Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&id=2379620

in summary:

using this specific Skiles quote: "Ben was a high-turnover player last year. It's something he knows he needs to work on ... It's just that the incredible fourth quarters last year took the focus off a lot of the other things.''

essentially, Hollinger opines, that Ben contributes "so little" in other areas besides scoring, that his scoring needs to be "something special" for him to be a good overall player. Cites his poor Turnover Ratio, his low-percentage shooting (41.1 last year, 41.7 this season) and the fact he rarely gets to the line.

others named by Hollinger are: AI, Steve Nash (!), Kmart, TJ Ford, Eric Snow, Kyle Korver, Lamar Odom, Baron Davis, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Jamaal Magloire and Darius Miles.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
mizenkay said:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&id=2379620

in summary:

using this specific Skiles quote: "Ben was a high-turnover player last year. It's something he knows he needs to work on ... It's just that the incredible fourth quarters last year took the focus off a lot of the other things.''

essentially, Hollinger opines, that Ben contributes "so little" in other areas besides scoring, that his scoring needs to be "something special" for him to be a good overall player. Cites his poor Turnover Ratio, his low-percentage shooting (41.1 last year, 41.7 this season) and the fact he rarely gets to the line.

others named by Hollinger are: AI, Steve Nash (!), Kmart, TJ Ford, Eric Snow, Kyle Korver, Lamar Odom, Baron Davis, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Jamaal Magloire and Darius Miles.

I'd definately agree that Gordon was overrated last season (yet I loved every minute of his success). You hardly hear about him anymore outside of the Chicago media this season, so I kind of find it hard to believe that he is overrated this year.

Since I think it would be fun, I'll make a thread so people can make their own most over/underrated lists.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,155 Posts
That's a pretty good list of overrated guys.

Ben is overrated as some kind of savior but evil Skiles refuses to use in clutch situations. If anyone saw that Detroit game a week ago, you'd know when he got on fire, defenders just double teamed him and he couldn't do anything. This year teams are paying attention to him and he's fumbling the ball.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
mizenkay said:

in summary:

Gordon's game is a work in progress but he's gone from being a guy who had more turnovers than assists last year to having a 3/2 AST/TO ratio this year. Not great for a point guard (which obviously he isn't), but a substantial improvement which puts him in the same company as 2's like Richard Hamilton, Kobe Bryant, Raja Bell and Larry Hughes. I didn't read the Hollinger article so I'm not really sure how strongly he took Gordon to task for his turnovers, but I think he's made some pretty good strides in this area.

The free throws attempts concern me. Ben doesn't shy away from contact but often he just charges at the rim kamikaze style and gets leveled and stuffed, he's got to learn how to take contact in a way that's going to get him to the line.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
jbulls said:
The free throws attempts concern me. Ben doesn't shy away from contact but often he just charges at the rim kamikaze style and gets leveled and stuffed, he's got to learn how to take contact in a way that's going to get him to the line.
For Gordon to be able to get to the line, it's simple in my eyes. Take the ball up directly to the hoop with the ball in two hands and then make adjustments as necessary.

He makes too many mid-air adjustment or little skips before jumping to avoid contact, which I think translates him in not getting many benefit of the doubt sort of calls. Maybe him learning the "giant killer" over Okafor at UConn wasn't as beneficial as many of us once thought?

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
I said he was overrated last year in the face of homers who thought he was the next superstar, but this year his hype has cooled down and I'd say he is rated pretty much where he should be. An electric scorer who could be a really great 2nd option, but really is lacking in the overall game.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
AI and Nash, right... he needs to layoff the "medication".
As for Odom, I'm basically rehashing the same stuff over and over. The Lakers are trying to make him into a point forward, and it really doesn't suit him. He'd benefit alot from a change of scenery.

For Gordon, I feel he has to gradually make a switch to the PG spot, when his ball handling and judgement greatly improve. He can score, but long term I don't see him being able to survive at the 2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.