Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Realist/A-hole
5,514 Posts
And I would really like to give kudos to Maine's 3 freshman guards Stumer, Okoh & Wright-McLeish for clamping down on Vermont's guards and also doing a bit of scoring themselves to keep Maine in the game. Also, you had to be impressed with So. Solomon Iluyomade for his defensive work inside and going 4-4 from the line when the game was very much in doubt. Making it more impressive...he was wearing a leg brace which really limited his mobility.
They are playing worlds better than at the start of the year.

·
Registered
14,033 Posts
A
The way the game was played (a rockfight, and kudos to Maine for making it that, it was their best way to win) made it even harder to ref
I see a few references to refs by UVM fans here...STFU...foul count was 19 for Vermont and 18 for Maine. Anyone suggesting that the refs were the reason for a 2pt split is a cry-baby.

·
Premium Member
32,929 Posts
I think the comments about refs don’t have to do with any one-sided foul differential, more the fact they let the game get way too physical and kind of out of control.

Think Barron is the one that had the most issues with the officiating, clearly.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,514 Posts
A

I see a few references to refs by UVM fans here...STFU...foul count was 19 for Vermont and 18 for Maine. Anyone suggesting that the refs were the reason for a 2pt split is a cry-baby.
Literally no one was crying about the foul counts. It was the fact that they never established control. If you give out flop warnings early, you don't end up with the flop fest it turned into. Maine was obviously frustrated to the point Barron complained at the halftime interview. Maine's announcers, who are usually pretty impartial, started to complain. Maine started flopping to try to get the calls they felt they weren't getting otherwise. Just a total shit show for the teams and anyone trying to watch.

·
Registered
14,033 Posts
Sheesh. Take the W and get out of town. Kudos to Maine, that’s one strategy to employ and proved to be effective tonight: Be as physical as possible and see what the refs will let you get away with. Almost worked.
As I said in my initial post, if Maine can keep it within 20 it’s progress. With another ref crew maybe it’s not, but I digress. Either way, Barron gets to keep his job from MaineJeff...for today.
Really, no one complaining about refs? HoopCat basically saying refs caused the margin to be what it was. I should rephrase my above comment is...same guy as always not satisfied with win has to explain away why UVM sucked...it's not all that awesome 4 star talent but the refs...definitely the refs.And Lamb is clearly the same player as last year, just that he's getting mugged game in and game out by 3 guys borderline assaulting him. Becker should call the po-po. At least Lamb will be rid of this BS conference next year when he's lighting up the Houston Rockets for 40+...

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
I long for the days when Maine will actually get credit for something. I thought that Maine played about as well as they could given the circumstances (their best player being out). I'm not a huge Fleming fan....I think that he is overrated. That being said....it was a very physical game and Lamb is going to get the benefit of the doubt most off the time. I thought that Fleming played within himself and performed much better than I've seen him play in the past.

I also think that this Maine coaching staff is very underrated. Yes, they still have to prove that they can build a winning program....but there are some good basketball minds on that bench. I hope that they can keep the staff together for at least one more season.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,514 Posts
Really, no one complaining about refs? HoopCat basically saying refs caused the margin to be what it was. I should rephrase my above comment is...same guy as always not satisfied with win has to explain away why UVM sucked...it's not all that awesome 4 star talent but the refs...definitely the refs.And Lamb is clearly the same player as last year, just that he's getting mugged game in and game out by 3 guys borderline assaulting him. Becker should call the po-po. At least Lamb will be rid of this BS conference next year when he's lighting up the Houston Rockets for 40+...
I think everyone can agree that he operates in his own reality.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,514 Posts
I long for the days when Maine will actually get credit for something. I thought that Maine played about as well as they could given the circumstances (their best player being out). I'm not a huge Fleming fan....I think that he is overrated. That being said....it was a very physical game and Lamb is going to get the benefit of the doubt most off the time. I thought that Fleming played within himself and performed much better than I've seen him play in the past.

I also think that this Maine coaching staff is very underrated. Yes, they still have to prove that they can build a winning program....but there are some good basketball minds on that bench. I hope that they can keep the staff together for at least one more season.
Pretty much everyone who saw the floor for Maine stepped up and contributed at one point or another. That was the best defense they played against us in quite some time.

·
Premium Member
32,929 Posts
I am a Fleming fan, I actually think he's pretty underrated personally. That being said, I feel like this really wasn't his best game. I thought while focusing on playing hard and physical is obviously part of the effective, well-planned Maine game plan, there was a bit too much extracurriculars and he was focused a little too much on being physical w/ Lamb, and then the Flopping was really unnecessary from a player with his ability. It seemed like focusing on those things took him out of his game.

·
Premium Member
32,929 Posts
Yeah, no- not what I'm saying at all. Reading comprehension and inference ability not your strengths.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Long argument from a delusional person who everyone knows refuses to admit he's ever wrong ending once more in calling out people's reading comprehension because we all couldn't possibly be smarter than him.

In the words of Jon Rothstein, it's more reliable than A Few Good Men on a rainy Sunday.

·
Premium Member
32,929 Posts
Perhaps you're correct...English is, after-all, my second language. You've bested me yet again!
You're literally attributing things to me that a. I didn't write b. am not thinking so just pointing it out in a direct way.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Maine played tight defense, guarding close enough to disrupt the ball handler. The lower teams in the AE generally don't play this way. Those defenders stay back 4' or so, maybe with their hand raised, to avoid being blown-by. It's a lack of confidence issue. Maine seems to have turned one of the toughest corners in basketball by learning to trust that help will be there and it makes all the difference in the world as to how disruptive their defense is.

·
Registered
36 Posts
UVM fan here who complained about the officiating.. this match up is known to be physical and they let it go too far at times and then gave touch fouls at other times for both benches. They did not have this game under control. They were lucky that the players exhibited self control given the frustrating circumstances. So Kudos to both teams who played a very physical game.

·
Gr8t Dane
689 Posts
Just wanted to take this opportunity to pat myself on the back for comments I made before the opening game when Maine played SBU. I predicted they would only lose by 5 or something like that and got made fun of. I was clearly wrong with that game, but I followed after saying that I had seen some good things watching a few of their games in the OOC. If they have a few players put together a good game on the same night they would give some teams fits and they would win a few games they shouldn't.

Guess I should have made that prediction for this game instead of the SBU game. Either way, this Maine team will end up with a win against 1 or more of UVM, SBU, UA, or Hartford this season (the current top 4) and that teams fans will be irrationally upset about it. Hopefully it's SBU since Salty was the one who laughed at the comment for game 1.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think the next stretch will be pretty informative. Maine has a weird conference schedule this year. They just played 3 in a row at home and now have 4 out of 5 on the road. They only have one road win this year and that was CCSU. The last two road outings against Albany and UNH were competitive losses, and then came the strong 3 games at home. Several of the upcoming road games are definitely winnable, so hopefully they can keep the momentum.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts