for an extended visit to the playoffs.

I think its a good thing that he's letting this team get together and play. I think we have a pretty solid rotation with Mihm, Blount, Welsch, Pierce, James, Banks, Davis, Hunter, McCarty, and Jones. If we get Baker back in order (it could happen), then we'll be that much better.

Of course, with Mills' contract sitting around, once teams decide to tank it, something nice could pop up for a deal.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>!
Of course, with Mills' contract sitting around, once teams decide to tank it, something nice could pop up for a deal.
That would be nice. Of course, some teams will be desperate before the trading deadline and will be willing to give much more in return. So maybe we can make something happen just before the deadline! Something that is going to help us long term! We have to look ahead, cause we are not going to win it all this year. So I would be OK with sacrificing our playoff run for a deal that would make us better in future years!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I thought this thread meant Ainge was fired. I wuz kinda speechless for a 2nd, then I opened it, I agree, we are starting to play very well, I like it, letZ stay put for a bit and see how it plays out.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
Hmmm.... loooks like he's on the verge of a trade. He wasn't making any calls about Antoine either. Scout's honor.
lol, if he doesn't make one, can we just cut Walter?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Originally posted by <b>aquaitious</b>!

lol, if he doesn't make one, can we just cut Walter?
As I said yesterday, McCarty is a 6-10 version of Dell Curry. He's a useful player. He just can't rebound or score inside.

Quite a few teams could use a player like Walter, particularly at his salary. He's certainly not worthless.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts

As I said yesterday, McCarty is a 6-10 version of Dell Curry. He's a useful player. He just can't rebound or score inside.

Quite a few teams could use a player like Walter, particularly at his salary. He's certainly not worthless.
Ja, once every 5 games...

Oh yeah our future is still on the bench.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
LOL I was just about to post that myself.
When he says one thing it usually means another.

Hmmm.... loooks like he's on the verge of a trade. He wasn't making any calls about Antoine either. Scout's honor.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

Not worthless, but not worth 39 minutes. How is it that Pierce lead the team in rebounds when McCarty played 39 minutes at power forward/center? Blount played 36 minutes and grabbed fewer boards. Maybe if Pierce didn't have to rebound, he'd be ahead on the break more.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mrsister</b>!

Maybe if Pierce didn't have to rebound, he'd be ahead on the break more.
Yes that is a problem for this team. But the other problem is that when Pierce does get a rebound, he tends to dribble the ball up the floor himself, instead of passing to a teammate ahead of him and running without the ball. I watched the second half of the Philly-Orlando game last night and McGrady does the same thing. And of course the Magic lost-- again.

Against Houston, the Celtics were outrebounded as usual, 45-33. The rebounding differential is even worse when you consider that Houston missed 45 shots and the Celtics only missed 36. On the offensive glass, the Rockets outrebounded the Celtics 15-5. That's a 3-1 ratio.

The solution, plain and simple, is to give more minutes to Mihm or to put Hunter on the floor. By doing that they sacrifice a 3 point shooter, and of course that is something O'Brien hates to do.

You live by the three or die by the three. Against Houston the Celtics shot over 50% from beyond the arc and won. But that will not happen very often.

At some point I'd love to see Mihm-Hunter-Welsch-Davis-Banks on the floor together. Now that is a group that could rebound and run.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

At some point I'd love to see Mihm-Hunter-Welsch-Davis-Banks on the floor together. Now that is a group that could rebound and run.
Unfortunately, I don't think OB will ever do that. He likes to use as few guys as possible in his rotations and generally has Pierce or McCarty on the floor at all times, so combinations like that would never happen.

And what was with Tony Battie when we played Cleveland? 13 rebounds (4 offensive) in 20 minutes? Why couldn't he do that when he was here? Oh yeah... he never played the Celtics.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
It's nothing personal against Walter, I agree he's not worthless and has his uses, however, OB way OVERUSES him for the WRONG things and that is why Walter needs to go, I'd be fine with giving him up for ANYTHING just so OB would not have that option anymore and our future could get off the bench. Mark Blount is also not someone that I'm crazy about, he's an adequate back up, that is ALL!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts