Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

121 - 140 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
While you might not believe it...there's plenty of us here who are well aware this team can be bounced in the semifinals and don't believe they're god's gift to basketball. I think tonight proved it.
4-20 from 3 as a team (1-7 by Everett) with Lamb going 2 for 10 from the floor and 19 turnovers. UVM will go as far as their outside shooting takes them this year. I thought lamb did a decent job playing within himself for most of the game (with some nice feeds to Davis) but if others aren't stepping up, they can easily get bounced early.

·
Premium Member
32,929 Posts
4-20 from 3 as a team (1-7 by Everett) with Lamb going 2 for 10 from the floor and 19 turnovers. UVM will go as far as their outside shooting takes them this year. I thought lamb did a decent job playing within himself for most of the game (with some nice feeds to Davis) but if others aren't stepping up, they can easily get bounced early.
Agreed.

For anyone watching that knows what they were seeing, Davis scored 22pts because of Lamb and all the attention he was requiring defensively.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Maine played great D, Vermont’s guards couldn’t get to the hoop, great defense all around. EvD was horrible, 1-7 from three point line and most of them were wide open. Everyone save Davis was ineffective on offense. Brutal game by the cats. Maine will compete in most of their games this year. They played hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #128 (Edited)
Both Everett and Shungu struggled worse than Lamb tonight, not sure what was up with Benny.

Everett disappears in far too many games and as a senior that can no longer happen. Not really sure what to say at this point, he’s still averaging close to 30mpg and shooting 29% on 3s....he used to be a lot more consistent and make 3s. If you want to talk about someone that’s actually not the same player, there you go.
Everett’s ineffectiveness shouldn’t surprise anyone. His minutes should be given to Bailey and Powell....but they won’t. He didn’t make any major mistakes and made a few good shots, but just not a dynamic that adds value to the add.

Shungu was called for a lot of ticky-tack fouls which seemed to get to him. Otherwise he was fairly active rebounding and on defense. It was Stef who dragged UVM down. Bad passes, bad decision making, ineffective defense and ugly turnovers. I had fairly high expectations for Smith this year but have not been impressed with what I’ve seen.

The worst performance of the night by far came from the refs. Good god were they inconsistent and bad, not that one team benefited over the other. They looked Like drunk white girls trying to throw darts.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I felt bad for the sideline reporter on ESPN+ . Both coaches were majorly ticked off and the poor guy had to just smile and ask his pat questions.

I wonder if Lamb has a nagging injury. He does not look like the same guy (swarming defenses and a downgrade in supporting cast notwithstanding).

Everett's struggles from 3 are very puzzling. We really need him to step it up and hoping he does.

Maine played really heard and gummed up the game. Kudos to them. I also think UVM took them lightly w/o El Darwich. I think Becker agrees, I've never seen him so seething at halftime or even after the game

·
Premium Member
32,929 Posts
The ball is being taken out of Lamb’s hands and it’s likely pretty frustrating for him, plus having two guys on him every single game, and last night getting away with a lot of physicality bumping/shoving/hooking him.

Pretty much every AE team is going to double Lamb in the post, and even run a third at him. Why wouldn’t they? If they play him man and don’t he scores 25pts+ they are guaranteed an L. At least this way, they have a fighting chance when Lamb kicks it out to someone shooting 20% from 3....

He’s been incredibly patient and unselfish likely from the urging of Becker, but it’s resulting in not a lot of FG attempts for him. When his teammates are “on” we’re going to see 20pt wins like Bing/UMBC and when they’re off we’re going to squeak by in a 2pt win against Maine

I have no idea why any AE team would play him straight up the rest of the way-maybe if Davis keeps scoring 20(?)-so folks might need to get used to 10-14ppg in AE play instead of 18-20. Or maybe things will change and he’ll go back out on the wing more, not sure.

One positive thing, it was nice to see us win a close game given what we did against Stony Brook. Not the best effort last night obviously but they did what they needed to win and didn’t give it away. Winning close games important.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The ball is being taken out of Lamb’s hands and it’s likely pretty frustrating for him, plus having two guys on him every single game, and last night getting away with a lot of physicality bumping/shoving/hooking him.

Pretty much every AE team is going to double Lamb in the post, and even run a third at him. Why wouldn’t they? If they play him man and don’t he scores 25pts+ they are guaranteed an L. At least this way, they have a fighting chance when Lamb kicks it out to someone shooting 20% from 3....

He’s been incredibly patient and unselfish likely from the urging of Becker, but it’s resulting in not a lot of FG attempts for him. When his teammates are “on” we’re going to see 20pt wins like Bing/UMBC and when they’re off we’re going to squeak by in a 2pt win against Maine

I have no idea why any AE team would play him straight up the rest of the way-maybe if Davis keeps scoring 20(?)-so folks might need to get used to 10-14ppg in AE play instead of 18-20. Or maybe things will change and he’ll go back out on the wing more, not sure.

One positive thing, it was nice to see us win a close game given what we did against Stony Brook. Not the best effort last night obviously but they did what they needed to win and didn’t give it away. Winning close games important.
It really is pretty much that simple at this stage. There is no other strategy that makes any sense for an opposing coach. We haven’t proven we can make you pay for it consistently. We’ll get open looks from 3 but if they don’t fall, we’re vulnerable to any team.

·
Premium Member
32,929 Posts
One thing we haven’t been seeing as much lately since conference play began is very few mid-range jump shots from Anthony- seems like everything has been either a 2ft shot in the paint or a 3 pointer. I think he’s a very good mid-range jump shooter, and reality is that’s probably a better shot for the team then an open 3 from most of our other guys. I know on paper in theory it’s not, but for us it probably is. Maybe we bring him back out to the wing more to get more involved.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Everett’s ineffectiveness shouldn’t surprise anyone. His minutes should be given to Bailey and Powell....but they won’t. He didn’t make any major mistakes and made a few good shots, but just not a dynamic that adds value to the.
Clearly EvD is struggling, but I don’t agree with this. With Lamb being double and triple teamed you need 3 point shooters on the floor. EvD has been solid in the past and he is their best three point shooter, even though the numbers currently say otherwise. EvD has to be able to hit open 3s for UVM to be successful beyond the AE regular season, so I think you gotta ride through this slump.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
It looks like Lamb took the seat out and fends him off with his right hand but when Fleming tried to sell it he sent his body in the wrong direction

If you can't see Fleming tripping over Lamb's right foot then you are blind. Fleming is not the most graceful player and he awkwardly fell backwards to the floor. It should have been a no call....I'm not sure why you Vermont fans are so bent out of shape over it.....it's not like Lamb was called for the foul.

·
Premium Member
32,929 Posts
Clearly EvD is struggling, but I don’t agree with this. With Lamb being double and triple teamed you need 3 point shooters on the floor. EvD has been solid in the past and he is their best three point shooter, even though the numbers currently say otherwise. EvD has to be able to hit open 3s for UVM to be successful beyond the AE regular season, so I think you gotta ride through this slump.

Here’s the thing though- at some point you are what you are, and right now we’re not a good 3pt shooting team. Barely shooting 30%, 8th in the conference. When was last time a UVM team was 8th? This is mostly guys under performing but also roster construction/recruiting. We haven’t really prioritized the 3pt shot in last few classes. Yeah, Everett was once a great 3pt shooter but that was two seasons ago. You hear Becker, “once again we struggled shooting from 3 and hope we start making them”. Hopefully... I hope we can hope the ball into the hoop. As for Everett, you def have to ride with him because as not good as he’s been from 3 I don’t see better options on the roster currently.

The thing I’m most fearful of in a post-Lamb world is how the f is this team going to score(?). Lamb is creating wide open looks from 3 and we still can’t hit them, what happens next year when all those open 3s disappear and become contested? Sure, an interior defensive big is always nice to have but it won’t matter much if we’re scoring in the 40s and 50s.

·
Premium Member
32,929 Posts
If you can't see Fleming tripping over Lamb's right foot then you are blind. Fleming is not the most graceful player and he awkwardly fell backwards to the floor. It should have been a no call....I'm not sure why you Vermont fans are so bent out of shape over it.....it's not like Lamb was called for the foul.
If you can’t see Fleming untouched launching his body backwards to flop then you’re just seeing what you want to see. That’s why the refs ( correctly) called a tech for flopping lol.

It was like the second or third time he did it. Was watching the game and then all of a sudden Fleming would go diving out of the frame lol.

Not bent out of shape about it, just found it funny to watch. Very obvious/blatant from a player that knows better.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here’s the thing though- at some point you are what you are, and right now we’re not a good 3pt shooting team. Barely shooting 30%, 8th in the conference. When was last time a UVM team was 8th? This is mostly guys under performing but also roster construction/recruiting. We haven’t really prioritized the 3pt shot in last few classes. Yeah, Everett was once a great 3pt shooter but that was two seasons ago. You hear Becker, “once again we struggled shooting from 3 and hope we start making them”. Hopefully... I hope we can hope the ball into the hoop. As for Everett, you def have to ride with him because as not good as he’s been from 3 I don’t see better options on the roster currently.

The thing I’m most fearful of in a post-Lamb world is how the f is this team going to score(?). Lamb is creating wide open looks from 3 and we still can’t hit them, what happens next year when all those open 3s disappear and become contested? Sure, an interior defensive big is always nice to have but it won’t matter much if we’re scoring in the 40s and 50s.
I agree with a lot of comments, but to add a couple.
When Giddens is on the floor, Lamb tends to roam the 3 line. No place low for him, as Giddens takes the space.
When Davis is on the floor the lane opens up more as Davis likes to shoot from the wing or the 3. Though last night
he was very aggressive around the hoop.
Let Lamb keep working the foul line and wing area inside the ark, but would like to see him be more prepared to catch and shoot from there. when he is high at the foul line he definitely does a great of catch and feed the open shooters. They have to make some.
Like that he is not over extending to take silly shots and is playing team game.(y)

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
If you can’t see Fleming untouched launching his body backwards to flop then you’re just seeing what you want to see. That’s why the refs ( correctly) called a tech for flopping lol.

It was like the second or third time he did it. Was watching the game and then all of a sudden Fleming would go diving out of the frame lol.

Not bent out of shape about it, just found it funny to watch. Very obvious/blatant from a player that knows better.
Your blind love & loyalty is blinding you to what happened....it's right there in the video. If you look at only Fleming's left foot & Lamb's right foot.....both of their feet are on the floor and Fleming falls backward over his foot. Fleming doesn't have eyes in the back of his head....and there is this thing called gravity. If you are leaning backwards to begin with and your foot hits an immovable object (Lamb's right foot).....you are falling down. The refs were watching the ball. It happened quickly and they went to review.....I think that they reacted to how Fleming fell rather than why he fell. It should have been a no call.....period.

I know that it's hard for you.....but we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

·
Premium Member
32,929 Posts
Your blind love & loyalty is blinding you to what happened....it's right there in the video. If you look at only Fleming's left foot & Lamb's right foot.....both of their feet are on the floor and Fleming falls backward over his foot. Fleming doesn't have eyes in the back of his head....and there is this thing called gravity. If you are leaning backwards to begin with and your foot hits an immovable object (Lamb's right foot).....you are falling down. The refs were watching the ball. It happened quickly and they went to review.....I think that they reacted to how Fleming fell rather than why he fell. It should have been a no call.....period.

I know that it's hard for you.....but we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
With all due respect, this is wrong. What you’re describing is incorrect. Fleming flopped multiple times and it’s why he was ultimately awarded a technical for it, after video review and discussion. In the video Lamb physically isn’t near Fleming when he dives backward.

What Fleming was doing is literally why the flopping rule exists, and he was obviously warned about it once prior to have it result in a tech.

Case closed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Given the week college hoops have had so far these refs were lucky it didn’t get out of hand. It would have been scrappy with good refs but their inconsistency on both sides really fueled the rough contact. Although the camera man sucked, I am kind of glad I missed Bailey go down. There is a fine line of letting them play and enforcing player control. These refs had no clue what that is.

121 - 140 of 178 Posts