Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eddie Robinson has got to show something this season, and fast. Reason being, he's got a large contract (6 years, 31 million) for someone who hasn't proven to be an NBA starter. He has been, however, a nice bench player and effective against second units (as he was in Charlotte)

I'm gonna be plain about my talent evaluation of Eddie... he is a similar yet worse version of Ron Mercer. Believe me, Mercer is no slouch, but I'm just throwing out the comparision to give us a point of reference.

- both absolutely CANNOT shoot the 3 pointer (which is something a 2guard should do, right?)
- both are lost on defense
- both are primarily jump shooters, though Mercer has shown that he is a lot more consistent up to this point
- both do not drive to the basket much, though Mercer does when he is inspired
- both signed lucrative deals (over their net worth) with the Bulls

I'm not slamming JK for even signing him. At the time, we had to sign somebody to at least keep over the cap minimum.. and E-Rob was a decent choice. He, like many other bench player gone good playoff performer (ala A.Croshere, D.George, etc), got the contract he wanted. Time will tell if he'll live up to the contract.

Toe injury or not, E-Rob doesn't have any more excuses to lean on. Hassell is already a better 2 in my mind (plays D and shoots the 3 baby!) and E-Rob has got to earn his minutes. If not, I guess he'll be an expensive bench player. He has definitely disappointed the fans (and myself included) up to this point.

VD

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
I'm not sure how Mercer has been more consistent as a jump shooter. A lot of people rip ERob's jump shot, not because it's bad, but because it LOOKS bad. Frankly, I don't care. He's a decent shooter. Just look at both players' FG% throughout their careers and you'll see a huge edge for ERob. Also, according to reports from KC Johnson, Jalen is gonna be starting at the 2 this season, which makes ERob the starting 3 (unless we get someone else via trade or FA). ERob should become a better defender than Mercer, if only because he has very long arms. Neither drive to the hole enough, never have. That's something I agree ERob needs to start doing this season. Bottom line, assuming both players are healthy, I'd take ERob anyday over Mercer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ERob is a SF.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by DaBullz
Probably a dumb question.

Why is the 6'9" ERob a 2 guard? He is listed as F on every stats site I looked him up on...
I agree that he's listed as an SF on most sites, but he has described himself as a 2 guard.

Also, yes, ERob is 6'9", but he's also only like 205lbs, which is an absolute string-bean weight for a SF.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Why do we spend so much time on what our players cannot do?

E-Rob is a tremendous athlete and a very good finisher on the break. He makes us more athletic and dangerous. He has a good midrange jumper.

We're a more versatile team with him starting OR coming off the bench.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by gettinbranded
Why do we spend so much time on what our players cannot do?

E-Rob is a tremendous athlete and a very good finisher on the break. He makes us more athletic and dangerous. He has a good midrange jumper.

We're a more versatile team with him starting OR coming off the bench.
Hmm.... puzzling.

Eddie Robinson deserves the spotlight because 1) he's signed a longterm contract with the Bulls 2) is 26 years old (a veteran by NBA standards) and 3) needs to prove himself like anyone else.

I agree that Eddie can dunk on the break, meaning he's got nasty hops. I would also say that 'being athletic' should translate into defense and rebounding, but not in this case.

And no, he hasn't proven to me yet that he has a good midrange jumper. For my money, Mercer is still a better shooter (though this is a tough comparision, like rotten apples to other rotten apples).

Its not a huge problem now, but as with Mercer's contract and overall play, it will be in a couple seasons when we need to unload salary, sign the kids, or make a run at other FAs if need be.

VD

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I hate to do this because I know FJ hates when I mention this, but Eddie was built out of a PF mold throughout most of his basketball career.

When he was in college, Eddie played PF on his team. When he was in HS and then after he quit HS and he played pickup in Flint, he was developed as a post player because they already had tons of guards and forwards in the Flint area. For those of you who don't know, he played alongside Cleaves, Bell, Mo Pete and others in Flint.

His game is still in transition since he began converting from a PF to a SF/SG in Charlotte where he began to refine his game and shoot more jumpers because that is what SF/SGs do. His development into his new position has definitely been slowed because of his injuries.

Remember that his stats were based in about 16-20mpg in his first three seasons, which if you move to about 30-34mpg, will hit about the averages for SFs in terms of rebounds, steals and blocks. In 30-35mpg, I'm sure he'll average about 14-18ppg as well. The one thing he cannot do is shoot the 3, but who knows, maybe that will come if he works hard enough.

I'm not the biggest fan, but his friends (the Flint boys) all believed that Eddie had the most talent out of any of them. Take that for what its worth. I do think this is his make or break year if he stays healthy... if he doesn't do anything this year or gets injured again, I look for him to fade into the sunset.

I guess we'll see, eh?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by RetroDreams
I hate to do this because I know FJ hates when I mention this, but Eddie was built out of a PF mold throughout most of his basketball career.

When he was in college, Eddie played PF on his team. When he was in HS and then after he quit HS and he played pickup in Flint, he was developed as a post player because they already had tons of guards and forwards in the Flint area. For those of you who don't know, he played alongside Cleaves, Bell, Mo Pete and others in Flint.

His game is still in transition since he began converting from a PF to a SF/SG in Charlotte where he began to refine his game and shoot more jumpers because that is what SF/SGs do. His development into his new position has definitely been slowed because of his injuries.

Remember that his stats were based in about 16-20mpg in his first three seasons, which if you move to about 30-34mpg, will hit about the averages for SFs in terms of rebounds, steals and blocks. In 30-35mpg, I'm sure he'll average about 14-18ppg as well. The one thing he cannot do is shoot the 3, but who knows, maybe that will come if he works hard enough.

I'm not the biggest fan, but his friends (the Flint boys) all believed that Eddie had the most talent out of any of them. Take that for what its worth. I do think this is his make or break year if he stays healthy... if he doesn't do anything this year or gets injured again, I look for him to fade into the sunset.

I guess we'll see, eh?
Good points, Retro.

I've also heard that he's the best of the 'FLINTstones' ballers. That being said, Mateen hasn't done much, Bell is not currently on an NBA roster I believe, and MoPete has been a servicable 2 for the Raptors.

I guess I'm down on Eddie b/c I was expecting a lot more. We signed him for some decent cheddar (6 years?!) and his numbers in Charlotte were a bit misleading. Again, he's the bench player gone playoff performer (ala A.Croshere, T.Thomas, D.George etc.) that hasn't proven the worth of his current big contract.

I thought he would be a slasher and finisher, though he's shown himself as a decent jumpshooter. I would still give Hassell the most minutes here (coupled w/ Rose) until Eddie can earn it and prove otherwise.

I'm just afraid that we'll be talking 'Ron Mercer'esque statements in 2 years time about Eddie's play on his albatross contract.

Peace,
VD

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
One thing I think ERob is better at than Mercer is being a 6th man. Coming off the bench is probably his best attribute when you consider what he brings to the table. His ability to play transition is something a lot of teams look for in 6th man type players, when they go uptempo and need that 6th man to be a floor leader of the second unit.

Mercer in my opinion was more in the mold of a starter, and I was not impressed with his skills. He is not suited to be a first or second option, but tried to fill that role in Chicago. I haven't seen enough of him in Indiana to see how he is doing.

If ERob is healthy he is a better asset than Mercer. Unfortunately, ERob is paid like a starter, and I don't think that is what he is ultimately going to be. I think he is going to battle Fizer to see who is first off the Bench, and Krause is going to go with a defensive oriented 3 to start, and give the starting unit a little more stability.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What makes you so sure ERob will be fine with the idea of coming off the bench? He came off the bench in Charlotte, but landing a starting role was a major reason for coming to Chicago? Being a 6th man would be step back for him.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
He wanted to start in Charlotte but he didn't complain about it. It would be a step back for him, but the Bulls may try and limit him to prevent injury to the toe, like Cleveland limits the Big Z to protect his feet.

I am of the camp that thinks he was promised a starting job. I however think the situation he is in with his toe has put him into a tight spot over what he can complain about. I think if he makes it through this year, he has a better case. This year, he is going to have to take it slow, to show everyone that it is ok. The last thing I am sure Krause wants to see is Robinson reinjure that toe and lose all his trade value.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Originally posted by BCH
I am of the camp that thinks he was promised a starting job.
GM's don't step on coaches toes that way. And even if they did, a basketball player has enough common sense to know what happens when a more talented player is at his position on the team.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Originally posted by gettinbranded

GM's don't step on coaches toes that way.
Tell that to Tim Floyd

·
Train Em While Young.....
3,628 Posts
Wait a minute do we not realize that he was injured throughout the season? Give him a full healthy season, and we can see what he can do.

Something I do know is that he was playin well in preseason. Yes, I know its preseason, but its a good sign.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Future
Wait a minute do we not realize that he was injured throughout the season? Give him a full healthy season, and we can see what he can do.

Something I do know is that he was playin well in preseason. Yes, I know its preseason, but its a good sign.
I totally agree. This season is the litmus for sure.

But I'm just VERY skeptical about Eddie's game , in general, even when healthy. He's only proven thus far in his career to be a good role player and possible 6th man, all while getting starter's money. So yeah, I'd love to see a healthy E-Rob slash and finish and defend and rebound and.... well... I just don't see this happening (healthy or not).

Peace,
VD

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
YOU STOLE MY THUNDER~~~

Originally posted by PC Load Letter
I'm not sure how Mercer has been more consistent as a jump shooter. A lot of people rip ERob's jump shot, not because it's bad, but because it LOOKS bad. Frankly, I don't care. He's a decent shooter. Just look at both players' FG% throughout their careers and you'll see a huge edge for ERob. Also, according to reports from KC Johnson, Jalen is gonna be starting at the 2 this season, which makes ERob the starting 3 (unless we get someone else via trade or FA). ERob should become a better defender than Mercer, if only because he has very long arms. Neither drive to the hole enough, never have. That's something I agree ERob needs to start doing this season. Bottom line, assuming both players are healthy, I'd take ERob anyday over Mercer.
Man I was gonna jump all over that jump shot of his....kinda out of the same mold as BILL CARTWRIGHTS~~~ I just cannot make that same decision that EROB is better than mercer....mercer got tired of carrying the load for the Bulls. He disappeared at times in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I hope we still have not seen EROB's abilities. He has not played much and is ONE reason why the Bulls have no chemistry. EROB, I hope and pray he can play as a starter. as far as driving to the rack, all the guards and sf's need to practice it. With the triangle, whoever ends up with the ball better be able to shoot it or jam it!!! Again with the triangle, there is no need for a pure point guard. IF Jalen is gonna be the starting SG as you say, this must be our lineup:

PG - Jamal Crawford/Jay Williams
SG - Jalen Rose/Trent Hassell/Crawford
SF - Eddie Robinson/Rose/Hassell
PF - Tyson Chandler/Fizer/Baxter
C - Eddie Curry/Chandler/Bags(God help us?)

LETS GO BULLS~~~ Gettin' pumped here!
:grinning:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Does the name Scottie Pippen ring a bell?

Originally posted by Vin Diesel

I totally agree. This season is the litmus for sure.

But I'm just VERY skeptical about Eddie's game , in general, even when healthy. He's only proven thus far in his career to be a good role player and possible 6th man, all while getting starter's money. So yeah, I'd love to see a healthy E-Rob slash and finish and defend and rebound and.... well... I just don't see this happening (healthy or not).

Peace,
VD
......THIS is the way I would love to see EROB's game evolve. Healthy, oh YEAH BABY, I can see it!!!(I know, I know, he has a long way to go! LOL)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I think you are right on....

Originally posted by BCH
He wanted to start in Charlotte but he didn't complain about it. It would be a step back for him, but the Bulls may try and limit him to prevent injury to the toe, like Cleveland limits the Big Z to protect his feet.

about this:

I am of the camp that thinks he was promised a starting job. I however think the situation he is in with his toe has put him into a tight spot over what he can complain about. I think if he makes it through this year, he has a better case. This year, he is going to have to take it slow, to show everyone that it is ok. The last thing I am sure Krause wants to see is Robinson reinjure that toe and lose all his trade value.:grinning:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts