Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
yeah, I guess you missed the day where Hap went on his field trip to the facility and snapped that shot. apparently it was only up there for a few days, and it's likely SAR has never even seen it.

doesn't keep me from using it, though. I think it's a fantastic symbol of how SAR has been misunderstood and misused by this team. hopefully this changes with the announcement of the three man rotation of Miles/Randolph/SAR at the 3/4. it's about damned time.

man, I wish we had a better coach. I just know a good coach could make SAR and Randolph work on the court at the same time.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!
man, I wish we had a better coach. I just know a good coach could make SAR and Randolph work on the court at the same time.
I agree with this totally. I wondered at the end of last year, what Larry Brown or Tomjanovich or Riley or ? would have done. Its too much talent not functioning properly

Hopefully a full fall camp can produce something positive

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!

I agree with this totally. I wondered at the end of last year, what Larry Brown or Tomjanovich or Riley or ? would have done. Its too much talent not functioning properly

Hopefully a full fall camp can produce something positive
Hunh. Are you thinking that fall camp will produce an new head coach??

;)

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
sorry if I was not clear......... NO

time for Mo to work out some kinks with our players. He never really had a long time to work with Rahim and Zach. They were acquired and only had time at practices and while on the road to get something brewing. It obviously could have gone much better.

As much as I would like to get that premier SG for one of our PF's. A very workable lineup with Rahim being 6th man of the year would be very nice. But that requires Mo to play Rahim more than 12 mins a game. And its a catch 22, Rahim needs to earn it. He needs to play his butt off in a contract year, and let the league know his first 7.5 years are no fluke, and he can play for a winner. With his talent he should probably start on a team, but he needs to reconvince GM's in this league or else he will not get a big pay day next year as a FA.

Prior to the trade, was my reasoning to get Rahim, was that he could be very affective with Zach. They have complimentary games, if worked out. Zach inside. Rahim with a slashing style with a decent short range jumper. He gets to the line.. a lot!

Mo needs to learn how to play all three... Darius, Zach and Shareef..... each getting 32 mins a game. There is a lot of skill there, and they need to know their roles. That is what fall camp will be for this year. to define, and establish roles.... to make the players buy into it all, and win... together as a team. But they need to play as a team. And to carry on what they ended up with at the end of the year. They did well IMHO, but just could not finish off a few teams to gain the playoff berth. Maybe with more time to work on things they can become a team and gel.

Last year we needed outside shooting to win. When it was on, we were hard to beat. Our big men were good. Maybe NVE and Richie will help more than we think :gopray: Until we get that premier shooter, that is all we have to wish for right now

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I will reiterate what I said last year:

Reef is a flow player and asking him to come with energy off the bench is asking him to play outside his game.

He won't get the foul calls as a bench player and he won't get into the game properly.

This isn't an excuse, it just is what it is.

This imaginary world where Reef and Zach are compliments does NOT exist. Zach is a VERY selfish player and clogs the lane. He'll steal post position and he is so concerned with the padding his rebound stats that the lane never opens up.

For Reef to be effective, he needs 8 feet in to be pretty clear to work. Just like Zach. Where I come from ... this isn't complimentary.

Unfortunately, people think this has something to do with being on a "winning team" or "not being good" ... but it has to do with being asked to play a game that isn't yours.

Play.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Not disageeing at all with your commnets about Rahim.

But he is at a cross roads..... he has to produce NOW, or he will be playing for $1.99 next year. It is extremely important for him to show the league he can play... the stigma or being on a loosing team will forever haunt him until he proves otherwise. Like it or not, he has to shake that off by earning it. No one is going to loose it on him due to time. He has to prove otherwise. Portland is a winning franchise.... period!

No contender will offer him big money. Chances are they will have a PF and he will be aked to be a bench player on a contending team. If he was runner up to league MVP it would be different. He is a good PF in this league and can start... He is better than average. He may make top 15... maybe! Meaning he is capable of starting on 15 teams out of 30. If he makes a big push in performance he can do well next year in the FA market.

Portland has to use him... they are not going to give him away for e.g. Raef LeFrentz... they are establishing a 3 man rotation of Miles, Zach and Rahim to market him for a trade at or before the dealine IMHO. With Miles on board with a bigger raise, and Zach getting a big raise next summer. The FA fantasy of signing Ray Allen or similar FA is all but gone now. Letting Rahim walk to shed the money does no good but to lessen tax money spent.

Flow or not.... 6 ft vs 8 ft of clearance... he has to produce. Zach will be on this team, so will Darius. And the coaches need to capitalize on that and on his talents and learn to make it work. They haev no other choice until Nash makes a Rahim trade announcement or next summer he signs with another club. But that is 9-10 months from now. Until then their is 82 games to play!

The imaginary world of Rahim playing and thet eam conforming to him is gone. He does nto have that luxury here. Its now do or die. He has to evolve like the other teams and players do. He needs to improve and broaden his game skills. You need to improve each year in this league or your a has been. Extend your jump shot, improve your quickness, improve your D.. work on something for crying out loud. All the other desireable players do. He will get the fouls called when he earns it and quits doing his best Rasheed impression.... play hard.. no whining to officials! Do what he does best... be athletic, try hard, and slash to the basket. It will come when he earns it. Nothing is given to him.

You say you know him Play..... tell him! I am sure the coaching staff has. I am sure Nash has... His agent is probably still in denial! Goodwin only cares about his commision not Rahim the person!

Mo and Rahim need to step it up for the good of the team

and by the way I am .... a fan of Rahim's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts