Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
UMBC fan
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I miss basketball...so, I created a bracket with 32 of the best America East teams from the past 20 years. All conference champions were automatic bids, and 12 at-large bids filled the field. I made sure that all teams had a representative in the field so everyone can have some fun. Maybe Lutete will knock off Coppenrath and Sorrentine!? I am sorry if you feel your favorite team has been robbed, but I did my best with selection and seeding. Also, the simulator did not have the 1999-2000 Maine roster available, so I had to choose the 2000-2001 roster. Sorry, Maine fans.

The bracket is attached below. I plan on starting simulations this SATURDAY, so if you'd like to screenshot/save the bracket, fill it out and upload it to the thread we can have a bracket challenge with pride on the line. Or, type out your picks in a paragraph. Or, you can just read the thread for updates. Or, you can wonder why someone would put time into this and return to another thread.

·
Gr8t Dane
699 Posts
I like it. Interested to see the results from a simulator. Not sure I could make the picks as ive only followed the league super closely for 7 or 8 years. Followed before, but not as intently

·
Registered
494 Posts
Oh come on! You had to give 07-08 UMBC, the 05-06 UAlbany team first round? Grant, amazing matchup, but you couldn't find a different opponent for that one?

Also, I love this.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hey, the best part about March Madness is being a homer, go UMBC! Also, riding Joe Zeglinski probably way further than I should but he was such a great shooter and could get hot at any time and carry his team. Plus, I liked do-it-all guard Jaret Von Rosenberg. Well put together Hartford team.

·
UMBC fan
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it. Interested to see the results from a simulator. Not sure I could make the picks as ive only followed the league super closely for 7 or 8 years. Followed before, but not as intently
That's fair, I've only followed since '05 myself. You can use sites like Basketball Reference to help learn about some of the latter historical squads and inform your picks.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Does the sim engine factor in non-basketball actions? Word on the street is that 3 key members of the '00-'01 Maine squad have gone missing prior to their matchup with '08-'09 Binghamton. No word on where their TV's are or whether they left their doors unlocked.

·
5,942 Posts
08-09 Binghamton probably could've gotten a higher seed, but I think their mid-conference season loss to UMBC really hurt their ranking.

·
UMBC fan
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Appreciate those playing along, and will appreciate those who read the updates throughout the next couple days...

...still have until 1 ET tomorrow to get those brackets in before Round of Speidel (32) sim results start coming in! Sweet Sixteen on Sunday! All games will be simulated on neutral floor, and I will post score, scoring leaders, and a paragraph detailing game for each matchup. Quarantine fun for all!

·
Bill Herrion anti-apologist
2,193 Posts
To this day, UNH's best chance at winning a title was that '14-15 team. They had Leissner, Matt Miller, Daniel Dion, Jaleen Smith, Iba Camara, Ronell Jordan and Jacoby Armstrong on that roster. And what happens right before the first round? Tanner Leisnner breaks something and misses the playoffs. Jaleen Smith had a three that rimmed out at the buzzer against UA that would've sent UNH to their first AEast finals.

In 15-16, they had Tanner but no Miller because he wasn't granted an extra year despite missing two straight with injury. No doubt in my mind they win a title one of those years if Miller gets an extra year or Tanner doesn't miss 14-15.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts