Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the middle of a four hour drive today and I was leafing through Bill Simmons "The Book of Basketball". I've read the book before, but he had an idea that never caught my eye until today.

What if we gave every lottery team equal chance in the lottery? That would single handily eliminate tanking and would put the college studs in a position were they could potentially join a good team right away instead of spending their first years on a bottom feeder. I think it's an interesting idea to say the least. Obviously it would never happen, but it's fun to speculate.

What say you?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Assuming a bus trip? Driving and reading don't tend to mix well haha.

I think Stern answered this very question on NBA.com in the video clips. Have a look at that, but I think Charles brought this notion up and Stern was saying how it would be too much of an imbalance if the teams who just missed the playoffs were to land top picks, which is fair IMO.

Maybe you could go back to what they had in 1993, 1st seed 16.7%, reducing to 9% for 6th seed. Granted there were only 11 teams in the lottery then, you could spread the odds out a bit more. Stern also talks how Orlando won the 1993 draft despite having the worst odds (@ 1.5%)...

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My brother was actually driving. I was just trying to pass time.

The biggest problem with this idea would be the stupid conspiracy theorists that would flip a shit every time a big market benefited from the system. Outside of that, I think it actually makes the whole lottery experience a whole lot more interesting.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Really not fair to those legitimately shitty teams that "earned" a top pick if the #13 team who just missed the playoffs won the lottery. The way it is now is probably the best way to keep it "fair"

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
I don't like it. To me, it just moves the tanking to teams in the 7-10 seed range in each conference. Why go all out at the end of the year just to take a first round beating when you have a decent shot to wind up a with a franchise changing player if you miss the playoffs?

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
I'd be for it. I think teams like the Rockets should be rewarded moreso than a biblically bad team like the Bobcats (who didn't win the lotto as is anyways).

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
My brother was actually driving. I was just trying to pass time.

The biggest problem with this idea would be the stupid conspiracy theorists that would flip a shit every time a big market benefited from the system. Outside of that, I think it actually makes the whole lottery experience a whole lot more interesting.
Without commenting on the veracity of the idea, I couldn't care less for the stupid ****s who can't grasp simple mathematical concepts. Engaging them in conversation is an absolute waste of time.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
What about the 50 win teams who miss the playoffs in the West vs the 40 win teams who make the playoffs in the East?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't like it. To me, it just moves the tanking to teams in the 7-10 seed range in each conference. Why go all out at the end of the year just to take a first round beating when you have a decent shot to wind up a with a franchise changing player if you miss the playoffs?

I thought it was a great idea till you mentioned this. It would suck to have teams tanking out of the playoffs.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
What about the 50 win teams who miss the playoffs in the West vs the 40 win teams who make the playoffs in the East?
What about it? They made the playoffs, that's basically the entire point of the regular season isn't it? Some team catches a few breaks like the 76ers did and boom, that just generated a ton of cash/press for your organization. Can't make it on a run if you don't make it in the playoffs first.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Ahhh ok. lol. Oops.

I do know Rockets have it worse. Some fans of theirs like it too.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
What about it? They made the playoffs, that's basically the entire point of the regular season isn't it? Some team catches a few breaks like the 76ers did and boom, that just generated a ton of cash/press for your organization. Can't make it on a run if you don't make it in the playoffs first.
Yeah, but a team like the Sixers isn't any better off this season than they were before making the playoff run. It's something that happens rather often.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
You get a higher chance at getting a top pick the worse you are. They do this to try to keep parity in the league.

You big market fans are so ****ing annoying with this bullshit every ****ing year. "Ohhhh... why should my team be punished for not sucking? Why should some crap team no one watches get the 1st overall pick!"

Well, seeing as how decent FA's would never go to these teams when they're at the bottom of the barrel, I think its pretty clear why the lotto works the way it does. Otherwise you'd be having about 1 franchise going bankrupt or being sold every year.

****ing morons. Its common sense.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts