Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a break from posting here for about 3 weeks it feels good to say THE KING IS BACK!!Anyway I am going to give an opinion about high school players who turn pro.
Firstly I played some high school ball in San Francisco and was a six foot point guard. Let me say that I was the fourth tallest player on my team! What I am trying to say is that being 6"9 - 7 foot and just getting the ball in the post and dunking is easy when you are one foot taller than your defenders. Getting rebounds is simple when you have such a huge height advantage over smaller players. You do not even need a jump shot being this tall you can basically do what you want and score. Blocking shots is easy as well, as you are just playing against players who just play for their school team for fun and recreation, who do not even have proper shot mechanics and poor technique. The truth comes when these players come to the pros and find out they just cannot over power anyone anymore. They have to learn that their opponents are not only taller, or just as tall as them but have been doing weights for years and are bigger and way more stronger than these rookies. I remember seeing countless times Chandler and Kwame Brown taking up solid positions to rebound but all I saw was them getting carried forward and the other teams big guys getting the rebound. The NBA is a completely different environment from high school basketball. The coaching is more intense and defined and their is competition within the team at all times. What I am saying is that just being 6"10 putting up 30 points, 15 boards a game and 6 blocks does not count for that much when you have such a huge advantage in height over opposition players in high school ball. As I said the truth and potential of that player comes when they start matching up against players their height and size night in and night out.It is common knowledege that Kwame Brown is an example of a player frustrated at his inability to dominate in his rookie season. I have read Doug Collins talk about the fact that Brown got lazy at times when he had to work alot harder than he had to in high school, when he was really putting up unbeleivable numbers. What I do not want to see is a guy like Amare Stoudemire just be satisfied with getting drafted. He should aim to be the starting power forward for the Suns, this year and should beat out Bo Outlaw and Gugliotta. However Outlaw and Gugliotta have something that Amare does not which is NBA experience of 10 years or more. they are just as big as him and smarter and have been under NBA coaching for this time as well. Basically, the NBA is a learning environment and adjustment for these high school players, when you cannot dominate in the NBA like you did in high school, you need to find another way to contribute, which is THROUGH HARD WORK!!!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
" I have read Doug Collins talk about the fact that Brown got lazy at times when he had to work alot harder than he had to in high school, when he was really putting up unbeleivable numbers."

Welcome back and this is a great post. The part I chose to highlight gives the reader the main reason why HS kids that are drafted struggle in the Pro game.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts