Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steve Patterson: Today is really a watershed day for the franchise. This move is, that we're announcing tonight, is not just about what goes on on the court, but really is the culmination of a long string of discussions and negotiations and hard work by the entire organization for the last eight months. As we went through the process, we recognized that at some point in time, that the Portland Trailblazers and Rasheed Wallace were going to have to part ways...As we went through the process, we recognized that it was Rasheed's preference not to come back here, and with that in mind, we had to make sure that we would maximize the asset values for the franchise as a whole...Tonight is really about re-claiming the brand and the Trailblazers for Portland and the great fans of this community...

John Nash: I think it's safe to say that Atlanta would not have made this trade last summer, they would not have made it last month, it was only within the last week, as we're bearing down on the trading deadline that we began to get involved in serious discussions...

Mo Cheeks: Well, like you just said, I think over time this can make us a better basketball team. I think Theo, Theo Ratliff's ability to block shots gives us another, gives us an advantage in the basket, under the basket in terms of shot blocking. We haven't really had that - Rasheed probably was the best we had in shot blocking, so, then you get Rahim who is a 20 and 10. He's a good offensive player, he's another guy who can put the ball in the basket and, you know, we gotta find a way to put it all together, obviously, with Zach and Rahim, but there is a way. I mean, you know, when you get players like that, there is a way. A player who can score the basketball, there is a way. And certainly with Theo, whose ability to play defense gives us a dimension that we haven't had and can add to our defense.

And after the press conference,
John Nash: It's going to be Maurice Cheeks' mission to try and get these guys integrated into the lineup, and obviously we're in a playoff drive. But we think we made a good deal. Most teams do when they pull the trigger. We regret that we had to give up Wes Person in this deal because he had been such a nice fit for us. We also acquired Dan Dickau, a local guy who may wind up making a contribution as well...It may be that we have no further opportunities, but we're going to pursue them and see if any develop. We do have another almost ten days before the trading deadline and there is another deal up my sleeve that I'd like to make, but if we don't, so be it. I think we've changed our roster significantly, and hopefully for the better.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
We do have another almost ten days before the trading deadline and there is another deal up my sleeve that I'd like to make, but if we don't, so be it.
I'm riveted.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I don't recall Cheeks ever looking happy since coming to Portland. I wouldn't assume that means anything.

I really hope there is indeed another trade brewing. As I voiced a couple times (and no one responded to) in the big trade thread, I don't like the looks of the current lineup. Too similar to the one that was a dismal failure at the start of the year. If another trade or two can correct that situation, then I'll happily jump on the bandwagon.

Dan

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!

I really hope there is indeed another trade brewing. As I voiced a couple times (and no one responded to) in the big trade thread, I don't like the looks of the current lineup.
I didn't respond, directly, but I felt (and said) the lineup looks pretty well set up to me. Ratliff should be a better presence at center than Dale Davis. Randolph, of course, is ensconced at power forward. Abdur-Rahim started his career as a small forward and I think he can still play the position well.

The backcourt is basically unchanged, outside the dumping of one scrub for another (Person was a good shooter, true, but Dickau might still have some potential as a point guard replacement for Stoudamire).

I don't think the lineup is particularly unbalanced, outside of having three backup point guards (which will be culled, I imagine...just a "throw a bunch of stuff at a wall and see what sticks" situation).

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Blazerfan024</b>!
Did any one else see Cheeks wasnt very happy..
Wasn't Cheeks an assistant in Philly when they pawned TR off on Atlanta? He knows the guy is damaged goods.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Blazerfan024</b>!
Did any one else see Cheeks wasnt very happy..
I believe that Mo genuinly like Rasheed and valued him more than a lot of others do.

This also makes Mo's job a lot tougher. He finally got to the point where he had a set rotation and everyone seemed to know their role and team chemistry was coming together. Now he has a whole set of new challenges to face: First, there's going to be some morale issues as Rasheed was well liked throughout the team. Then there's the chemistry problem. How will he manage Shareef and Zach together? Where does Darius fit in now, and how unhappy will Dale and Ruben be with less PT? This is a major change and Mo is given the task of keeping the team competative while working out the details on the fly, during mid-season. I'm wouldn't be suprised to see a little stress in his face.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Oldmangrouch</b>!

Wasn't Cheeks an assistant in Philly when they pawned TR off on Atlanta? He knows the guy is damaged goods.
Yes

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Whew, lots of threads and posts to catch up on this morning. :eek:

Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!

I felt (and said) the lineup looks pretty well set up to me. Ratliff should be a better presence at center than Dale Davis.
Better than Dale wasn't my concern, though. Is he a better center presence than Rasheed? Better on D, worse on O, much worse in the injury department. Overall, I'd have to take Rasheed in that head to head.

Is Shareef a better 3 than Darius has turned out to be in his brief tenure? We obviously don't know yet, but I sort of doubt it. I expect Shareef will be less suited to the 3 than Rasheed was, and the team improved dramatically as soon as that course of attack was abandoned.

Although we added two very good players, we significantly threw off the makeup of the team to the point I'll be surprised if the whole is not less than the sum of the parts.

One could almost make a case for the team's four best players all being natural power forwards:

Zach
Shareef
Dale
Theo

How is that not unbalanced??? With no outside shooting threat (DA? Yeah, right.) on the team, how jamb packed is that lane gonna be?

Dan

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Oldmangrouch</b>!
Ratliff has played in 134 of the last 135 Hawks games... hardly damaged goods!

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
you forgot one quote which has a lot of bearing on this whole situation.. from Blazers.com

Question: Why trade Rasheed at this time?

Steve: We have talked to Rasheed many times over the season and it became clear that it was best for both the Blazers and Rasheed for us to part ways. He made it clear that he did not wish to return next season.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
One could almost make a case for the team's four best players all being natural power forwards:

Zach
Shareef
Dale
Theo
Dale Davis?! Are you kidding? Maybe 5 years ago, but not the way he's played this season. Stoudamire, for all his faults, is a much better player. Miles is at least equal to Dale, as is DA when healthy. Even Patterson has been more valuable than Double D.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RipCity9</b>!

Dale Davis?! Are you kidding? Maybe 5 years ago, but not the way he's played this season. Stoudamire, for all his faults, is a much better player. Miles is at least equal to Dale, as is DA when healthy. Even Patterson has been more valuable than Double D.
Agree completely...At this point, you could make a case for just about anyone on the roster being more valuable than DD. I cringe every time he touches the ball on offense, and wait for a whistle every time he's guarding someone with the ball on defense.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I firmly believe Nash has a deal real close to send Rueben out. The presence of RP makes the aquisition of Shareef and Darius very curious. I think A RP and DD deal could be in the works, we will have to see.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I am with you Minstrel

Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!

I didn't respond, directly, but I felt (and said) the lineup looks pretty well set up to me. Ratliff should be a better presence at center than Dale Davis. Randolph, of course, is ensconced at power forward. Abdur-Rahim started his career as a small forward and I think he can still play the position well.

The backcourt is basically unchanged, outside the dumping of one scrub for another (Person was a good shooter, true, but Dickau might still have some potential as a point guard replacement for Stoudamire).

I don't think the lineup is particularly unbalanced, outside of having three backup point guards (which will be culled, I imagine...just a "throw a bunch of stuff at a wall and see what sticks" situation).
I am fully with you minstrel. I do not like the looks of the lineup now, and I do not see how this team can be productive with only so many minutes at PF and SF available to the team. I sure hope Nash has another deal up his sleeve, because I like having Darius at SF and Zach at PF. Ratliff will be nice with shot blocking presence at center, but does somebody want to tell me, WHERE DOES RAHIM FIT IN? He is the centerpriece of this deal, yet I do not see where he fits in on this team.

PS.
I am glad we got Dickau, I like him.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
They BOTH have trade kickers.. makes it very hard to move without paying out $$$

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Relax. I said "could almost make a case." Dale's obviously a bit of a stretch at this point, but when he opts to show up motivated, he's one of the biggest factors on the team in the defense, rebounding, and toughness departments. Just ask Dallas.

The point should be very obvious, minor quibbles aside: The team as it is currently structured has WAY too many guys who naturally play the 4. I don't think it will work particularly well to play more than two of them at the same time -- not enough complimentary skills -- which means either a lousy rotation or each of them averaging 24 minutes a game.

Dan

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!

Ratliff has played in 134 of the last 135 Hawks games... hardly damaged goods!
I don't have the link handy, but this is paraphrasing TR's own words:

The hip damage is permanent.
He is in chronic pain, and can't consistently run and jump the way he did before the injury.
There is no way to predict when he will have to quit. It could be several years, or it could be next week.

Yes, I call that damaged goods!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Is TR more damaged than Sabonis was? 3+ blocks a game is not "damaged goods." Even if Ratliff says that himself. It's damage I can live with.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!

Zach
Shareef
Dale
Theo
Hmm, you'd make the case that Dale Davis is our fourth-best player? I'd put Derek Anderson ahead of him, as well as Ruben Patterson. And I think I'd rather have Miles, at this point.

But Ratliff is a power forward type that can play center, and SAR's "natural position" was small forward. He played small forward for Vancouver and was shifted to power forward in Atlanta, in the East.

Ratliff obviously loses the head-to head with Wallace, but SAR handily beats the pants off of Miles, to me. Yes, Miles played nicely and did some good things...but he's nowhere near SAR's realm of production.

I think Ratliff/Randolph/SAR makes a balanced front line. The only unbalancer may be Shaq...I don't want to see Ratliff against Shaq.

Yes, we're back to square one when it comes to an outside shooter. That's Nash's next task. Obviously, Portland wasn't going to become a championship-caliber squad in one step. This is a transition step but, to me, it leaves the team in decent shape during the transition.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts