Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Errant marksmanship has become an epidemic among the Bulls. Kirk Hinrich hasn't shot 50 percent from the field in a game since Feb. 23 at Cleveland. In the 11 outings since then, Hinrich's field-goal percentage is .342.

"It is frustrating and everything," said Hinrich, who left Wednesday's game with a left hamstring strain in the third quarter. "I'm just trying to stay confident and stay aggressive and not overthink it. I lost a little bit of an edge. When I'd shoot the ball, I used to know it was going in. I'm kind of second-guessing myself right now."

Fellow guards Ben Gordon and Chris Duhon are also shooting below 40 percent in March. Not coincidentally, the Bulls are 3-6 this month.

"Guys are probably starting to think about it a little too much," Skiles said. "I see us kind of turning down open shots, driving in when we're open and then shooting when we're covered.

"That happens with young guys. It takes a while to really become a confident player in the league. It's getting a little mental. We'll come out of it. But we are having a rough stretch shooting the ball right now.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bulls.asp

The Bulls survived the first four months of the season without a significant injury, but now the law of averages appears to be gaining ground.

Center Eddy Curry sat out Wednesday's 100-84 loss to the New Jersey Nets because of a left-hamstring strain suffered the previous night.

The news only got worse as Kirk Hinrich strained his left hamstring late in the third quarter against the Nets, and Chris Duhon will have X-rays on his right index finger today.

"It's been bothering me for a while, about a week or so," Hinrich said of his hamstring. "I tried to stop real fast one time and tweaked it. The next time I really tried to go fast, it really pulled on me."

Hinrich refused to guess how long he might be out. He missed a month of workout time last summer when he pulled his right hamstring, but doesn't think this injury is nearly as bad.

"I'm not going to be out a month, I'll tell you that right now," he said.

Duhon hurt his shooting hand late in the second quarter when he fell hard to the floor after scoring on a driving layup. The rookie point guard did play 12 minutes in the second half and drilled a 3-point basket in the final seconds.

"It felt like it cracked a little bit," he said after the game. "I'll get more X-rays tomorrow."

Curry originally projected himself as probable for Wednesday's game, but changed his outlook when the injury didn't respond overnight.

"It just feels pretty sore and stiff right now," Curry said. "By tomorrow, hopefully, with some more treatment and stretching a lot, it should be ready to go for the next game."

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bulls.asp?intID=38428133

sounds like kirk has been playing through a minor hamstring injury and now it's gotten worse. the bulls have been fingers crossed lucky in terms of the injury bug. hopefully duhon didn't suffer anything worse than a sprain, but the cracking thing cannot be good. and worse thing now is deng rushes back and re-injures the ankle. hopefully curry is ready to go friday.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more from the Tribune:

Hinrich is a straight shooter off the court, especially during times when he's not one on it.

Asked about the shooting slump that is getting more serious by the game and has reached a total of four, Hinrich didn't mince words.

"I'm not getting the job done," he said. "I've never been so frustrated in my life."

Hinrich is shooting 25 percent in his last four games, including a 2-for-8 clankfest against New Jersey that featured two air balls.

"I'll try to stay confident and aggressive because, for the most part, I'm taking good shots," Hinrich said. "I've lost a little edge because I've been second-guessing myself."

Coach Scott Skiles agreed Hinrich's shot selection is fine and added that he would like to see Hinrich get even more aggressive and find ways to draw contact and get to the line.

"What was his percentage last year?" Skiles asked rhetorically. "What happens to Kirk is because of the makeup of our team right now. Kirk has the burden of guarding the other team's best guard—but he did last year also.

"The ball is often in his hands at the end of the shot clock, where he has to try to manufacture shots. And our guards do almost all our playmaking for us. … I think he has been more a victim of circumstance than anything else."

Hinrich is shooting 38.4 percent; he shot 38.6 percent last season. One big difference, however, is Hinrich already has attempted more shots than last season's total of 823. Hinrich is on pace to take 1,173 shots this season.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...lsbits,1,3500164.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
"I'm not getting the job done," he said.
Yep, he's been dreadful. And has been saying that for a while now.....but his play has only gotten worse as the weeks have gone by. Now it is at an all time low. Injury or no injury.....he quite simply needs to step it up as the leader and "heart&soul" of this team.

Ben has stunk it up this month too.

This team isn't going to accomplish jack w/ our two most important players having their worst month of the season aside from November.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Second guessing your shots is about the worst thing a shooter can do from a mental standpoint. I'd like to see him come out gunning in the first quarter (where he generally doesn't take the majority of his shots), and see if a couple fall. If not, I agree with Skiles, you have to find a way to get to the line.

The only two who consistently seem to get to the free throw line are Tyson and Noc, with sprinklings of Eddy and Ben.

Hinrich is a good penetrator, but he tries to avoid contact to get his shot off. I've noticed that he doesn't get to the line often when he drives, but this should be the next step in improving his game.

"Hey, my shot's not falling. Let's get 4 practice FTs in there before I take my next look."

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Hinrich is frustrated. Great. Now make the shots.

How much longer until we just say Hinrich can't shoot?

Its been nearly 2 seasons.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Rhyder said:
Second guessing your shots is about the worst thing a shooter can do from a mental standpoint. I'd like to see him come out gunning in the first quarter (where he generally doesn't take the majority of his shots), and see if a couple fall. If not, I agree with Skiles, you have to find a way to get to the line.

The only two who consistently seem to get to the free throw line are Tyson and Noc, with sprinklings of Eddy and Ben.

Hinrich is a good penetrator, but he tries to avoid contact to get his shot off. I've noticed that he doesn't get to the line often when he drives, but this should be the next step in improving his game.

"Hey, my shot's not falling. Let's get 4 practice FTs in there before I take my next look."
I like this analysis a lot.

·
Queensbridge
1,936 Posts
"Guys are probably starting to think about it a little too much," Skiles said. "I see us kind of turning down open shots, driving in when we're open and then shooting when we're covered.
He hit it right on the spot.

As Skiles said, I think we're starting to doubt ourselves on offense. I see some of our youngsters taking the extra second to think about releasing the jump shot, including Nocioni, who I always refer to as the fearless type of player and the wildcard of our team. Kirk's definately questioning his shots, and both Duhon and Gordon just aren't knockin' them downs.

In a brief sentence, we're a bloody mess.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Kirk doesn't drive to the hole a ton. He takes the shooting guard role literally (shoot and guard) and when he does drive, he throws up floaters like Ben and Duhon, avoiding contact. As much praise as he gets for being gritty, wasn't this the same argument people used against Jamal and E-rob?

Noc, now there's a guy who draws contact alot.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
News
Bulls guard Chris Duhon sprained his right index finger in the first half of Wednesday's game against the Nets, but returned in the second. ''We have a lot of injuries right now,'' Duhon told the Chicago Sun-Times. ''It's something we're going to have to play through.''

Views
Duhon's minutes are up significantly this month as he's been called on to fill in for a banged up Kirk Hinrich.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
El Chapu said:
News
Bulls guard Chris Duhon sprained his right index finger in the first half of Wednesday's game against the Nets, but returned in the second. ''We have a lot of injuries right now,'' Duhon told the Chicago Sun-Times. ''It's something we're going to have to play through.''

Views
Duhon's minutes are up significantly this month as he's been called on to fill in for a banged up Kirk Hinrich.
Dang everyone's hurt

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
We should see Ben in an increased role with Chris and Kirk banged up. Let's see what our promising young star can do. :clap:

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
G-Ben Gordon
G-Chris Duhon
F-Luol Deng
F-Antonio Davis
C-Eddy Curry

is this going to be our lineup for friday? I am pretty sure that Deng is ready to roll on friday, otherwise saturday.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
kukoc4ever said:
Hinrich is frustrated. Great. Now make the shots.

How much longer until we just say Hinrich can't shoot?

Its been nearly 2 seasons.
Well, he shot 43% on 3's in his college career over 4 seasons.

He shot 50.5% as a sophomore and 47.8% as a junior. Obviously, he can shoot. The college 3 line is almost 20 feet, that's a long 2 in the NBA.

His senior year at Kansas, he shot a lot more 3's and only hit 40.6%. Now I only saw him play a few times at KU and didn't really pay any attention to him except the Syracuse game, but it seems like he's not meant to be a high-volume shooter.

Last year, with JC taking the most shots, Kirk hit 39% of his 3's.

I think once more of his PT comes with Ben in the backcourt with him, and he can play PG on offense and not be the #1 option for half the game, his percentage will go up.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
bullsville said:
Well, he shot 43% on 3's in his college career over 4 seasons.

He shot 50.5% as a sophomore and 47.8% as a junior. Obviously, he can shoot. The college 3 line is almost 20 feet, that's a long 2 in the NBA.

His senior year at Kansas, he shot a lot more 3's and only hit 40.6%. Now I only saw him play a few times at KU and didn't really pay any attention to him except the Syracuse game, but it seems like he's not meant to be a high-volume shooter.
Ed O Bannon was a great college player as well. Different league. Dragan Tarlac was a pretty good Euro player. Different league.

Last year, with JC taking the most shots, Kirk hit 39% of his 3's.

I think once more of his PT comes with Ben in the backcourt with him, and he can play PG on offense and not be the #1 option for half the game, his percentage will go up.
Maybe... but he was not the #1 option last year and shot under 40%.

He should not be the #1 option this year. I don't think he needs to be. Maybe he should cut down on the types of shots he struggles with. He should get to the line more as well... go into the contact instead of shying away from it.... get to the line instead of shooting a low percentage shot. Maybe if Jalen was here he could teach him how to do that. :)

Two of our three fundamentally sound college guards are shooting under 40%.

We'll see what happens.

(do I need to start a Kirk Hinrich excuses thread? :) )

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
kukoc4ever said:
Ed O Bannon was a great college player as well. Different league. Dragan Tarlac was a pretty good Euro player. Different league.

Maybe... but he was not the #1 option last year and shot under 40%.

He should not be the #1 option this year. I don't think he needs to be. Maybe he should cut down on the types of shots he struggles with. He should get to the line more as well... go into the contact instead of shying away from it.... get to the line instead of shooting a low percentage shot. Maybe if Jalen was here he could teach him how to do that. :)

Two of our three fundamentally sound college guards are shooting under 40%.

We'll see what happens.

(do I need to start a Kirk Hinrich excuses thread? :) )
Lots of guys were good college players, of course that doesn't mean anything. Different leagues- duh, you can do better than that.

Shooting is shooting- if you can hit the shot, you can hit the shot. I don't care if Tyson played against 4th graders, he wouldn't be hitting many 3's.

I think anyone who is paid money to evaluate basketball players would tell you that Hinrich can shoot. Period. I can't really discuss that with you, because he has obviously proven that he can shoot.

Will he ever shoot better than 40% in the NBA? Maybe he will, maybe he won't, I don't know. Will he ever shoot as high a percentage as he did in college? I seriously doubt it, hardly anybody in the league does. But we can discuss that for as long as you want, at least it merits discussion.

But to say he "can't shoot"? I'm sorry, but he can.

And you're more than welcome to start a "Kirk Hinrich Excuses" thread, except you won't hear Hinrich making any excuses. He won't be crying about PT, or blaming the coach, or the front office.

I don't notice even his biggest fans here making excuses, but please point it out any time you see it. Maybe then you'll see the difference in Eddy and his ites and Kirk and the Kirkites.

And I don't know why anyone thinks I'm a Kirkite, I keep saying if anything I'm a Tysonite, he's my favorite player and I named my son after him. That should tell you something. Do I have to go BBS and post an image of his birth certificate? :biggrin:

I guess some people think that just because I rip Eddy when he sucks, I must be a Kirkite. :nonono:

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
bullsville said:
Lots of guys were good college players, of course that doesn't mean anything. Different leagues- duh, you can do better than that.
A large part of your post was talking about Hinrich in college. Those days do not matter anymore.

Shooting is shooting- if you can hit the shot, you can hit the shot. I don't care if Tyson played against 4th graders, he wouldn't be hitting many 3's.

I think anyone who is paid money to evaluate basketball players would tell you that Hinrich can shoot. Period. I can't really discuss that with you, because he has obviously proven that he can shoot.
They wheel out some 70 year old "shot doctor" to help SHAQ with his free throws.... I guess he's a great "shooter" too.

None of this matters unless you can do it in an NBA game consistently.

Will he ever shoot better than 40% in the NBA? Maybe he will, maybe he won't, I don't know. Will he ever shoot as high a percentage as he did in college? I seriously doubt it, hardly anybody in the league does. But we can discuss that for as long as you want, at least it merits discussion.

Just not in the NBA I guess.

Maybe the better way to word it is "score efficiently."

We beat the Sonics this week if Kirk is not clanging his wide open jumpers.

Or if Duhon can come up with more than an air ball.

Thank God we got all those "chuckers" off the team and brought in some sound college players.

And you're more than welcome to start a "Kirk Hinrich Excuses" thread, except you won't hear Hinrich making any excuses. He won't be crying about PT, or blaming the coach, or the front office.

I don't notice even his biggest fans here making excuses, but please point it out any time you see it. Maybe then you'll see the difference in Eddy and his ites and Kirk and the Kirkites.

And I don't know why anyone thinks I'm a Kirkite, I keep saying if anything I'm a Tysonite, he's my favorite player and I named my son after him. That should tell you something. Do I have to go BBS and post an image of his birth certificate? :biggrin:
I was not calling you a Kirkite or anything like that. I like Hinrich and just want him to get better. Maybe he’ll talk about how good a shooter he was in college and that his current struggles perplex him.

I guess some people think that just because I rip Eddy when he sucks, I must be a Kirkite. :nonono:
I just think its strange that out of all the players to pick on... and you can find things to pick on all our players about... you pick Curry. And its not just a little suggestion here or there…. You are composing (very funny ) songs about your dislike for him.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
bullsville said:

being able to shoot well and actually shooting well are 2 different things , some people never get to the level of shooting they were at in college , some surpass it, thats why we play the games , until kirk actually does it in the nba its really just a theory , he is at the moment a low % long range shooter...as far as his shooting goes.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
disgruntledKNICKfan said:
being able to shoot well and actually shooting well are 2 different things , some people never get to the level of shooting they were at in college , some surpass it, thats why we play the games , until kirk actually does it in the nba its really just a theory , he is at the moment a low % long range shooter...as far as his shooting goes.
I agree, but he can shoot. Like I said, that doesn't mean he'll ever shoot a high percentage in the NBA. Shaq normally leads the NBA in FG%, it doesn't mean he can shoot- just look at his FTs.

Just like Jamal can shoot, I don't think there's any doubt about it. But he'll never shoot a high % unless he quits taking so many bad shots (which I hear he has cut way down on his shot attempts lately, that's probably a start- but I haven't seen any Knicks games lately).

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
kukoc4ever said:
A large part of your post was talking about Hinrich in college. Those days do not matter anymore.

They wheel out some 70 year old "shot doctor" to help SHAQ with his free throws.... I guess he's a great "shooter" too.

None of this matters unless you can do it in an NBA game consistently.
The "shot doctor" IS a great shooter, have you ever seen him shoot? I agree with everything else you're saying, but to say Kirk "can't shoot" isn't accurate. Kirk "can't shoot well in an NBA game"- that's certainly been true so far in his career.

Just not in the NBA I guess.

Maybe the better way to word it is "score efficiently."

We beat the Sonics this week if Kirk is not clanging his wide open jumpers.

Or if Duhon can come up with more than an air ball.

Thank God we got all those "chuckers" off the team and brought in some sound college players.

I was not calling you a Kirkite or anything like that. I like Hinrich and just want him to get better. Maybe he’ll talk about how good a shooter he was in college and that his current struggles perplex him.

I just think its strange that out of all the players to pick on... and you can find things to pick on all our players about... you pick Curry. And its not just a little suggestion here or there…. You are composing (very funny ) songs about your dislike for him.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you called me a Kirkite, I didn't make that clear. I was referring specifically to Matrix/Gipper/?______? and BBS, and in general to anyone else who believes that if you rip on Eddy's game, it's because you are a Kirkite.

But the reason I rip on Eddy more than anyone else is that people are always making excuses for why he didn't do something- usually, rebound. I don't really read any "we need to get the ball to Nocioni more, it will make our offense better", but you read that a lot about Eddy. And the numbers over the course of the season say it's simply not true about Eddy either. If anyone said that about Nocioni or AD, I'd say they were incorrect as well.

Or if someone said 'Hinrich needs to shoot more', I'd be saying how wrong they are as well.

I rip his rebounding because it is pathetic. If Duhon or Kirk went an entire game with 0 assists, I'd rip them a new one as well. Eddy turns the ball over too much and doesn't pass nearly well enough to be a non-factor on the boards.

Also, Eddy goes crying to the media blaming Skiles when he gets benched. Ben doesn't start, he doesn't complain. Kirk rarely gets benched, but when he does he says "I sucked". He doesn't complain or make excuses.

Not just in basketball but in life, I have a lot more respect for a person who takes responsibility for their actions than I have for someone who makes excuses and blames others. I'm guessing most people share that view?

And Eddy has done it several times. I'd have a hell of a lot more respect for him if he just said 'I had 4 TO in 16 minutes, that's inexcusable and I need to take much better care of the ball.'

And it's pretty easy to watch a game, even on TV, and see if a guy is playing hard or not. Eddy usually doesn't play hard, and that's going to be a problem his entire career IMO.

And thanks for saying the song I wrote was very funny, I appreciate it. But I don't hate Eddy any more than I "hate" Jamal- I just don't think he's ever going to be worth anywhere near the money he's going to demand.

·
Registered
572 Posts
spongyfungy said:
Kirk doesn't drive to the hole a ton. He takes the shooting guard role literally (shoot and guard) and when he does drive, he throws up floaters like Ben and Duhon, avoiding contact. As much praise as he gets for being gritty, wasn't this the same argument people used against Jamal and E-rob?
Kirk doesn't have the height or leaping ability that they do. That's not a fair comparison.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts