Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the article in today's Columbian on Viktor Khryapa.

Pretty cool background on the guy that I hadn't read before. However, somebody's gotta teach the guy how to live:

Khryapa's wife Kate came to the U.S. after the surgery, and they're thinking about renting a house in Tigard at some point. For now, they live in a hotel in Gresham.
Renting in Tigard? A hotel in Gresham?

No offense to Gresham, but Viktor... c'mon. You can do better than that, buddy. You're on a guaranteed contract now. Live a little. :)

-Pop

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Lots of nba players live in hotels, IIRC Zach still does. FWIW, actor Warren Beatty has lived in hotels for most of his adult life.

Nice article, thanks for the link

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
nothing wrong with (parts of) Tigard.

I think if I ever won the lotto, or got an NBA contract (I just need to grown another foot taller and I'm set!) I'd live a meager life. Especially if I grew up in a culture that wasn't about bling bling like ours is (comparatively).

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
If Warren and Zach had a reputation for staying in places like Gresham then I can understand.....Whn I think Gresham I think Super 8....Motel 6 etc etc...

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
also, I think that there is a higher # of russians in the Gresham area of Portland (as much as Gresham is a "part" of Portland). Maybe he feels more at home there, because there's a large number of "his people" there.

I don't know, I'm not russian.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Hap said:
also, I think that there is a higher # of russians in the Gresham area of Portland (as much as Gresham is a "part" of Portland). Maybe he feels more at home there, because there's a large number of "his people" there.

Good point Hap, and true. Vancouver also has a large Russian population.

Nice avatar Hap, my son and I watched that movie the other day.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hap said:

More Mexicans then anything out here. Lots of Romanian's also, but I don't see to many ruskies.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thanks for the article link SPop! I have liked Kree since his first significant appearance when he actually looked around under the basket and boxed out while a shot was in the air. He is fun to watch.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I know for a fact that Zach used to rent a house in my neighborhood. The thing is, from people i know that have been in it, it was a really crappy house. No offense to Zach. Seems like with his contract he might be in the market for a "nice" house.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hey HAP, "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker....."

And yeah, I probably wouldn't rent some junk house or apartment. I would probably rent or buy a nice flat downtown.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Hap said:
nothing wrong with (parts of) Tigard.

I think if I ever won the lotto, or got an NBA contract (I just need to grown another foot taller and I'm set!) I'd live a meager life. Especially if I grew up in a culture that wasn't about bling bling like ours is (comparatively).
I agree, it's nice to see rich people not get caught up in their own moeny. The whole 'bling' culture is mostly a North American phenomenon, so I don't really expect our foreign guys to develop such a mentality... well, I hope, at least.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
sherwood or kingcity maybe beaverton, save as much money as i could, I wouldnt need a huge or special place.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
There is a large number of thugs on MLK...But I dont see Darius or Zach living there.......j/k

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Hap said:
neither is Viktor.. he is Ukrainian... :D despite what the Blazer roster says...

Viktor's profile

Monia is Russian though :D

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
There is a large number of thugs on MLK...But I dont see Darius or Zach living there.......j/k
I disagree with your statement that there are a large number of thugs on MLK.

It's not Lake Oswego, but it certainly isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Things have changed... in a big way over the past few years.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
HearToTemptYou said:
I disagree with your statement that there are a large number of thugs on MLK.

It's not Lake Oswego, but it certainly isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Things have changed... in a big way over the past few years.

I grew up in St. Johns and I also lived on Killingsworth just a couple blocks off of MLK and it all depends on what part on MLK you are on.....

Before they knocked down the villa in St. Johns (not sure if your familiar with that area) there was a lot of stuff going down there as well.....

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
I grew up in St. Johns and I also lived on Killingsworth just a couple blocks off of MLK and it all depends on what part on MLK you are on.....

Before they knocked down the villa in St. Johns (not sure if your familiar with that area) there was a lot of stuff going down there as well.....
I know the area. I live and have grown up in North Portland.

St. Johns is a bit further North then I am, but I spend a bit of time up there.

I do gotta say that North Portland in general certainly is a lot better now-a-days then it was about 7 or 8 years ago.

I use to play basketball at Irving park and Peninsula all the time when I was little. There were a few scary incidents, but I won't get into that here! Something to talk about in a different thread perhaps.

Anyway, just so I don't completely take this thread off the topic at hand:

I wonder how many players wait until they are off their rookie contracts before updating their living quarters...

My self personally, I don't think I'd much like living in a Hotel. Can you imagine the bill?

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I do gotta say that North Portland in general certainly is a lot better now-a-days then it was about 7 or 8 years ago.
Agreed. But it's still not very good.

I use to play basketball at Irving park and Peninsula all the time when I was little.
I played a little bit at Irving park, but mostly I grew up over at Overlook and Columbia Parks.....What high school/middle school did you go to?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
HearToTemptYou said:
I wonder how many players wait until they are off their rookie contracts before updating their living quarters...

My self personally, I don't think I'd much like living in a Hotel. Can you imagine the bill?
It certainly seems odd that as many people go the hotel route as seem to. A hotel stay (even a $40 / day place) is gonna run a lot more than renting or buying a similar or better quality place. I suppose when you first get to a city a hotel might make sense but after getting to know one's way around, I'd think moving would be high on the priority list for most folks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts