Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
24,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As crazy as this sounds with all the mayhem in the front office, the Blazers actually came out of this offseason better than when they started. Since Kevin Pritchard was allowed to operate the draft before being unceremoniously dumped as general manger, Portland ditched Martell Webster's contract and got three promising rookies out of draft day -- most notably high-scoring forward Luke Babbitt, who is exactly the kind of floor-spacing 4 who Nate McMillan loves.

During the interminable delay before hiring Pritchard's successor (note to Paul Allen and Larry Miller -- if you know several months ahead of time that you're firing the GM, it might be wise to have some kind of succession plan in place), what was left of Portland's front office managed to lure Wesley Matthews from Utah. They overpaid, sure, but they overpaid for a piece that really fits. Matthews will help them with his defense and 3-point shooting -- every team is looking for players like this -- and since I don't imagine Paul Allen will have major objections to the Blazers' being a luxury tax team, the dollars aren't going to hurt them.

Finally, the Blazers made a strong hire by bringing in Oklahoma City's Rich Cho to take over. He adds the cap expertise that the team lost with the firing of Tom Penn earlier in the spring. The Blazers lose Pritchard's scouting eye and deal-making skill, but the organization was already very strong in the former department with NBA scouting director Michael Born and college scouting director Chad Buchanan. Given what a mess this seemed like two months ago, they've ended up in fantastic shape.
Insider Link

I don't think they're in 'fantastic shape', but yeah, they're better than what they were.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
If they can actually stay healthy, they'll be a pretty good team in the West. But they're not title contenders by any means.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
If, and it's a big if, Oden stays healthy I believe we can challenge anyone.

Funny though, nice to see something positive from a national writer because the local so call sports writers just like the stir the pot.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Assuming they deal Rudy Fernandez, they're working with...

Andre Miller...Jerryd Bayless...Armon Johnson
Brandon Roy...Wesley Matthews...Elliott Williams
Nicolas Batum...Luke Babbitt
LaMarcus Aldridge...Jeff Pendergraph...Dante Cunningham
Greg Oden...Marcus Camby...Joel Przybilla

I guess it's still a really young team, especially a young bench. The team's success really relies upon Oden's health. It's a scary team if Oden is a 12/12 and 3bpg C who plays 70+ games, but not so much otherwise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts