Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a thought nobody will like… I’m thinking we trade Zach and keep Wallace.

I like Wallace’s defensive abilities. Zach will most likely never be even an average defensive PF and he may be the type of player that scores 20 ppg and gives up 30+ (with him in the lineup we’re giving up way too many points in the paint). Now this is also based on trading Zach and maybe one of our 1st round picks for a decent center (not great, but average). We have SF shored up with Q & Patterson and guards are probably easiest to draft and/or obtain in free agency. I also like Wallace to help bring Outlaw along in the next few years.

Yes I have concerns about Wallace’s lack of rebounding, but a good defensive center and Patterson can make up for that and we will make use of his other talents.

I just see us being another Chicago- a ton of young ‘talent’ with no leadership or good veteran help.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Don't you have some claims to tend to? ;)

Seriously, I've sometimes wondered what kind of talent Zach might bring - then, I consider his salary and tumble back to earth.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
HMMM...Zach is 22 Sheed is nearing 30.....Zach likes to play in the post..Sheed likes to stand on the peremiter and play with himself...Zach wants the ball...Sheed shys away from it.....So you are saying we should trade Zach to keep Sheed.....RIIIIIIIGHT:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I don't think it is crazy at all, but it would require the return of another team's young "untouchable". Tyson Chandler, Franchise, Darko, Mello, etc. Zach has really high value right now. And though I like him a lot, I'm not sure he will ever be a good defensive player.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!
Don't you have some claims to tend to? ;)

Seriously, I've sometimes wondered what kind of talent Zach might bring - then, I consider his salary and tumble back to earth.
As was mentioned in another thread a while ago, we could even it out by throwing in Damon's contract.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I am not opposed to trading ZR... it depends on what we can get for him. If we bundled, say, ZR and RP (and maybe DA) we could get a star player in his prime, at least, right?

I don't know. I like Zach a lot, but if it's between Rasheed + a star player in his prime and ZR + a garbage contract, I think I'd prefer the former.

Ed O.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Reep</b>!
I don't think it is crazy at all, but it would require the return of another team's young "untouchable". Tyson Chandler, Franchise, Darko, Mello, etc. Zach has really high value right now. And though I like him a lot, I'm not sure he will ever be a good defensive player.
Zach is only 22! Let him develop, I think he is doing AMAZING in his 1st full year as a starter...gese...don't take him for granted people.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another concern... let's say we resign Zach for mega $$$$$$. Then when the league wises up to the fact he can't play a lick of defense, we have yet another untradable player on our hands.

As to Wallace's age, I'm hoping that he would play well for another 3-4 years while we bring Outlaw along. Even DD could back up Wallace if need be as his career winds down. He's a better PF than C.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MAS RipCity</b>!

Zach is only 22! Let him develop, I think he is doing AMAZING in his 1st full year as a starter...gese...don't take him for granted people.
Mas, I'm not saying we should trade him. I just think we should keep an open mind in case Orlando came knocking and offered TMac.

Asside from Zach's talent, I really like the way he seems to respect the coaches and works hard on his game. That can be infectious.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If we could get kmart or SAR deal for sheed, then I would be willing to part with zbo for a center or a more well rounded young prospect. Whether Zach is was traded or not though I still do not want to see sheed here next year.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Even if we did trade Zach, Q and filler for T-Mac, we would not win the title. LAL, SA, Meinesota, Dallas would all still be better than us.

Our best bet is to do what Barkley said last night and unload our older players in hope of becoming a good team in 3-4 years when Shaq is done and Duncan is older.

Trade Wallace for our future would be a better move than trading Zach for our present.

Also, i would not trade Zach for Steve Francis, Darko OR Tyson..but i would consider a move to trade him for Melo)Not happening)

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
he's already made a lot of strides on defense. I think he'll reach the stage where people don't really think much either way about his defense.

that said, if we got an offer for McGrady, Pierce, Kobe or Yao, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm not sold on Francis or Gasol , only because I think they are at similar values talent-wise, and all else being equal I'll go with the best low post threat. throw in a draft pick, and it makes it worth while.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ThatBlazerGuy</b>!
Trade Wallace for our future would be a better move than trading Zach for our present.
Good line--I like it.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Even if we did trade Zach, Q and filler for T-Mac, we would not win the title. LAL, SA, Meinesota, Dallas would all still be better than us.

Our best bet is to do what Barkley said last night and unload our older players in hope of becoming a good team in 3-4 years when Shaq is done and Duncan is older.
I've never bought into this reasoning. By that standard, you shouldn't have bothered creating a good team last year, because Shaq and Kobe were so good.

Or you shouldn't have created a good team 4 years ago, because Duncan was so good.

Or you shouldn't have created a good team 7 years ago, because Hakeem was so good.

Or you shouldn't have created a good team 10 years ago, because Jordan and Pippen were so good.

and on and on and on.

there are always going to be two or three dominant players in the game who are going to win 70% of the titles.

you can shrug and tell yourself that you don't stand a chance so you better build for the future and pray that your team beats the monumental odds and gets one of those guys.

or you can aspire to be the 2002 Kings, 2000 Blazers, 98-99 Jazz, 91-93 Blazers, 89-91 Pistons, etc, and assemble a quality team that stands a chance to defy the odds.

the former strategy is a crap shoot largely based on failure and luck. the latter is a strategy based on planning and competitiveness.

any strategy that involves failing for more than one or two seasons is a strategy I want no part of.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
"I also like Wallace to help bring Outlaw along in the next few years."
Great idea! Rashweed could teach him how to smoke a doobie while driving a car. He could also instruct him in the fine art of getting T'd up, assaulting referees, choking his coach, and making stupid remarks to reporters. I can't think of a better guy to take a young impressionable high school kid under his wing than Rashweed.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, Talkhard, while I see your point, my point is that the players and coaches say hte Rasheed is very good with teaching defense... to the younger players. They like him and respect him as a player and it appears he's willing to really be a positive person towards them. I agree with you that he has some things I would NOT want him to pass along, but we have none better to teach a young player defense. Rasheed is also more of a team player on the court than you may realize.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts

Interesting. In my mind, that's pretty much what Nash did in the Wells trade. And what Nash has been criticized over the last couple of weeks for doing - especially on this board.

Yes, Bonzi wasn't "old", but the trade will result in the Blazers having some cap room and a draft pick - sounds like building for the future to me.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Talkhard</b>!
Great idea! Rashweed could teach him how to smoke a doobie while driving a car.
Has Rasheed ever done this?

He could also instruct him in the fine art of... assaulting referees, choking his coach...
Has he ever done those things?

-------

You forgot that he could teach Outlaw the finer arts of constructing chemical weaponry, pillaging small villages and cannibalizing local orphans.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
BLAZER PROPHET, I give you credit for thinking outside the box... intereting idea. Wouldn't help our image though, and Zach probably has more value to us than in trade... in that we are not going to get any of the players with comparible numbers to his. Interesting thought though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts