Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's how the Blazers stack up offensively and defensively in this young season. (I've expressed everything in terms of BEST, even if we're near the bottom. So...1st is best, 30th is worst.)

Offensively:

We're the 29th most efficient team offensively in terms of points per 100 possessions.
We have the 28th best eFG% (effective FG%)
We're 21st in the league in turnovers per 100 poss.
We're 6th in the league in offensive rebounds per 100 poss.
We're 26th in the league in fg attempts to free throw attempts ratio.

Defensively.

Our defense is the 21st best in terms of points per 100 possessions.
We're 21st best in opponent eFG%.
We're 24th in forcing turnovers per 100 poss.
We're 19th in opponent offensive rebounding.
We're 2nd best in the opponent ratio of FGA to FTA.

So, the defense is slightly ahead of the offense. Which is like saying that a pile of **** stinks slightly less than a skunk.

PER averages: (league average is 15)

Zach Randolph: 22.3 - Borderline All-Star territory and he's only at 80%.
Darius Miles: 20.3 - Nice.
Charles Smith: 18.5 - Why isn't he playing?
Joel Przybilla: 15.0 - Why isn't he playing more?
Juan Dixon: 14.9 - Yet, everybody still hates him. Why?
Ruben Patterson: 12.8 - Yet, everybody still loves him. Why?
Jarrett Jack: 12.2 - Starting at point guard, from Georgia Tech...Number 4...Jarrett Jack!
Theo Ratliff: 11.3 - We have a trade to announce...
Sergei Monia: 11.2 - Not bad for a rookie who didn't score in his last 2 outings.
Sebastian Telfair: 9.6 - Yuck. Ranked #217 out of 257 qualified players.
Martell Webster: (negative 7.4) - Should be in the D-League.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Stats only show so much. Anybody who's watched any games can tell that Telfair runs the game better than Jack does.

I'm glad to see the rebounding numbers though......it means we're hustling. Those FT numbers on offense means we're relying too much on jump shots and not getting calls when we drive.

I'd like to see where we stand at the end of the year.....or a month by month breakdown on these numbers

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Those PER averages for Zach and Darius are cool to see, because of two things:

1 -- before the season, Zach was 18.9 and Darius was 14.8 or something like that. Darius and Outlaw, in fact ,were within .1 points of each other. It's good to see some early dominance by Darius (though if Outlaw had dominated, that would have been fine too -- as long as one of them broke out).

2 -- Most playoff teams have two players above 18. One is usually at 23 or so, and the other is between 18-21. A good 1-2 punch, if you will. Duncan and Parker, Shaq and Wade, etc. 1-2 punches win games, even if the supporting cast is mediocre.

So, yes, early on though it is, I'm pleased by the PER ratings so far. Telfair, at least, hasn't gotten worse. Jack has shown he is worth at least the 20.6 mpg he's getting, maybe more. We're a Steve Kerr away from winning these close games we're losing. Let's hope someone can step up and be that player.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RPCity said:
Stats only show so much. Anybody who's watched any games can tell that Telfair runs the game better than Jack does.
How much of that is because Jack is in with inferior players? He hasn't really gotten the chance to run with Miles and Randolph very much. On top of that, he's only played in 5 NBA games, while Telfair has played in 60+ games. Plus, he plays defense.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Fork said:
How much of that is because Jack is in with inferior players? He hasn't really gotten the chance to run with Miles and Randolph very much. On top of that, he's only played in 5 NBA games, while Telfair has played in 60+ games. Plus, he plays defense.
actually, in the NY game, Jack did play some decent mintues with Darius and Zach.

and can we please get off the "Jack plays defense" as if Telfair doesn't?

so far, outside of 1 block shot, Jack's "defense" hasn't exactly been any better than Telfairs.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hap said:
actually, in the NY game, Jack did play some decent mintues with Darius and Zach.

and can we please get off the "Jack plays defense" as if Telfair doesn't?

so far, outside of 1 block shot, Jack's "defense" hasn't exactly been any better than Telfairs.
So..blocked shots are the ONLY aspect of defense? I see Telfair constantly getting abused by bigger guards posting him up. I don't see that as much with Jack.

BTW, Jack has played 13 minutes with BOTH Randolph and Miles on the floor. Telfair has played 90.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Fork said:
So..blocked shots are the ONLY aspect of defense? I see Telfair constantly getting abused by bigger guards posting him up. I don't see that as much with Jack.

BTW, Jack has played 13 minutes with BOTH Randolph and Miles on the floor. Telfair has played 90.

you see telfair "constantly" getting abused by bigger guards posting him up? when? that hasn't been a huge problem (and obvously not "constantly").

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I think you have to look at it with the plus/minus as well. Dixon doesn't fair as well here. Zach's abscence speaks for itself. But, Monia's presence seems to be the best effect on the rest of the team offense.

Randolph +1.5 -36.7 +38.2
Monia +9.4 -10.7 +20.1
Miles -3.6 -17.0 +13.5
Ratliff -1.6 -11.0 +9.3
Przybilla -1.7 -10.7 +9.1
Telfair -2.7 -11.5 +8.8
Patterson -5.5 -7.1 +1.6
Smith -10.1 -5.5 -4.6
Jack -13.1 -1.4 -11.7
Dixon -17.1 -0.6 -16.5
Webster -37.9 -1.4 -36.5
Blake -43.4 -3.8 -39.6
Outlaw -128.0 -1.3 -126.7

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hap said:
you see telfair "constantly" getting abused by bigger guards posting him up? when? that hasn't been a huge problem (and obvously not "constantly").
Billups and Jaric posted him up several times each.

I forget what game it was, I think it was the Clippers in the preseason? They posted him up the first 3 times down the court. Pretty good sign the opposing team things he's the weak link.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Fork said:
Billups and Jaric posted him up several times each.

I forget what game it was, I think it was the Clippers in the preseason? They posted him up the first 3 times down the court. Pretty good sign the opposing team things he's the weak link.
3 times does not constant make.

several times, does not constant make.

If it was constant, they'd be doing it faaaar more than they are.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Fork said:
Here's how the Blazers stack up offensively and defensively in this young season. Charles Smith: 18.5 - Why isn't he playing?
I thought Smith played decent all around but didn't really demand attention or the ball. I think Nate is giving each guy a few games to see what they've got.

Joel Przybilla: 15.0 - Why isn't he playing more?
I thought it was because of foul trouble. Plus Theo has been rebounding like I never thought possible (although I think his defense is overrated).

Because he's a chucker and it's chukkar season. He can create his own shot, but that doesn't mean he should do it once per minute played (OK, that's not a real stat, but it wouldn't surprise me), especially since he's only had one game where he could hit the broad side of a barn.

Ruben Patterson: 12.8 - Yet, everybody still loves him. Why?
IMO it's because his hustle creates a bustle that is much more noticeable than, and in many people's minds completely forgives, his mistakes.

Sebastian Telfair: 9.6 - Yuck. Ranked #217 out of 257 qualified players.
Wow, that's shocking (but OTOH, I don't have any idea how the PER is calculated). He didn't play great the first couple of games but it looks like he's settling in and finding his role and his proper rhythm. I think he's running the team well, better than Jack, which is supported by Reep's plus-minus post.

Interesting data, Fork. Thanks for posting.

:clap:

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hap said:
3 times does not constant make.

several times, does not constant make.

If it was constant, they'd be doing it faaaar more than they are.
I like how you respond to this ONE aspect of what I posted, while ignoring the rest.

Jack has played 13 minutes with Miles and Randolph, while Telfair has played 90 minutes with those two. So, what you posted was wrong. I'm sure you won't respond to that.

And back to whether several makes a constant. Every guard who's bigger than Telfair posts him up a bunch of times during the game. That's the definition of regularity.

And when Cassell posted him up the first three times down the court, it's not as if that was the ONLY times he posted him up. He did it again several more times throughout the game. That's regularity.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Fork said:
I like how you respond to this ONE aspect of what I posted, while ignoring the rest.

Jack has played 13 minutes with Miles and Randolph, while Telfair has played 90 minutes with those two. So, what you posted was wrong. I'm sure you won't respond to that.

And back to whether several makes a constant. Every guard who's bigger than Telfair posts him up a bunch of times during the game. That's the definition of regularity.

And when Cassell posted him up the first three times down the court, it's not as if that was the ONLY times he posted him up. He did it again several more times throughout the game. That's regularity.
i addressed only 1 aspect because there wasnt much to respond with it.

I disagree that "every guard" whos bigger posts him up a bunch of times during the game, and that that is a problem.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
We're 2nd best in the opponent ratio of FGA to FTA.
What a bizarre statistic! Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I'm not at all sure... We're either really good at not putting guys on the line, or we're really bad at giving them lots of uncontested shot attempts.

I guarantee you his average was MUCH lower prior to the Detroit game, and I don't believe there's been any blatant hatin' on him since then.

Dan

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'll put another 2 cents in favor of Jack- I like his defense much better than Telfair's. I think we ignore half of the game too often... Telfair puts effort at defense, but I tend to like Jack's result better.

And regarding the stats, I think we need more minutes to analyze before the Hollinger stats can be well interpreted.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Add to the list of players who abused Telfair, his cousin, Stephon Marbury. For whatever reason, the Knicks stopped going to that mismatch (could've had something to do with Telfair sitting on the bench with foul trouble). Jack was far more effective in the Knicks' game, which I have to say, was the only game of the season so far that I can say I watched every minute of.

Oh - I also noticed Cassell basically owning Telfair in the preseason game. I would've loved to have seen Sam's over-under for that game. I bet it was ridiculous.

I like Telfair, and I think he'll get better, but he does have problems with taller guards. At least he's not as small as one former Blazer point guard who'll go nameless...

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
The Marbury-Telfair matchup was interesting to watch in the second half. It almost seemed like Marbury was giving Telfair too much respect, like he feared Bassy's speed. Once Telfair got agressive, Marbury really backed off. We've heard all about their rivalry growing up and how Bassy held his own in the occasional one-on-one game, but it's a bit hard to believe given the age difference. Watching them in the 2nd half really made me wonder, though.

Dan

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Fork, I have a quick question. Where did you find those stats? I've been looking and can't find any from this year. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gambitnut said:
Fork, I have a quick question. Where did you find those stats? I've been looking and can't find any from this year. Thanks.
www.knickerblogger.net

Definitely one of the best stats websites out there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts