Martin
Jefferson
Kittles
Kidd

Jason Collins
Aaron Williams
Brandon Armstrong
Luscious Harris
Chris Childs ( ne may b*tchslap Kobe again in next year's finals LOL )

That is a very strong defensive side

They need another scorer / reliable outside shooter on the wing and I reckon they can really shake it up

·
Registered
22 Posts
Zeke?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I think rather, the Nets just..

....stepped in a pile of mess with that transaction. Look for Kidd to bolt sooner than later. KMART is gonna take up where Rodman left off....IMHO.:yes:

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I don't know what to think about this trade, to be honest.

In the short term, I'm not sure it benefits the Nets. Deke is an enforcer in the paint, but it really leaves them reliant on Richard Jefferson and KMart to step up and provide some scoring punch. They could be the best defensive team in the league with those two guys, Deke, and Kidd. Also, Deke seemed to have noticeably slowed down last year. He posted career lows in shot blocking and rebounds, and that's his game (lol, and those totals were a bit inflated I think because of all the times he blew up Curry and Dillybar last year :) ). I like the D, I'm just not sure where their points will come from. Maybe they could pick up a guy like Lamond Murray to help them out there.

In the longer run, they got rid of Van Horn, who while young and talented, has an absolutely ridiculous contract and who curled up into the fetal position when the going got tough last year. They get salary cap space sooner, and if they can entice kidd to stay and and then pick up Garnett or Duncan next year maybe they've got a future.

For the Sixers.... well Larry Brown seems to enjoy blowing his team up every year, and maybe this one will work out. McCullough is a more than serviceable center, I have no problem with the deal from that perspective. The Sixers are getting a young, decent center at an ok price (at least for a center).

Then there's Van Horn. On the plus side, he adds scoring punch. The real catch to me is that he also seems to me to be exactly the kind of player that will drive Brown up the wall and the player into his doghouse (to wit, Jalen Rose, Tony Kukoc). Truth be told, I think Jalen and Toni (when healthy) are both better than Van Horn. I predict Brown will end up wanting to kill him. Problem is, Van Horn's contract is widely viewed around the league as a white elephant... who will he eventually be unloaded on?

Best case scenario is that Keith Ds up, and they've got a lineup of
McCullogh, Coleman, Van Horn, AI, and Snow. That's a very good defensive team, aside from Van Horn, and very big, physical team aside from AI. Aside from Aaron McKie and Greg Buckner though, their depth leaves a lot to be desired, Their depth leaves a lot to be desired, especially when their starters are somewhat brittle.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I"m going to talk about the postives and the negatives things about this trade for both teams. Also going to give my explainantion and my opinions who won in this trade.....Here it is

Positives:

New Jersey Nets

-Teams need a desperatly a legit center and New Jersey grab a decent center one of the best in the leagues well not better then Shaq but you get the point.

-Last year they went to the finals with Jason Kidd make a team better and now they add a decent center who still have some game left in him which now they become a top serious contendor team which will try for a run to go to the finals again this coming season especially try to match up Shaq and the Lakers.

-They add a defensive pressure in down low more. Also add more great defensive team stronger more on their depth.

-They are a serious team in the eastern coferences and make this team more for REAL.

-With adding Mutombo which a possible trying to keep Jason Kidd with the Nets when he become a free agent or possible sign a contract exstension somtime this offseason.

-Also they add more depth of getting the boards which Deke can add the rebounding as well as the defensive pressure.

Negatives:

-New Jersey Nets lost a scorer which they need another scorer a couple more scoers they only have one scorer in this team. Which probably lacking of scoring if they can't get another scorer for this team.

-I know I say Mutombo have some game left in him but the bad news is that he's getting older and showing signs of losing his just say out of tank which might be a bad thing for the Nets.

Positives:

Philidelphia 76ers

-Philidelphia 76ers add second scorer threat which they desperatly need for the last few years so pressure won't be much for Allen Iverson.

-Not only add another scorer along Van Horn add more percentages this team will be an offensive threat.

-I know Todd Mac is not like Deke but he could help a bit with this team he did a good job not great but a good job two years ago when he play for the Sixers behind Deke which he could help a bit rebounding even though again he's not Deke but could help this team in a long run.

Negatives:

-They lost one of the best center in the league.

-They lost a great defensive player down low and also lost a great rebounder to crash the boards.

-Back about defensive this team will be lacking in the defensive pressure more in down low other teams have a possible scoring left and right when they play this team down low.

My Opinions:

This could be a good trade for both teams for the team's needs but right now I have to say that the Nets won this trade which they have a one of the best legit center which add more defensive pressure to at least try to match up Shaq and be a serious top contendor more then the 76ers.

Well this is all folks

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
I can't believe I spent 100 yen (~$1 US) for ten minutes of Internet. I'm at Narita airport, on a layover from Korea to Chicago O'Hare... and I'm spending it on BASKETBALLBOARDS.NET?? Wow, how devoted I must be. What a great mod you all have.

Anyway. =)

Mutombo is going to be helpful for the Nets, but I think the Sixers made the mistake of picking up Dikembe for THEIR championship run back two seasons ago. MacCulloch is never going to be a monster center, but he's large enough to body up against anyone else in the league (except Shaq) and having a soft touch in the paint was kind of nice to rely on for a fourth/fifth offensive option.

Consider what Mutombo brings to the Nets, as pduh has pointed out: rebounding, defense, shot-blocking. Force in paint.

True, MacCulloch was not quite those things. True, the Nets got pounded by Shaq. But consider how their team was otherwise... pretty dang good.

As some NBA analysts have claimed, and I agree, the way to beat the Lakers is to ignore Shaq. Let him get his 35 pts, 15 boards, etc. Send him to the line a few times but no reason to shrink your lineup over him.

Rather, focus on outgunning the Lakers from the outside. Fox and Bryant are the only real perimeter defenders on the team, with Horry being able to contest with quick-for-their-size type jump shooting big men. Kenyon showed that he can get his against the Lakers. Kidd can still run the floor. Jefferson was a rookie but he didn't buckle too much, and he'll show a huge offensive improvement in his sophomore year.

I think the REAL benefit of this trade is not the addition of Mutombo, although it is a significant upgrade on MacCulloch. The real benefit is being able to shift Martin to the PF spot, where he can really thrive, and promoting Jefferson to the starting lineup, where he can also thrive. It's true, Jefferson and Martin are being expected to step up their games, but I think that it's a safe assumption that they will. I'm especially big on Richard Jefferson... I thought the Eddie Griffin trade was horrible for the Rockets simply because they gave up Jefferson. That block he had in the NCAA tournament two years ago was phenomenal...

However, in the end, the difference between the Nets of 2003 and the Sixers of 2001 is simply this: Jason Kidd. He is a chemistry CREATOR, and this is his team. The Sixers of 2001 lost a lot of the chemistry they had when they had Mutombo, and it was difficult for them to find it again in time for the playoffs.

But Kidd makes it so that management has some more free rein to tamper with the lineup, because Kidd can make it all happen. They believe it, and they should.

So, Nets go to the Finals. It'll be a sad surprise when they find that they are facing the Kings next year, instead of the Lakers, and that interior defense doesn't mean much to the hot hand of Peja, the better-than-a-big-man killer J of Webber, and the smarts of Mike Bibby that rival those of the young Jason Kidd.

But it's worth a shot, anyway.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Showtyme

I back Kidd over Bibby - Bibby getting his own offense is better than Kidd in this regard , but Kidd ( IMO ) is the premier back court defender in the game

Kenyon is quick enough to go outside and guard CWebb on the perimeter .

Kittles is dangerous in the passing lanes , as is Kidd- added to which the Kings perimeter passing game is kept second guessing with Kidd in the lanes igniting the transition offense

In short , I would see CWebb having to take Kenyon inside and post him . With CWebb's masterful passing ability out of the post , I think there is more room that opens up outside for Peja , Bibby , Hedo , Jackson and... Vlade , who can hit from range

Which gets me thinking if Vlade clears the post and heads out for the shot, Kenyon would have to take him outside with Deke taking CWebb inside

But the point is - against the Nets , I see the offense being more flowing through CWebb in the post to open up their bevy of shooters

This is where Jefferson becomes important if he can step up to the next level in leading the perimeter defense with Kidd

Overall , I really like the Nets chances with the decisions they have made

If Jason Collins can kick on and play with the same type of spunk he showed in the finals and if Jefferson can step it up , AND if they add another quality outside shooter/scorer, then I really think they have a shot at winning it al

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I just thought of it - the guy the Nets need is Walt Williams

They only have the vets minumum exception to use and he would be the perfect back up as a designated shooter off the bench

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
Basically I think MacCollough was the Nets version of Brad Miller. Jason Collins (their Eddy) is already showing that he'll be the better NBA player. Nets move Todd and bring in Deke for a few good years and to teach some flaming defense to Jason. Van Horn is their Fizer. All "O", no "D", poor decisions, weak when it's time to get strong.

Good move by New Jersey. They become stronger short-term, and don't hurt their team long-term.

Sixers? Who thinks trading Deke for two white guys will make the Gangsta happy? Bad move.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The Sixers need to bring Croce back. What is going on there?

The logic of this trade is getting Van Horn, who is still fairly young and had shown a good game in his early seasons. McCullough was already a Sixer before, so they know he is pretty stiff. Now they get him back with a huge price tag. They are thinking about getting younger, but in the process they have destroyed an NBA finals team.

The trade they made to get Mutumbo was a bit strange, seeing as they had the best record by far in the east at the time. Then they get to the finals and proceed to blow up their team the next 2 offseasons.

I can't remember who was starting for the Sixers in their NBA finals appearance, but it certainly wasn't Derrick Coleman and Matt harpring. You bring in 2 new starters the year after you make the finals, then trade Mutumbo for 2 stiffs to get younger. I know Mutumbo only has a few years left, but it is basically the Sixers saying they are in a rebuilding mode. Looking at that team now I just don't see any chemistry. They may struggle to get to the playoffs.

·
Registered
642 Posts
2 things perplex me about this trade.

1. Why on earth would the sixers give up good value for KVH after he almost completely disappeared in the playoffs last year?

2. Where the heck were the Mav's in all of this? They are well aware of the fact that their number one need is an interior defender, and Deke is still one of the best in the league. Motumbo to the Mavs seems like a match made in heaven and Dallas should have been able to make up a much more enticing package than the one built around KVH. Getting Motumbo would IMO have put the Mavs up with the Lakers and Kings as the favorites to win it all next year. Instead they focus on adding a player they really have no need for in Lewis.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Potatoe</b>!
2 things perplex me about this trade.

1. Why on earth would the sixers give up good value for KVH after he almost completely disappeared in the playoffs last year?

2. Where the heck were the Mav's in all of this? They are well aware of the fact that their number one need is an interior defender, and Deke is still one of the best in the league. Motumbo to the Mavs seems like a match made in heaven and Dallas should have been able to make up a much more enticing package than the one built around KVH. Getting Motumbo would IMO have put the Mavs up with the Lakers and Kings as the favorites to win it all next year. Instead they focus on adding a player they really have no need for in Lewis.
I know. Im confused on this one myself. Its almost as if they know they wont compete for the eastern championship, so they let Dekembe go.

As for the Nets. Hands down, they are the team to beat in the east.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts