Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seth Davis of SI is reporting that Cincy is hot after Hobbs. I sure hope he doesn't go.

Here's the SI article (subscription required) and I wrote about it on ColonialHoops.com too

3. Karl Hobbs is most likely ticketed for Cincinnati. Bearcats representatives have already made back-channel inquiries about the George Washington coach and hope to persuade Hobbs, a former assistant at Connecticut, to return to the Big East.​

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Hobbs would be a perfect fit at Cincy. He has a hard time beating Xavier there and so does UC.

Seriously, knowing all of the **** going on at UC, I would recommend he stay away, but they can pay him a hell of a lot more than he gets at GW.

xu95

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hard oppurtunity to turn down if he gets offered the job. I really hope he stays, his teams have been the only sign of strength the A-10 has had the last two years. He's a question, if he does leave do we see the same type evacuation we saw at Richmond? I'd be interesting to see if the players follow him or chose a different setting like Jerry Wainwright's kids did.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Mattjb34 said:
I'd be interesting to see if the players follow him or chose a different setting like Jerry Wainwright's kids did.
From what I hear those kids were not given a choice. They were encouraged to move on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As much as I don't like Hobbs (which is out of jealousy in the way he gets kids from our backyard and other great players) I really want him to stay. He is starting to be reconized nationally and this is nothing but good for the A10, and with Chaney leaving the only reconizable coaches are Hobbs, Martelli, and to some point Sean Miller. We need his name in this conference

·
Registered
768 Posts
PVP said:
From what I hear those kids were not given a choice. They were encouraged to move on.
Oh I didn't know that. By the administration? I don't think Mooney would intentionally enter the season without a PG.

If Hobbs goes to Cinci then GW should snatch up Jeff Capel since TU probably won't.
Capel has got to be a hot ticket right now, he's very young for a coach, has done some nice things with VCU, and has a good pedigree with the Duke connection and all. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about him. I can't emphasize enough that the new Temple coach has to be a Philly guy, that rules out all the hot MVC, CAA, and other mid-major hot ticket coaches. If the GW job does open up I hope they will give a guy like Capel a look.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Mattjb34 said:
Oh I didn't know that. By the administration? I don't think Mooney would intentionally enter the season without a PG.
I had a decent source for this. (Probably the only time I can say that)

Kids didn't fit into system and / or didn't fit the type of "student" Mooney was looking for.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Here's what the Enquirer had to say today:

KARL HOBBS, HEAD COACH, GEORGE WASHINGTON

Hobbs became a hot property this season, when he led the Colonials to a 27-3 record before losing to Duke in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Hobbs has a 91-56 record in five years as the head coach at George Washington.

On the plus side, Hobbs, 43, has ties to the Big East Conference after spending eight seasons as an assistant coach at Connecticut, his alma mater, where he was a four-year starter at point guard.

At UConn, he was credited with recruiting and helping to develop current Detroit Piston Richard Hamilton, as well as Khalid El-Amin and Kevin Freeman - all of whom started on UConn's 1999 national championship team.

But Hobbs had two players on this year's team from Lutheran Christian Academy, a prep school in Philadelphia targeted in a New York Times investigation into prep schools built around basketball programs that serve as quick academic fixes to get players eligible to play NCAA Division I basketball.

One of the reasons Huggins' contract was terminated was that Zimpher questioned the academic achievement of his players. How, then, could the school hire a coach who has recruited players from Lutheran Christian?"

Also in the article were the other 3 candidates - Andy Kennedy, Mick Cronin (Murray St) and Jim Larranaga (George Mason). I don't see KH getting this job mostly because of the recent bad publicity. It may not be a big deal at a lot of places, but Cincy is trying to restore their tarnished rep and it seems like this would be a risky hire right now. Guess we'll find out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The players that left before the season were not told to leave (except Merritt who hit is girlfriend something that is not tollerated at UR), they did not have the grades to play by UR standards. It was either transfer or sit the bench.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hobbs has one thing that those other coaches don't have....he's black. Oscar is pushing for this hire to be a black coach which could vault Hobbs to #1. That is the reason Nancy went to New York to attract L. Orr, but he said no thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Only Merritt would have been eligible to play this year. Sandoval and Nelson were eligible by NCAA standards but did not meet UR standards and would not have played -- at least first semester. There's no place to hide at UR so you better have your head screwed on when you get here.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Administration and Mooney. Just because a kid had to sit out a year doesn't mean he has to transfer, but he'll be more willing to if he gets a little bit of a push from a coach that doesn't want him (or them).

On thread; let's go Huggy Bear to Temple, Hobbs to Cincy, and Lasagna to GW (will never happen).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hobbs is the best recruiter in the Country. The talent he was able to assemble at a school like GW is very impressive. I hope he stays one more year then bolts for greener pastures. If Cincy wants him then it would be nearly impossible for him to turn it down. Who would say no to someone offering to double your salary? The good news is GW will be attractive to many successful mid-major coaches and should land a very good coach. Jeff Capel does sound like a great fit if he is in fact on the short list.

·
Registered
93 Posts
1 or maybe both of those players - nelson & sandoval - would not have been eligible by ncaa standards either. in fact I think neither would have been. our AD wasnt specific but made it clear they would have been ineligible. but I have asked him flat out if UR has standards for eligibility (once enrolled in school) that are above NCAA standards to be eligible to play and he clearly said NO. which is the way it should be. I suppose he had no reason to tell me the truth but it would be a stupid polkicy. so I would have to disagree that these were UR standards to continue to play. yes we have high standards for admittance but once in school there is no reason to adhere to anything but NCAA unless it is a coaches decision to make a point. one of those players apparently pulled a 0.0 last semester, I dont think that would have got it done with the NCAA. there were rumors of transfer with nelson before wainwright even left. nelson is close to fred hill - upcoming coach at Rutgers - so that & being a little homesick made that transfer not surprising. certainly coaching change is always a factor too. merritt as stated was eligible but off field trouble did him in.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.