Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes everyone our friend Paul Shirley is back and this time he's teaming up with Bill Simmons from Page 2 on ESPN. Below is just a snipet of what you can expect in the future.

Link to the whole article

------------
By Bill Simmons
Page 2

Remember Suns forward Paul Shirley, who wrote an entertaining blog from a five-game road trip last month. Two weeks ago, I was trying to get him to write a guest mailbag and ended up sending a list of sample questions to a friend at the NBA, who sent them to the Suns ... randomly, Paul e-mailed me last night with answers to some of them. Here's the funny thing: He seemed disappointed by the questions, which – admittedly – weren't very good. I had just sent along 8-10 questions just so they would see what kinds of things the readers would be asking, never thinking he would answer them.

Anyway, I promised him a better batch of questions – if you're interesting in e-mailing him, click on this link, fill out the form, send your question and we'll get it to him for a full-fledged mailbag on them (I may even join in for a couple of answers).

Here's a taste of what you can expect:

Q: "In your travels in the NBA so far, who gets the best groupies?"
– Jason Quinn, Drexel University

Paul Shirley: Me. 1,229 and counting. Kidding, of course. I have received a significant amount of feedback regarding my recent online journal. (I realize that the accepted term is "blog," I tend to shy away from that word as it seems more appropriate as a surrogate for other words. For example, to avoid the rampant censorship, should I ever re-start the journal, I may attempt to introduce the word blog in situations such as the following: "The referee then turned to Bo Outlaw and said, 'Bo, shut your [blog]ging mouth. And quit [blog]ging dancing.'" Basically, I am nominating the word as a replacement for the antiquated *&^#• from the Beetle Bailey days of the 1950s.) I have completely lost my train of thought. Ah, yes, groupies.

I was going to mention the fact that many people have been surprised by my admission that I spend a fair amount of time during any game checking the crowd for attractive girls. I don't really understand why this is so shocking – I am, after all, a 27-year-old male. What else would I be thinking about? My retirement plan? Good-looking women get my attention. That is just how it is. Along those same lines, I have done some research with regard to the groupie phenomenon. As a relatively naïve soul originally from the thriving metropolis of Meriden, Kans. (pop. 700), I was intrigued, upon my entry into the NBA, by the fabled professional athlete groupie scene. I was under the impression that the NBA of my youth was a debauchery-fueled league and, while not interested in participation necessarily, was excited by the prospect of observing some of this behavior from afar. Imagine my surprise, then, when it was nowhere to be found. Instead of players sneaking surreptitiously to bathroom stalls, to emerge later with sniffles and traces of white powder on their upper lips, I found notices promoting pre-game chapel services. Instead of buxom blondes waiting at the hotel in each new city, I was faced with kids looking for autographs at 1:30 in the morning.

Obviously, all of this good behavior has been a bit of a disappointment. There is a reason, though. In today's NBA, a team will fly out of the city in which it has just played immediately following the game. This seriously cuts down on the instances of, "Hey, ballboy. See that girl with the great personality in the third row? Go get her number for me." (Just so we are all on the same page here ... Because we leave right after the game, there really is no time for the extracurriculars. These are not long-term relationships in the making; no one is planning ahead for the next time he is in town.) Now, that is not to say that these things do not go on. It is simply done much more discreetly. Groupie procurement, like Dell Computers, has become more efficient. There are fewer shots in the dark, and many more, shall we say, instant connections. I, for one, applaud the progression.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
'surreptitiously'

guaranteed first ever NBA player to use that word. Hell, I dont even know if it is even a word!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts