Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of Utah with Stockton and Malone, two HOFers, never winning it all, and I'm wondering what other teams in NBA history have had such an illustrious duo and not gotten it done?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Vince Carter and Alvin Williams. 98-99: No Playoffs, 99-00: 1st Round, 00-01: 2nd Round, 01-02: 1st Round, 02-03: No Playoffs.
They will be hall of famers, believe it or not. Any quality duos that have played together for many many years would probably get consideration for the Hall of Fame.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mattsanity</b>!
Vince Carter and Alvin Williams. 98-99: No Playoffs, 99-00: 1st Round, 00-01: 2nd Round, 01-02: 1st Round, 02-03: No Playoffs.
They will be hall of famers, believe it or not. Any quality duos that have played together for many many years would probably get consideration for the Hall of Fame.
-_-;.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
:sigh: :uhoh:

:laugh:

alvin willaims in the hall:confused:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Originally posted by <b>scj</b>!
Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon, Scottie Pippen
That was the trio during the '99 season, and do you think those 3 were better than they were in the past, at that time, that makes them an illustrious duo, which the topic starter wants to know about?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Originally posted by <b>wadecaroneddie</b>!

:sigh: :uhoh:

alvin willaims in the hall:confused:
If you don't have to go far to be promoted into the Hall of Fame, then what do you exactly have to succeed? Have an illustrious INDIVIDUAL career? Well, Malone and Stockton have distinctively made their reputations as a whole package PF and a playmaker respectively, as Vince Carter has a great individual reputation while Alvin Williams has the reputation of having all heart on the court. If THAT'S not the criteria, then I guess there has to be a duo that have stayed together for a long stint. If that's not it, then what is, to be promoted into the Hall of Fame?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

That was the trio during the '99 season, and do you think those 3 were better than they were in the past, at that time, that makes them an illustrious duo, which the topic starter wants to know about?
I know it said duo, but they were still 3 future HOFs that didnt make it. And of course they were better in the past, where in my post did I say they weren't?

·
Registered
14,070 Posts

If you don't have to go far to be promoted into the Hall of Fame, then what do you exactly have to succeed? Have an illustrious INDIVIDUAL career? Well, Malone and Stockton have distinctively made their reputations as a whole package PF and a playmaker respectively, as Vince Carter has a great individual reputation while Alvin Williams has the reputation of having all heart on the court. If THAT'S not the criteria, then I guess there has to be a duo that have stayed together for a long stint. If that's not it, then what is, to be promoted into the Hall of Fame?
i cant beleive ur comparing vince and alvin to stockton and Malone....u cant be serious....:sigh:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Originally posted by <b>scj</b>!

I know it said duo, but they were still 3 future HOFs that didnt make it. And of course they were better in the past, where in my post did I say they weren't?
You're not getting to the point. Do you think they were an illustrious trio during when they were together only, with the exception of their marvellous past play?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I just want to try to keep this thing on track a bit. The Barkely, Hakeem, Pippen thing was good, but I mean guys close to their prime. Teams that really should have been able to contend.

I'm just not good enough with the research. I'm figuring there may have been teams with guys like Oscar Robertson, Nate Archibald, Moses Malone, Wilt Chamberlain... guys like that... with fellow superstars.

What were some of the greatest teams that didn't win, while keeping the two HOF locks in mind?

·
Registered
7,724 Posts

Sure... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

You're not getting to the point. Do you think they were an illustrious trio during when they were together only, with the exception of their marvellous past play?
I would say so. Pippen averaged 15 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals. Hakeem averaged 19 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 1.6 steals, and 2.5 blocks. Barkley averaged 16 points, 12 rebounds, 4 assists, and 1 steal (also take not that this was the lockout season).

If that's not enough for you, you can go back to the 96-97 season where it was Hakeem and Barkley. Barkley averaged 20 points, 13.5 rebounds, 4.7 assists, and 1.3 steals (but only played in 53 games) . Hakeem averaged 23 points, 9 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 1.6 steals, and 2.8 blocks

Of course they were all past their primes, but they still were putting up star numbers

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Wade reminds me..

Zo and Tim Hardaway
Ewing and Mark Jackson/Oakley
Big O and Lewis Alcindor never won it together, I believe.
Reggie Miller and Chris Mullin

More questionable:
Kemp/Payton
KJ/Barkley
Grant Hill/Stack
Moncrief/Pressey (80's Bucks)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The trio of Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor, and Jerry West never won a title. The year Baylor retired Wilt and Jerry won a title, but the three of them never won a title playing together.

Look at the 68-69 season

Lakers finished 55-27 First seed in West. Lost to Boston 4-3 in finals.

Wilt 20.5ppg 21.1rpg 4.5apg
Baylor 24.8ppg 10.6rpg 5.4apg
West 25.9ppg 4.3rpg 6.9apg

Probably the best trio to never win a title.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
west & baylor is the greatest example. west won his 1st title the year baylor retired.

big o and lew won it all in '71 (i believe it was '71).

other duos:

wilt & nate thurmond (1 year)

rick barry & nate thurmond (2 years)

dave bing & lanier

mullin & richmond & hardaway & webber (none are shoo in hofers though)

grant hill & joe dumars (2 maybe's)

iverson & mutombo (2 years)

robinson & rodman (2 years)

david thompson & dan issel

alex english & dan issel (and thompson)

calvin murphy & moses malone

earl monroe & wes unseld

kemp won't make it.

mullin was well past his prime as miller's teammate.

ewing never had a hof teammate.

moncrief's best teammates were marques johnson first and then terry cummings.

lj won't make the hall.

alvin williams for the hall of fame is an absolutely ludicrous notion (unless we think there are 100 current hofers playing). vince has a long way to go himself.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts

I think you forgot about the fact that you have to be good to get into the hall of fame.

Alvin Williams' career numbers:
9.1PPG - 4.1APG - 2.5RPG - 1.19SPG - .25BPG

It's ok if you like Alvin Williams, but he's not really that good at all, when trying to compare him to hall of famers. The most points he's ever scored in a season is 13.2 and the most assists he's ever had is 5.7. He's never been an all-star, and never will be. So why should Alvin Williams be in the HALL OF FAME?

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Vince Carter and Alvin Williams. 98-99: No Playoffs, 99-00: 1st Round, 00-01: 2nd Round, 01-02: 1st Round, 02-03: No Playoffs. They will be hall of famers, believe it or not. Any quality duos that have played together for many many years would probably get consideration for the Hall of Fame.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

:sour: :sour: :sour: :sour: :sour:

Yikes. That statement is therealdeal-worthy. :no:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.