Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I was allowed to post this article, since it's one of the best I've read in a while, but it's from ESPN Insider which is a paid subscription. The piece was written by John Hollinger, who is well respected for his statistical analysis, and he used to write for (I think) CNNSI.com. For those of you who have Insider, the link is here: http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&id=2019594

For those of you who don't, I'll summarize this for you.

Hollinger has come up with a system that measures how many possessions a player uses per 40 minutes. This system, called usage rate, takes things into consideration such as field goal attempts, free throw attempts, assists, and turnovers. Each field is weighted so a assist isn't the same as a field goal attempt, and so on. He multiplies that by the league average, divides it by the team pace and gets the number.

Well leading the league for the sixth time in seven years is Allen Iverson who comes out to about 34.6 possessions, he's followed by Kobe Bryant and Jermaine O'Neal who have 31.4 possessions per game. His chart shows Webber in Sacramento had 30.2 per game, and in Philly he has 25.4 per game. During the same period Webber's dropped 4.8 points since the trade, Iverson's has dipped down to only 33.3 in the same 12 game time frame.

In the end, he comes to two conclusions, one based on the ideal situation with Iverson, and another based on the situation that is. They both sound pretty familiar. He says it would be ideal for the Sixers to surround Iverson with players who are highly effecient, who don't need as many shots; which is what sliccat has been saying all season. And with what we have here, he says that Iverson needs to adjust more to Webber than vice versa, which is what I was saying.

Interesting read, and I butchered his stats, and did the man no justice whatsoever.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It was posted on another forum, and its hard to argue against. I guess the reason why so many people don't like to acknowledge that is because they see AI pouring out everything he has every night. I think his heart makes up for a lot of his deficiencies

·
Wrong About Everything
13,525 Posts
He says it would be ideal for the Sixers to surround Iverson with players who are highly effecient, who don't need as many shots; which is what sliccat has been saying all season.
Well, thanks for the shout out, but what I've been saying is that they need to surround AI with people who can score, but don't need the ball so much, and can go stretches without shooting and not lose momentum. An example of that line up would be Kyle Korver, Shawn Marion, Dwight Howard, and Sam Dalembert. If you were saying that's what I was saying, then never mind.

The piece was written by John Hollinger, who is well respected for his statistical analysis
Like Jim O'Brien?

·
Wrong About Everything
13,525 Posts
I don't think AI is a ball hog. I think whatever ability he has that allows him to ignore injuries makes him ignore it when he gets cold. Aside from those 5-25 games he does a great job of getting the ball where it needs to be.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sliccat said:
Well, thanks for the shout out, but what I've been saying is that they need to surround AI with people who can score, but don't need the ball so much, and can go stretches without shooting and not lose momentum. An example of that line up would be Kyle Korver, Shawn Marion, Dwight Howard, and Sam Dalembert. If you were saying that's what I was saying, then never mind.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was referring to. According to his stats Korver only has the ball 14.8 possessions a game, yet he shoots the second highest FG percentage for SFs.

Like Jim O'Brien?
You can say that, I'm sure I'd enjoy reading Jim O'Brien articles about statistical analysis a lot more than I'd enjoy watching John Hollinger coach FWIW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts