Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Stop the ball coming into the post. This is usually the Lakers first option. Make them go to plan B, which is the outside shot. Get your centre, to play in front of Shaq, denying him the easy pass into the post, where he will turn around and dunk the ball home. By playing in front of him, you are effectively denying him the ball, and easy possession. watch out for the lob pass though. You can only use this defensive play with your biggest centre. You cannot play an undersized centre on him.

2)Make him work on defence, get him out of the post. he is not a great rebounder, but he uses his strength more, to rebound. Set high picks with your centre and move him out of the low blocks. he is not comfortable defending the permiter. you need a jump shooting big man to play this role. Someone that Shaq needs to guard, who can hit the outside jumper. Guys like Lafrentz, Nowitzki, Divac, etc could in theory help here. Make Shaq chase you and force him to come out and guard you. When you draw him out of the post, the next best Laker rebounder in the blocks is Robert Horry, and here you can back your power forward to get the offensive rebound and start again.

3) Foul him denying him easy buckets. You need to play a rotation of big men on him, who can give up some fouls. He is only roughly a 55% free throw shooter, with a bad technique. Giving up one point is better than two points. He is never a certainty to make a free throw.When the game is close at the end this is one option you can use, Hack Shaq.

4) Pressure the ballhandlers. This is not as easy as it sounds, as the triangle involves a lot of set passing around the perimiter. all the Laker player are good ballhandlers. So trying to stop Fisher is not the main target, as he is not really the prime ballhandler. I would maybe consider playing a big backcourt, on Kobe and Fisher, playing them tight and close. Use your players size and athleticism to deny the space that they can operate in, getting a hand up in their face at all times.Close their vision by getting your hands in the air, denying the easy pass, into Shaq.

5) If you are going to double Shaq, use your power forward. Leaving Horry or Walker open, to hit the shot. Horry only shot about 38% in the regular season. i know that he has hit some clutch shots, but I like the odds of him shooting 38% from the field. Walker is not a set offensive player, so i would like him to be the open man, instead of Kobe, Fisher, or Fox.When doubling Shaq, ensure that he cannot get a clear pass out of the double team.

6) On offence go at him hard. get him into foul trouble. Get your guards to drive hard at him, and your centre to try and score on him. This is harder than it sounds, but if Shaq is in foul trouble, and has to sit out, you can go to work on his backup, Walker. Look to cash in when Shaq is out of the game. Look to score on Walker when he is playing centre. He is only 6"9, so it would be fairly easy for your centre to shoot over him, or drive around him.

This is not as easy as it sounds, but these are some theories that I think teams can use to try and nullify Shaq. It has not worked in the past, but what else can you do to stop him????

·
Registered
553 Posts
And the sad thing is, even if you execute all this very well, the guy will still be a huge factor in the game... and no-one can execute it perfectly for the entire game

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
It's easy to stop Shaq on the court, but it is impossible to stop Shaq's effectiveness. Why? If Shaq gets to demand so much attention, Kobe will take off.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
My theory...

You can't stop him, you can barely even contain him. Let him get his but try to shut everyone else down. Try to get him into foul trouble, but don't let that be your main focus or you'll forget about actually scoring. Try to frustrate him as much as possible. This is sort of what the Bulls did last year, and they didn't lose to the Lakers. They had Artest guard Shaq and had Miller and Oakley get him mad. The rest of the team couldn't make up for those two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts